Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a MY LR on Friday 16th from Manchester. The collection experience was as I expected, 2nd in the queue, 2-3 minutes and it’s my turn. Sign here, here’s your keys and it’s parked outside. Even after the videos, I got in and thought where do I start? A quick chat with one of the Tesla guys and they were really helpful, stayed with me until all questions were answered and I was confident. They told me that as it’s black and they don’t have proper washing facilities, they haven’t cleaned it for fear of damage… they hadn’t and it was covered in dust, rubbish and hand prints. The interior also had overspray of something and dusty prints everywhere. To be honest I’m fine with not cleaning, correcting the issues created would have been much more difficult had they put swirls in the paint.

When I got home I washed it carefully. Generally the painting is fine, as is panel fit/gaps and exterior trim, so a good overall impression. However, in sunlight there’s holograms everywhere, bonnet, doors… everywhere, some (what looks like fallout oily spots in paint) and what looks like tar/tree sap spots.

This, in my view isn’t uk done, it’s post production cleanup with poor buffing and the wrong grade of cutting polish, followed by transport debris; I have some experience in detailing. Overall the car is great, fantastic driving experience and meeting and exceeding all expectations, but they still need to work on the final presentation. I won’t be sending it back,the holograms and oily fallout marks I’ll deal with myself, their a minor annoyance. I shouldn’t have to, I just don’t trust them to get it right. Overall, I’m actually a fan of the light touch delivery approach, all questions were answered and staff were very helpful, the cars just need to be prepared better for the price.

Attachments

• A93B0BB6-9D8E-4D96-98E7-A0ED38A997C2.jpeg
    A93B0BB6-9D8E-4D96-98E7-A0ED38A997C2.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 80
  • D1FED364-92AE-4DAE-88D6-AC0B79EB04CF.jpeg
    D1FED364-92AE-4DAE-88D6-AC0B79EB04CF.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 8596D223-C41F-4C31-AE99-39D06E5B184A.jpeg
    8596D223-C41F-4C31-AE99-39D06E5B184A.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 62
Too young for a test drive? I have to ask..... How much is your insurance?
£1k via Admiral (24yo, 5y NCB, homeowner, good postcode) - so not as bad as I was expecting honestly 😅 When I went to the nearby showroom I did ask them why - apparently previously they had some 20/21yo test drive and write-off a car. Since then it's been a stipulation of their insurance that only 25yo+ are able to complete test drives.

For comparison, my 11yo Lexus CT renewed in August for ~£700 so I'm not 100% sure how a car worth 10x more and is substantially more powerful doesn't cost tonnes more! Either way, not complaining 😄

Reactions: Daedalus
£1k via Admiral (24yo, 5y NCB, homeowner, good postcode) - so not as bad as I was expecting honestly 😅 When I went to the nearby showroom I did ask them why - apparently previously they had some 20/21yo test drive and write-off a car. Since then it's been a stipulation of their insurance that only 25yo+ are able to complete test drives.

For comparison, my 11yo Lexus CT renewed in August for ~£700 so I'm not 100% sure how a car worth 10x more and is substantially more powerful doesn't cost tonnes more! Either way, not complaining 😄
TBH I think that's a bargain. I was expecting 2-3 times that.
Sometimes its as much about what you will destroy and who you will kill as a young person in a powerful car as it as about the cost of repairing the actual car, though I agree you would expect a bigger differential.
#teamMSM/black/19"

Reactions: rb98
Ref : Tesla Loan expired

ive got a collection due 28th Sept. from Slough Delivery Hub (no telephone number). Unfortunately i'm in the same boat as "ForkyorOlafEV" from earlier this month...

ive been ringing Tesla pretty much daily since mid-Aug when VIN appeared as Tesla Loan has expired, but they still havent reprocessed it (honouring the existing rate). Each time i call, they say "they will escalate it, should be sorted within a few day, backlog at Blackhorse etc etc etc "yet nothing happens

have also sent several email to ; [email protected] , but no reply

getting worried car will be reallocated, as in theory, supposed to have paid in full by 7days prior. I have sent a partial payment (10k), but i dont get the payment screen where you can see the outstanding balance as my screen only shows the finance is still awaiting a decision. Feels wrong to pay 40k+ for a car when they could bizarrely change there mind on the Tesla Loan and leave me stranded...

