Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QC Issues -- Leaking roof/rear hinge seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by saying that I am hoping that my experience as a new MY owner (and newbie to Tesla) is rare; however, I do think it's important to highlight quality control issues on the car.
I picked up my MY on June 3, and since then have kept it in the garage when not in use; it also hasn't rained in weeks here in CT. But after taking the car through the car wash on Saturday, I noticed pools of water in the rear. I figured that maybe the car wash workers had accidentally left something open, so today we decided to see if we could "recreate" the conditions by running a garden hose of water over the area where the glass meets the rear hatch...I'd say we succeeded, unfortunately.

To their credit, the team at the Mount Kisco delivery/service center asked me to bring the car in ASAP for service, so this afternoon I dropped it off with them. Their initial thought is that the entire hatch needs to be adjusted--it was installed so loose that it didn't create a seal. They also said that they haven't had any other MY owners come back in with leak issues, FWIW. I'm hopeful that they are able to fix the issue, but I'm a little shaken: if my brand-new car isn't watertight, what else might have been installed incorrectly? I don't mind being an early adopter, but I'm less than enthusiastic about owning a new car that has such a major issue right off the bat.
So--buyer beware, and be sure to take your new MY through a car wash on your way home from delivery.

I should note that when I took delivery, I did point out that the gap between the glass roof and the rear hatch seemed pretty wide, but at that point the team said that it was "within spec," although they did adjust the rear doors which were misaligned. Pretty clearly a water leak shouldn't be "within spec," but here we are.
If I hear "within spec" from anyone, I am going to ask to see the spec.

Let me start by saying that I am hoping that my experience as a new MY owner (and newbie to Tesla) is rare; however, I do think it's important to highlight quality control issues on the car.
I picked up my MY on June 3, and since then have kept it in the garage when not in use; it also hasn't rained in weeks here in CT. But after taking the car through the car wash on Saturday, I noticed pools of water in the rear. I figured that maybe the car wash workers had accidentally left something open, so today we decided to see if we could "recreate" the conditions by running a garden hose of water over the area where the glass meets the rear hatch...I'd say we succeeded, unfortunately.

To their credit, the team at the Mount Kisco delivery/service center asked me to bring the car in ASAP for service, so this afternoon I dropped it off with them. Their initial thought is that the entire hatch needs to be adjusted--it was installed so loose that it didn't create a seal. They also said that they haven't had any other MY owners come back in with leak issues, FWIW. I'm hopeful that they are able to fix the issue, but I'm a little shaken: if my brand-new car isn't watertight, what else might have been installed incorrectly? I don't mind being an early adopter, but I'm less than enthusiastic about owning a new car that has such a major issue right off the bat.
So--buyer beware, and be sure to take your new MY through a car wash on your way home from delivery.
Oh man, sorry about this...it's such a shitty feeling. Hope it gets resolved and keep us posted.

• Love
Reactions: CT7Summits
Sorry to hear about your water leak issue. I haven’t seen any water leak yet, but I did notice that the center glass mounts between the front and rear doors on my Y are not all the way up to the top. You can fit a small finer in there and it’s certainly not up near the seal. Anyone else notice this on theirs?

Attachments

• 0C170BD4-6630-4AEF-8A8C-B9C84728A473.jpeg
    0C170BD4-6630-4AEF-8A8C-B9C84728A473.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 418
  • Helpful
Reactions: carter_seattle
@CT7Summits any chance you took a photo of the gap between the top and back glass?
You bet I did. The gap was wider on the driver's side. Here are a few photos taken from the driver's side (looking toward the passenger's side).
If you're seeing the light blue tape and wondering how on earth a gap that wide could be "in spec," I was too. I'm still shaking my head that the delivery team and the service center worker who made the door adjustments on delivery day thought this was acceptable.

Attachments

• gap3.jpg
    gap3.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 247
  • gap2.jpg
    gap2.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 224
  • teslagap1.jpg
    teslagap1.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 242