Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put car in neutral while driving instead of wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loving my model 3. Been driving for 2 months but first time in rain. While driving on the freeway at 65 i automatically moved the gear stalk without thinking meaning to turn on wipers..(I know it's on the screen). Car went into neutral and i thought OMG I need to step on brake to put into drive. Of course, I didn't do that.. Got an on screen message to immediately shift to drive. Fortunately it did without stepping on brake. Seems like a design flaw..i drive another car too and sometimes do things automatically. Is this a problem?

Is this a problem?

Ummm....

Driving along.... 65 mph..... Guess loads of other traffic doing the same speed....

Let's disengage my car's motor....

Could be a problem!

I am always doing this. I have two EV's, one with traditional floor shifter , with wipers and turn signal on stalks. The other is the Model S, and the shifter it where the wipers are on the other car. Or is it where the turn signal is? Either way, it is easy to mess up.

When I was living in California and driving an old Bravada with column mounted shifter it took a while to get used to for a stick shifting Englishman, but at least the shifter stick was completely different from other column mounted controls.

On the MS the shifter has no different feel to any other control. Any ways, it's no problem really, and just another reason to stick to driving the Tesla most of the time. Then I sit in my other car and every time before I drive I end up turning on the turn signal and wiping the windshield before I remember which car I'm in.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
And different cars have different controls, adapt or reevaluate if you should be driving.

But adapting is a process and processes take time... even if just seconds.

Of course it should be a momentary adjustment, but when driving stick cars, I would have to make sure I concentrated on how many gears there were and how they were layed out on the stick.

Anything that happens instinctively / habitually has to be un-learnt if you make a change of car.

Odd... that "gear selector" lever should function as the autopilot/cruise controls while you're moving. Did you have your foot slightly depressing the brake while you did it? If so, I could see where the controls would revert to "gear selector" mode.

Ummm....

Driving along.... 65 mph..... Guess loads of other traffic doing the same speed....

Let's disengage my car's motor....

Could be a problem!
Turning off the magnetic field to an electric motor should not be a problem at any speed. No clutch. No gears. Nothing to shift. To mechanical connection whatsoever.

There may be a sudden lack of power, but no more than a regen-less coast.

Unless you were referring to something else.

Turning off the magnetic field to an electric motor should not be a problem at any speed. No clutch. No gears. Nothing to shift. To mechanical connection whatsoever.

There may be a sudden lack of power, but no more than a regen-less coast.

Unless you were referring to something else.

Just referring to both the issues you mention. Evidently failed attempt at mild humour. I have pulled out of my drive in the morning several times and inadvertently used the wrong stalk to trigger a wipe of the windshield only to find myself unable to pull away.

No more than a reminder of my stupidity, but not helped by each of the several cars I drive regularly all having their controls in different places!

I don’t get it. There are some wiper controls on the left stalk, and all of them on the screen.
If you moved the right stalk just like any other car such as an automatic RICE with the gear selector on the “tree” you could just as easily put them in neutral while driving. This is a user error problem not the cars fault.

I don’t get it. There are some wiper controls on the left stalk, and all of them on the screen.
If you moved the right stalk just like any other car such as an automatic RICE with the gear selector on the “tree” you could just as easily put them in neutral while driving. This is a user error problem not the cars fault.

It's always the user's fault imo. And I am such a user. The issue for me is I have never had shifting on the column. In fact hardly driven automatics.

I could swear going from neutral to drive at the end of a carwash requires stepping on brake... maybe its because the car isn't moving? Have not tried it at speed from neutral to drive.... I do know that drive to reverse to drive is possible with no brake.

I could swear going from neutral to drive at the end of a carwash requires stepping on brake... maybe its because the car isn't moving? Have not tried it at speed from neutral to drive.... I do know that drive to reverse to drive is possible with no brake.
At low speeds (under 5mph?) you can certainly go directly between fwd and rev with no brake (or break).