Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Qi Wireless Charging Poll: Jeda or Nomad?

Qi Wireless Charging: Jeda or Nomad?

• Jeda

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Nomad

Votes: 67 80.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the email from Nomad saying product is delayed until Dec 30. Likely will cancel and go a different route. Particularly annoying since my car was not delivered with the standard cables, so I'm using regular (no right angle) cables to keep my phones charged. Didn't want to spend the $ to buy the specific cables if I was just going to get a wireless charger.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'd really like to have what the Nomad is supposed to be. I used one for about a month before it failed (the other one failed immediately). So I know that it does everything well.... when it is working correctly. I can swallow the price because it looks fantastic, and the physical properties are top notch (both in looks and function). The wireless part... yawn. Everybody can put a puck behind a plastic mat. We're paying about $90 for that great mat.

Anyway... let me know which way you jump. Seems to be four main choices:
Jeda functional except phone slips
Nomad beautiful but with functional and production issues
RPM looks like it won't hold the phones
EVannex ugly as heck

One other issue with the Jeda is that when you set a phone on it the GPS goes bonkers.
This is with iPhone-X. I run an app that requires GPS (V1Driver talks to Valentine One Radar Detector) and I can't use it.
I tested the phone in house on two different wireless chargers and zero effect on GPS.
I also tried unplugging the Jeda and GPS also works perfect. The Jeda is spewing out interference the GPS can't deal with.

I ordered a Nomad a month ago and just got the Dec 30th email Grrr.

Wait. Do you mean this one? Tesla Wireless Phone Charger
Not quite what we're looking for. Or has Tesla secretly released a charging pad for the phone area of the Model 3?
My response was to a question about all season floor mats, not a charger.

One other issue with the Jeda is that when you set a phone on it the GPS goes bonkers.
This is with iPhone-X. I run an app that requires GPS (V1Driver talks to Valentine One Radar Detector) and I can't use it.
I tested the phone in house on two different wireless chargers and zero effect on GPS.
I also tried unplugging the Jeda and GPS also works perfect. The Jeda is spewing out interference the GPS can't deal with.

I ordered a Nomad a month ago and just got the Dec 30th email Grrr.
Not sure if it’s the app or phone, but my XS runs Waze on the Jeda without issue.

My response was to a question about all season floor mats, not a charger.

Not sure if it’s the app or phone, but my XS runs Waze on the Jeda without issue.

google Maps was also showing poor accuracy. The app I use just so happens to report the error in feet and does not have road info to help cover up for poor accuracy like navigation apps do. It goes from 33ft to over 200 ft. You can see a large circle around your position with google maps.

I also tried another iPhone.

It works fine as soon as I move the phone away from Jeda or leave the phone and unplug the Jeda. I’ve seen this before with other phones and cars. It also works fine on other wireless pads.

It’s the the Jeda. It’s a POS. I also can’t get it to stop squeaking. And I can’t lift the tray all the way up to see the cars USB ports. I can’t wait to get something better.

Phone falls off
Squeaks
Can’t lift tray up very far
Reduces GPS accuracy

It does charge the phone fine. That’s the only thing it does right.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
Nomad is nice and works well at charging. I've a v1 and it has some drawbacks (which may/may not be 'fixed' in v2):
  • it requires use of both USB ports. So now what if I have music on a USB stick? Got a cable splitter and that seemed to work fine. I understand a $5 coupon for a splitter is now included in the shipped package.
  • then add your dash-cam - a disaster with another cable splitter as I always got the grey "X." I'm not sure who should get blamed for that - Tesla for not providing more than two USB ports or Nomad for hogging both ports. The solution (that seems to be working fine two weeks into installation) is to get a high speed USB 3 Hub (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796RYY4J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), plug your 2nd Nomad charge cable , your USB 3 music stick and your USB 3 dash-cam stick into the hub. Everything works as you hope it would. There are still issues with the music USB but I suspect those are Tesla's and hopefully will be corrected in a future update.

My Nomad was to ship on November 30. I received no shipping confirmation nor an email announcing a delay. Anybody else have this situation?
I got the same message that's been posted here (this is for my replacement units that were to be shipped on Nov 30). We're told that it won't happen, and that it may not come until Dec 30 now. I'm planning to cancel now. It hasn't been a smooth ride, and my patience has been tested a bit too long (says the guy who waited 2.5 years for his car....)

I sent a message to Nomad yesterday asking for my order to be cancelled. This morning, got a nice email from Chloe Ferrari confirming the cancellation. About five minutes later, got an email from Paypal that my payment had been refunded.

They may not be able to deliver the hardware in a timely manner, but they really do seem to be together with communication. Very impressed.

Keith

Well, honestly, this isn't a mission-critical piece of hardware. I suppose I can wait and "suffer" through the awkward physical cable charging until my Nomad migrates over to me. :rolleyes:
Yeah, yeah. But I've also already been through two defective units, the hassle to return them, and the loss of shipping cost, and now two months of waiting for the replacement. I'm sorta done with them.