Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Qi Wireless Charging Poll: Jeda or Nomad?

Qi Wireless Charging: Jeda or Nomad?

• Jeda

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Nomad

Votes: 67 80.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell me more about your steering wheel :D

Got it done at CraftCustoms in Texas. You ship them a standard Model 3 steering wheel, specify what you want done (leather, colors, wood, carbon fiber - whatever your preferences) and they make it happen. I’ve used them for about 10 years and their work is super high quality. In fact my guess is that most of the vendors that sell custom wheels for the Model 3 use CraftCustoms. If you contact them directly you save the hassle and cost of the middle man.

• Love
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Got it done at CraftCustoms in Texas. You ship them a standard Model 3 steering wheel, specify what you want done (leather, colors, wood, carbon fiber - whatever your preferences) and they make it happen. I’ve used them for about 10 years and their work is super high quality. In fact my guess is that most of the vendors that sell custom wheels for the Model 3 use CraftCustoms. If you contact them directly you save the hassle and cost of the middle man.
Thanks for the info! How much did yours cost, if you don't mind?

I used the Wirelss Charging Mountable Pad with Adhesive Metal Pad. Put both together and stuck the assembly to the vent. The latter design enables the Adhesive Pad to stick top and bottom.
Super, thanks for this. One more annoying question that I haven't been able to verify: If I were to slip a magnetic "card" between my phone and case for use with the Xvida pad, would this allow it to wireless charge from other (non-Xvida pad) charging pads? I still can't figure out how this magnetic card does *not* block the wireless charging.

Tell me more about your steering wheel :D

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Super, thanks for this. One more annoying question that I haven't been able to verify: If I were to slip a magnetic "card" between my phone and case for use with the Xvida pad, would this allow it to wireless charge from other (non-Xvida pad) charging pads? I still can't figure out how this magnetic card does *not* block the wireless charging.

I had the same question so I took one of the cards apart to see. The magnets are in each of the extreme corners of the card so the signal passes through the middle with no interference.

And yes to your other question. It can wirelessly charge from other Qi devices whether they have magnetism or not.

Very cool! Do you mind sharing how much you paid for yours?

I had the same question so I took one of the cards apart to see. The magnets are in each of the extreme corners of the card so the signal passes through the middle with no interference.

And yes to your other question. It can wirelessly charge from other Qi devices whether they have magnetism or not.
Yep. Here’s a direct link to an exploded view of the charging pad, where you can see how the magnets are positioned:

[URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2895905/"]Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?[/URL]

As a related aside, I contacted the company to ask why they couldn’t have made the pad a square —so you could mount it portrait or landscape without rotating the head — and the reason was that Apple changed the specifications for their qi charging, so the coil had to be larger, but if you made it into a square, it would extend beyond the narrow width of some smaller phones.

• Informative
Reactions: EVnut
Yep. Here’s a direct link to an exploded view of the charging pad, where you can see how the magnets are positioned:

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

As a related aside, I contacted the company to ask why they couldn’t have made the pad a square —so you could mount it portrait or landscape without rotating the head — and the reason was that Apple changed the specifications for their qi charging, so the coil had to be larger, but if you made it into a square, it would extend beyond the narrow width of some smaller phones.
And of course thank YOU fseir. I've just plowed through your thread from earlier in the summer.

I sure don't need yet another case for my phone, so I plan to use the card option with my current case. The card must affix with adhesive to the back of the phone... are there instructions provided for optimal placement for best charging pass-through? I guess adding the card behind the case creates more total thickness than buying the case with the card built-in... but the card is probably my best place to start...

Reactions: fseir
@artsci ,

I got another solution for the wood connoisseur in you:

20181214_081952.jpg