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Astrape

ive got a collection due 28th Sept. from Slough Delivery Hub (no telephone number). Unfortunately i'm in the same boat as "ForkyorOlafEV" from earlier this month...

ive been ringing Tesla pretty much daily since mid-Aug when VIN appeared as Tesla Loan has expired, but they still havent reprocessed it (honouring the existing rate). Each time i call, they say "they will escalate it, should be sorted within a few day, backlog at Blackhorse etc etc etc "yet nothing happens

getting worried car will be reallocated, as in theory, supposed to have paid in full by 7days prior. I have sent a partial payment (10k), but i dont get the payment screen where you can see the outstanding balance as my screen only shows the finance is still awaiting a decision. Feels wrong to pay 40k+ for a car when they could bizarrely change there mind on the Tesla Loan and leave me stranded...

Any suggestions?
Personally I wouldn't be too worried - I was in the same boat. My Blackhorse HP agreement expired on Aug 25th after I'd already paid my share and I chased the same, and was told exactly the same. If you'd already been approved and it's just expired, you will most likely see it reapproved with the same rate (as I did). They got a bit fed up of me chasing every couple of days in the end...

In the end the new agreement only came through the Friday prior to collection (so 4 days before collection), and as I didn't like the terms of it I called up the next day and asked for it to be 100% cash. The advisor did say to make the payment ASAP as it was then 3 days before collection, but ultimately the payment showed in my account by Monday, and on collection there was no problem.

Any suggestions?
I sent my proof of payment here [email protected] they replied within 2 days asking me to esign the loan agreement. They honoured the original offer from April

Picked my Tesla on Saturday 10th from Staines.

:) :) :) :)

- Collection experience
- Instant torque
- Space
- Sound system
- Tech
- Slight improvement in suspension :) ( I might be wrong :) but certainly different from the test drive)
- And a lot more :)

:(:mad: :confused:

- Wireless charging ( 13 mini)
- Auto wiper
- Auto beam on autopilot
- Phantom breaking (once)
- Navigation. Poor reading of speed limits

Attachments

• 260953C1-352C-4296-9EDA-3C6310EE18F7.jpeg
    260953C1-352C-4296-9EDA-3C6310EE18F7.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 57CD6972-B8AD-417E-9330-0F51D1944F64.jpeg
    57CD6972-B8AD-417E-9330-0F51D1944F64.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 49
A couple of weeks in to the Model Y now (previously an iPace driver) and thoughts are as follows:

:)

Range
Charging infrastructure
Storage space (boot is massive!)
Passenger space
Equipment levels (pano roof, rear heated seats etc are normally expensive add-ons)
Drivability - after the iPace which is well reviewed as one of the best EVs to drive, its impressed
Navigation / Spotify systems and UI - up there with Polestar (still the best on the market IMO)
Phone as a key - love it.

:(

Interior quality is good, but not the standard of Jaguar / BMW / Audi etc.
General UI interface is a bit clunky and not as customisable as other brands (odometer seems to be hidden away)
Central screen with pretty small speed display and no limiter! A small HUD would be the perfect solution to retain the minimalist look
Too many of them! Snobbery, but I quite like having a car that isn't that common. Downside of a great car I suppose...

Read a few things online about people stating that the MY22 version of the car has some upgrades/changes. Not sure exactly what they are or if you can spot all of them?

Some bits I have read...

Double glazed rear windows (or at least laminated with a second piece of glass)
Rear door sills now with carpet
Parcel shelf
Changed interior door trims in the front (the wood/white sweeps round from the dash to the door)
Matrix Headlights
Additional air bags

I can tell that my car has the top 4 of these - but no idea if you can tell if you have the bottom 2?

