Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased Used P85, Not Free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used 2014 P85 from a dealership about a month ago. Got Tesla to transfer into my name about 1.5 weeks later. I noticed in My Account, it showed 400 kWh of yearly supercharging credits. I was under the impression that all cars with the exception of the S40 and S60 had free unlimited supercharging with the life of the car prior to 2017. I've contacted Tesla by phone once and chat twice and all of them stated I have pay per use supercharging.

I am not a heavy user of supercharging by any means, but paid a particular price for a vehicle thinking it was included and would like to include that feature when I resell it.

Has anyone been through this before? How should I pursue this further?

You are correct, you should have free supercharging for life. Pre 2018 on all Model S and Model X have free supercharging with the vehicle. All post 2018 have free supercharging with the owner and does not transfer when the car is sold

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You are correct, you should have free supercharging for life. Pre 2018 on all Model S and Model X have free supercharging with the vehicle. All post 2018 have free supercharging with the owner and does not transfer when the car is sold
I don’t think so. I wish it was that simple, but I am pretty sure the unlimited with vehicle was first cut off in Spring 2017. Various free incentives have returned since that time.

I’ll now await someone correcting me because it is hard to keep track of all of the changes.

I don’t think so. I wish it was that simple, but I am pretty sure the unlimited with vehicle was first cut off in Spring 2017. Various free incentives have returned since that time.

I’ll now await someone correcting me because it is hard to keep track of all of the changes.

I think you are correct that it was January/February 2017. Regardless, my model is a 2014 and I was expecting to have it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You said “dealership”. That direct from Tesla?

Anything on your paperwork or the car when it was listed online?

No it was an actual dealership that had one. Unfortunately, there’s no window sticker, promise of Supercharging, etc. The car was previously sold through Tesla in 2015 as EV CPO had a history of options, which shows SC01 Free Supercharging.

No it was an actual dealership that had one. Unfortunately, there’s no window sticker, promise of Supercharging, etc. The car was previously sold through Tesla in 2015 as EV CPO had a history of options, which shows SC01 Free Supercharging.

I would think it should have it. I asked because I think Tesla could technically take that away if they were the reseller, as long as it was clear. It would get darn confusing, but I feel like they could do it.

If this is 3rd party, they can’t alter the terms.

Wish there was a config screen on the car. Of course hackers...

Took delivery, at or near the last day of Sept. 2014, purchased new from Tesla.

Have you tried paying for Supercharging? I wonder if you go through that process if you might get some type of notification that the car has free lifetime Supercharging?

I haven’t used the “400 kWh” of Free Supercharging credit yet to test. We drove the car from Florida to Michigan before the car was fully transferred into our name and we charged no problem (free) the whole trip.

I agree that a 2014 P85 should have lifetime free Supercharging. The only case where you didn't get free Supercharging for life was if you bought a car with a 60 kWh battery (although you could pay $2000 for it with that battery size).

Something's not right here and it's as if Tesla is trying to sneakingly take away this lifetime access.

I am 99.9999% certain that any '14 85kwh has free SC for the life of the car,
I'll up that to 100% certain, but you can't make me go any higher than that.
In January 2017, Jon McNeil, who was I think head of North American sales published a statement to clarify that confusion and made it iron-clad clear:
"Firm answer: All Teslas purchased with Supercharging for life carry that benefit for the life of the car."
Here are a couple of articles that cover it.
https://electrek.co/2017/01/09/tesl...unlimited-free-supercharging-tesla-president/
Despite Report To Contrary, Tesla Sales President Confirms "All Teslas Purchased With Supercharging For Life Carry That Benefit"

So this is not a question. That 2014 P85 absolutely does have the free unlimited Supercharger attached to the car itself, regardless of any ownership changes.

I'll up that to 100% certain, but you can't make me go any higher than that.
In January 2017, Jon McNeil, who was I think head of North American sales published a statement to clarify that confusion and made it iron-clad clear:
"Firm answer: All Teslas purchased with Supercharging for life carry that benefit for the life of the car."
Here are a couple of articles that cover it.
Tesla's Certified Pre-Owned vehicles still have unlimited free Supercharging, says Tesla President - Electrek
Despite Report To Contrary, Tesla Sales President Confirms "All Teslas Purchased With Supercharging For Life Carry That Benefit"

So this is not a question. That 2014 P85 absolutely does have the free unlimited Supercharger attached to the car itself, regardless of any ownership changes.

The question is how can I prove it same with the car in the first place. The last call I made, I was told Free supercharging was not part of the sale in 2015

The question is how can I prove it same with the car in the first place. The last call I made, I was told Free supercharging was not part of the sale in 2015

Make another call? Sometimes Tesla representatives give out incorrect information.

As the owner of a 2015 S85D, I'm going to join the general consensus that any 2014 SP85 came with lifetime Supercharging included, and that entitlement transfers along with the vehicle.

One other suggestion is to try Supercharging once the change of ownership goes through. In the lower-right corner of the charging screen should be a display entitled "Recent Supercharges" or something like that. Those of us who have free, lifetime Supercharging never have anything show up in that area of the screen, whereas it displays the most recent Supercharging session on pay-per-use cars.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Make another call? Sometimes Tesla representatives give out incorrect information.

As the owner of a 2015 S85D, I'm going to join the general consensus that any 2014 SP85 came with lifetime Supercharging included, and that entitlement transfers along with the vehicle.

One other suggestion is to try Supercharging once the change of ownership goes through. In the lower-right corner of the charging screen should be a display entitled "Recent Supercharges" or something like that. Those of us who have free, lifetime Supercharging never have anything show up in that area of the screen, whereas it displays the most recent Supercharging session on pay-per-use cars.

Bruce.

On the trip from Florida, while supercharging, it would show a cost, then when unplugging it would revert to $0.00. At this time, the car was not fully transferred into my name. Now that it is, I can see online showing pay per use. It acts similarly, but it’s deducting kWh from the 400 annual allotment.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah