Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 collections, tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collecting my model 3 next week, starting to consider canceling because of missing uss.
Dont really need them that often but had to park parallel yesterday in the tight spot and without parking sensor that wouldn't be possible.
If there would be option to at least retrofit them would be something
I wouldn’t cancel just because Of the missing USS. You’d miss out on a really great car.

We have driven cars without USS for years. And there is a replacement coming in via software update.

We have driven cars without USS for years. And there is a replacement coming in via software update.
With the latest rumours about new radar coming next year I wonder how high on Elon priority list will be software update for cars without USS.
Don't really want to cancel, plan atm is to collect it and try it for 2 weeks.
If lack of USS turn up to be a deal breaker will hand Tesla back and go for Ioniq 5.

Last edited:
Really? people have parked cars without sensors for year - and in a really tight spot all they do is bloody beep constantly...
Not sure you did notice but over the years parking spaces didn't change but cars are almost twice a size.
If the constant beep annoy you just switch audio options and leave visual on the screen.
50k for me is a lot of money, don't want t worry ever time when parking in tight spot or late in the evening and can't see nothing in the camera

I’ve been a big Tesla enthusiast/follower since late 2015, and after having finally placed an order for my ideal config Model 3 (Performance in Pearl White, with White interior) on 7th July…today was the day - collection day.

I travelled up to the Newcastle collection centre with my father-in-law and arrived bang on time (11.30am). I was quite pleasantly surprised with the set up there - a nice mini showroom type place, with a red MY and white M3 to look at/around. We got a coffee as there were 2 people in front of us. I looked out into the car park and spotted a car that matched my order but couldn’t see the reg. It looked very nice.

After a few mins, I was called and went through the collection process - which consisted of me handed over my driving license, confirming the reg and signing a tablet. 2mins later and I was given my keys and told my car was out there somewhere (I’d made some small talk and told them I’d driven one before and generally knew the score etc).

Sure enough, the car I’d spotted earlier WAS my car. I had braced myself for a poorly presented car based on some other recent experiences on here (especially given the weather) but was pleasantly surprised how clean it was. It wasn’t gleaming, but better than I’d expected.

I checked the car over for a good while but couldn’t spot any issues. Wheels were good, panel gaps were fine, light fittings were flush, no scratches. Happy days. All chargers and stuff was there. 8miles on the clock, 48% soc.

There was a couple collecting a Model Y next to me and they were a bit underwhelmed. They had some condensation in the rear lights (as I did) that they were going to get checked. They weren’t happy that their brand new car wasn’t sparkling. It wasn’t pitted but not clean either - mainly on the roof though it was a black MY so the dirt probably shows up a bit more. Just goes to show how the first impressions can differ and for those completely new to Tesla ownership. I did offer some advice and try to reassure them.

Have to say, my car looks damn good. Better than I was expecting, and much better and aggressive looking in the flesh.

So far I’m really impressed. Headed for a quick supercharge - had a quick chat with some other guys charging and headed home.

Still a lot to set-up and get used to (can’t connect to my Wi-Fi yet for some reason) - first home charge tonight for example, but I’m very happy with it and glad I had a good collection day.

A few pics (admittedly not the best):

Attachments

• 43155021-4F8D-4C49-BC51-7A0AC16DEA18.jpeg
    43155021-4F8D-4C49-BC51-7A0AC16DEA18.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 3124BDB4-945B-42E3-AE00-CD0B91EA5D8D.jpeg
    3124BDB4-945B-42E3-AE00-CD0B91EA5D8D.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 74
  • AC347403-FFE0-4019-ABD0-6473DDBD7861.jpeg
    AC347403-FFE0-4019-ABD0-6473DDBD7861.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 62
  • EBB8E235-063B-4E89-B49A-94088E73F1DB.jpeg
    EBB8E235-063B-4E89-B49A-94088E73F1DB.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 5ADE44A8-89B8-4D2E-A864-65BF301BEB52.jpeg
    5ADE44A8-89B8-4D2E-A864-65BF301BEB52.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 62
  • F76AD054-A18D-4466-9864-871E1DFD912C.jpeg
    F76AD054-A18D-4466-9864-871E1DFD912C.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 72BC62D9-D884-4416-A6CB-B856D5A5186E.jpeg
    72BC62D9-D884-4416-A6CB-B856D5A5186E.jpeg
    719.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Strange question but I collected my car about 10 days ago and noticed a weird thing with the wing mirrors. When I’m reversing into a parking spot the left mirror shows parking space white line as straight but the drivers side makes it look like I’m going at an angle. Has anyone else noticed this??

Not sure you did notice but over the years parking spaces didn't change but cars are almost twice a size.
If the constant beep annoy you just switch audio options and leave visual on the screen.
50k for me is a lot of money, don't want t worry ever time when parking in tight spot or late in the evening and can't see nothing in the camera
Learn to park? just saying 🤷‍♂️

Strange question but I collected my car about 10 days ago and noticed a weird thing with the wing mirrors. When I’m reversing into a parking spot the left mirror shows parking space white line as straight but the drivers side makes it look like I’m going at an angle. Has anyone else noticed this??
I’ve noticed similar in my M3, to the point I end up slightly squint when parked. Now I am aware of it I compensate for the skewed view.

Reactions: Morpheus84
Driver side mirrors are often slightly convex on the outside to eliminate the blind spot.
Haven’t checked if the Tesla has this feature but have had that on several cars in the past

A couple of days into ownership, so thought I’d share some further thoughts (in no particular order)

• Driving visibility is excellent
  • Auto High Beam seems very good on the few occasions it’s been used. I don’t have the same confidence with the auto wipers:)
  • TACC is very good (previous car (C-Class) didn’t have this)
  • Heated steering wheel is great (again, didn’t have such a luxury on previous car)
  • Slowly getting used to the driving experience and liking it a lot.
  • Fit and finish feels very good. Quality-wise doesn’t feel like a step down from the Merc at the moment.
  • Very first time I touched the seats I thought they felt pretty cheap but have got used to them and find them extremely comfortable - an opinion my best friend shared as he proclaimed the most comfortable car seats he’d ever sat in.
  • One pedal driving is awesome
  • I was worried the car would be forever beeping at me for different things but so far so good - although haven’t used Autopilot too much at the moment
  • Lack of USS is a bummer but so far I’ve personally found the rear reversing cameras to be more than sufficient.

I’ve got a few little niggles however:
  • Pressing the button to open the door does opens the door but won’t move when I push to open - needs a second press of the button to open. Am I doing something wrong or is the door not working properly?
  • Car visual in the app has the wrong alloy wheels - can I change this?

Reactions: dajw2793
A couple of days into ownership, so thought I’d share some further thoughts (in no particular order)

• Auto High Beam seems very good on the few occasions it’s been used. I don’t have the same confidence with the auto wipers:)
  • Heated steering wheel is great (again, didn’t have such a luxury on previous car)
  • Fit and finish feels very good. Quality-wise doesn’t feel like a step down from the Merc at the moment.
  • Very first time I touched the seats I thought they felt pretty cheap but have got used to them and find them extremely comfortable - an opinion my best friend shared as he proclaimed the most comfortable car seats he’d ever sat in.
  • I was worried the car would be forever beeping at me for different things but so far so good - although haven’t used Autopilot too much at the moment
  • Lack of USS is a bummer but so far I’ve personally found the rear reversing cameras to be more than sufficient.

• Pressing the button to open the door does opens the door but won’t move when I push to open - needs a second press of the button to open. Am I doing something wrong or is the door not working properly?
The door doesn’t open by itself so when you want to get out grab the handle, press the button and simultaneously push the door open. If there is a delay you will have to press twice.