Personally I wouldn't be too worried - I was in the same boat. My Blackhorse HP agreement expired on Aug 25th after I'd already paid my share and I chased the same, and was told exactly the same. If you'd already been approved and it's just expired, you will most likely see it reapproved with the same rate (as I did). They got a bit fed up of me chasing every couple of days in the end...

In the end the new agreement only came through the Friday prior to collection (so 4 days before collection), and as I didn't like the terms of it I called up the next day and asked for it to be 100% cash. The advisor did say to make the payment ASAP as it was then 3 days before collection, but ultimately the payment showed in my account by Monday, and on collection there was no problem.
Hi rb98,

thanks for your reply and reassurance.

if you dont mind me asking, what was it specifically you didnt like about the terms? was something hidden in there that wasnt favourable or not disclosed previously?

thanks

A couple of weeks in to the Model Y now (previously an iPace driver) and thoughts are as follows:

:)

Range
Charging infrastructure
Storage space (boot is massive!)
Passenger space
Equipment levels (pano roof, rear heated seats etc are normally expensive add-ons)
Drivability - after the iPace which is well reviewed as one of the best EVs to drive, its impressed
Navigation / Spotify systems and UI - up there with Polestar (still the best on the market IMO)
Phone as a key - love it.

:(

Interior quality is good, but not the standard of Jaguar / BMW / Audi etc.
General UI interface is a bit clunky and not as customisable as other brands (odometer seems to be hidden away)
Central screen with pretty small speed display and no limiter! A small HUD would be the perfect solution to retain the minimalist look
Too many of them! Snobbery, but I quite like having a car that isn't that common. Downside of a great car I suppose...

Read a few things online about people stating that the MY22 version of the car has some upgrades/changes. Not sure exactly what they are or if you can spot all of them?

Some bits I have read...

Parcel shelf
Changed interior door trims in the front (the wood/white sweeps round from the dash to the door)
Matrix Headlights
Additional air bags

I can tell that my car has the top 4 of these - but no idea if you can tell if you have the bottom 2?
You are the first one to have confirmed that the rear door sills have carpet. Any pics? Just to confirm that this now stops the rattle noise from the rear seat belts?

Reactions: Scapegoat

Some bits I have read...

Parcel shelf
Matrix Headlights
Additional air bags

There are no pre-MY22 Y's in the UK afaik so unfortunately 'MY22' doesn't work as a designation for marking out when these changes occurred. That said, most of the points in your list were standard for the first cars in the country anyway (minus the couple of European demo cars that were floating about).

With the above being true, all Y's in the UK have:
  • Double glazed/'laminated' glass
  • Carpeted rear door sills
  • Newest interior door trims
  • Matrix headlights (although the name is somewhat of a misnomer at this point as the matrix functionality isn't supported in the current sofware release so isn't active yet)
  • Additional air bags
  • Heated wiper parking
Some Y's towards the end of Q1/Q2 22' got:
  • Parcel shelf
Some Y's for Q4 are allegedly getting:
  • Different suspension components / setup (although there is conflicting info on this and no official word, US owners have been offered different springs for the rear)

Last edited:
You are the first one to have confirmed that the rear door sills have carpet. Any pics? Just to confirm that this now stops the rattle noise from the rear seat belts?
All UK customer delivery cars have the door sill carpet. It doesn't go up the C pillar though, so won't help with seat belt rattle. In my experience though this hasn't been an issue. Just tuck the buckle in between the seat bolster and the pillar and it won't move.

I picked up my Model Y two weeks ago, having traded-in my 2019 M3P. No issues with the paintwork, panel gaps etc.