Yes you can alter the look of the car visual. I think it’s in the Toybox but someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Very similar thoughts from me, 4 days after pick up 👍

Can only comment on the door opening bit. I've no issue, just press it once and the door opens. Sounds like a defect pal

Reactions: rowedav

Under service -> wheels and tyres you can change the wheels and it will update the appearance

Picked up my MYLR late on Friday from Brent Cross. Not much there. Car park with a spruced up container acting as the office. But on the plus side, it was heated and you could wait inside.

Staff was polite and efficient. I was given access to the car to go check it over and asked to return for the official handover once ready.
As it was getting dark, I did a somewhat quick check of the exterior. Mostly fine and if I hadn't been looking for it, wouldn't have noticed. But there was a little condensation in the tail lights and the back bumper panel was slightly sticking out on the sides. Checked the cars next to me to be certain and they didn't seem to have it.

When I went back to report the issues, the guy said the condensation is normal in this weather and it will go away on its own (but let's wait and see). He then came with me to the car to check the panel issue and agreed that it was slightly off. By this time it was approaching 5pm and fully dark. He showed me how to log in the issue in the app, but recommended I wait until the following day to inspect the car in detail during the day time. Did so the following day and logged in my issue and soon after was asked to book an appt at a service centre.

Have probably driven around 50 miles since getting the car, but all in London streets and the autopilot hasn't calibrated yet. Car has been ok so far, even driving in the snow last evening. Have yet to be fully acclimated with the dimensions of the car and how far back the other cars are when looking at the camera views. The back window is pointless, especially at night. Have tended to drive with the back camera on at all times.

One weird thing that I noticed yesterday morning was that one of the windows (maybe more than one?) was opened. Not sure if it was the auto venting function. My car was parked in the street and I panicked when I saw it and started poking my phone screen wildly until it closed. So didn't do the right investigation to see what was and wasn't working properly before the issue went away.

BTW, 544 vin and my car has USS. Very useful, I must say.

Reactions: Hellski
Hi there, just looking for some advice. We've had a London trip pencilled in for ages, so will be undertaking its first road trip tomorrow. I'm not going near the Congestion Charge zone, but will but in the ULEZ zone.

I know electric vehicles are exempt, but is there anything I need to do beforehand? Entered my reg on the TFL site and it's says they don't hold details for the vehicle but also recognises I do not need to pay to drive in the zone. I guess I am good to go?

Hi there, just looking for some advice. We've had a London trip pencilled in for ages, so will be undertaking its first road trip tomorrow. I'm not going near the Congestion Charge zone, but will but in the ULEZ zone.

I know electric vehicles are exempt, but is there anything I need to do beforehand? Entered my reg on the TFL site and it's says they don't hold details for the vehicle but also recognises I do not need to pay to drive in the zone. I guess I am good to go?
You don't need to do anything with the ULEZ zone.

Picked up my Model Y today from Glasgow. Pretty easy and smooth. Car is through a work salary sacrifice scheme and it appeared in the app literally seconds after the Tesla guy pressed a button on his iPad. Car was completely frozen over so couldn't check paint but everything else was spot on. Car came with 49% battery. Has a normal type 2 to type 2 cable, granny charger and a med kit.

I've already installed black aero covers, a data module for the centre unit and mats.

Tonnes of model Ys about and and saw another load arrive just as I was abou to leave.

Attachments

• IMG-20221212-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20221212-WA0006.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20221212_144907.jpg
    20221212_144907.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 64
Picked up my Model Y today from Glasgow. Pretty easy and smooth. Car is through a work salary sacrifice scheme and it appeared in the app literally seconds after the Tesla guy pressed a button on his iPad. Car was completely frozen over so couldn't check paint but everything else was spot on. Car came with 49% battery. Has a normal type 2 to type 2 cable, granny charger and a med kit.

I've already installed black aero covers, a data module for the centre unit and mats.

Tonnes of model Ys about and and saw another load arrive just as I was abou to leave.
Love that ice, the best pick up picture I’ve seen!