However, the car is riddled with loud creaks and rattles coming from several different areas – somewhere in the centre console / behind the screen, around the passenger seat and all across the rear back seats (not a seatbelt / seat buckle issue). Very disappointed and I am somewhat regretting trading-in my M3P (which was 100% rattle-free for the three years I had it!). Service centre booked for next week, though I’m not expecting miracles.
I feel your pain - Camera housing behind rear view mirror has has had felt tape applied to stop squeaking - rear passenger door card removed and faulty clips replaced. Constant squeak/ rattle from the boot couldn't be identified by mobile service so has to go into the service centre..

Love the experience of driving the car but it has been one very expensive maraca!

There are no pre-MY22 Y's in the UK afaik so unfortunately 'MY22' doesn't work as a designation for marking out when these changes occurred. That said, most of the points in your list were standard for the first cars in the country anyway (minus the couple of European demo cars that were floating about).

With the above being true, all Y's in the UK have:
  • Double glazed/'laminated' glass
  • Carpeted rear door sills
  • Newest interior door trims
  • Matrix headlights (although the name is somewhat of a misnomer at this point as the matrix functionality isn't supported in the current sofware release so isn't active yet)
  • Additional air bags
  • Heated wiper parking
Some Y's towards the end of Q1/Q2 22' got:
  • Parcel shelf
Thanks...

Didn't realise that - I may have been reading some US content and misunderstood.

The rear carpet is on the bottom sill, and its the rear windows that have the laminated glass - these were two things that I'd read were new changes, but this may have been for US market by the sounds of it. I have not heard much rattles etc from seat belts (and I can be a bit obsessive about car rattles)

Parcel shelf is neat - not attached to the hatch as per almost every car I have ever seen, but instead has a fold over feature that allows you to reach things at the back. For all the great storage etc. the boot does seem to lack any bag hooks (useful when carrying a takeaway / glass recycling etc) - thought Id found one then realised it was the emergency charging cable release.

Reactions: EV-Head and Casss
Now that the dust has settled and have done my first wash, I have noticed that there is a lot of glue residue on the black trim (cf pictures).
A botched job at removing the protective tape during transport certainly.

Any ideas on how best to remove this without risking a permanent discoloration?

1663666066960.png

1663666081534.png

The rear carpet is on the bottom sill, and its the rear windows that have the laminated glass - these were two things that I'd read were new changes, but this may have been for US market by the sounds of it. I have not heard much rattles etc from seat belts (and I can be a bit obsessive about car rattles)
Yep that was for the US. I'm the same with rattles and noise in the car - have found the Y to be very good so far. The rear headrests can cause a bit of noise if left up without someone sitting in the seat.

Now that the dust has settled and have done my first wash, I have noticed that there is a lot of glue residue on the black trim (cf pictures).
A botched job at removing the protective tape during transport certainly.

Any ideas on how best to remove this without risking a permanent discoloration?
Hair dryer / heat gun and your thumb, or failing that, quick clay bar will do the job. The black trim is anodised aluminium so as long as you don't use anything metallic or scratchy it will take some abuse from cleaning.

What are peoples experience with range and removing the trims?

And also - in the basic version, what level of driver aids should work? At the moment I can only seem to get active cruise control - no lane assist etc? If this correct or it is user error?

Would love to ‘try‘ some of the more advanced driver aid stuff - its a shame you can’t add it on a subscription basis. Self-driving for the month that you have a long holiday drive for example would be great, but the full £3500+ is too much I think for what I would use it for

Hi rb98,

thanks for your reply and reassurance.

if you dont mind me asking, what was it specifically you didnt like about the terms? was something hidden in there that wasnt favourable or not disclosed previously?

thanks
I don't think anything was necessarily hidden, just lack of knowledge that as a business customer there are different terms to personal customers - Model Y UK Delivery goes into a lil' bit more detail. I inferred the agreement as that if I was to want to fully repay & settle the agreement early, that it is not possible. Also that there's no cooling off period etc - not massively important as I want the car but ultimately I'd rather buy it on my own terms and not be stuck in an agreement for years on end if I could just buy it outright. So I went down that route instead! Obviously your mileage may vary, and it depends on what you're comfortable with!