Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of new MY's - is it better now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only examined one MY up close, a white on white model. Looked OK to me. Some minor issues and the seat backs were not right, but otherwise I'd accept a Tesla like that one in a heartbeat. All I can go in regard my concerns on are the consistent QC reports I'm seeing in this forum (and YouTube videos).

Rich

The only "serious" issue with my friend's MY. It will be made right I'm sure. Just kind of silly for the factory not being able to get this annoying problem fixed quickly.
cX1xkrv.jpg

How are passengers entering the back seats suppose to get their seat belts? Take a look at this photo, the seat belt appears to be awkwardly placed several inches behind the back seat. Just seems half-baked.

I can’t figure out why a company worth so much, can’t get rid of these issue. It is inexcusable for such an expensive car. Everyone needs to start rejecting them if there is an issue and send home the point to Elon. This is crazy.
The issue is, they just pass it onto the next buyer that does not read these forums and stuff. They even told me my rejected white Y with mismatched doors went to someone else 3 hours later. They "couldn't notice it"...it was a sunny day.

Hi:
Took delivery yesterday in Fremont CA Sunday afternoon. Ordered the car 7/11/20, VIN 7/12/20, and delivery 7/19/20. VIN is 249xx.

Except for a missing rubber adjusting foot in the frunk, everything else was fine: Car was spotless inside and out;
gaps were consistent, paint was perfect, back seats aligned, tail lights and charge port set well. We went over the car looking for things multiple times. My wife is an architect so she doesn't miss much when it comes to detail.

Although we had some trepidation going in based on what's been posted here, we drove away happy!

I will add also that the staff was courteous and helpful. No problem having payment arranged to be by check. We were given all the time needed at the delivery site and there was no issue about seeing inside the car. They said the phone acceptance was a formality and we could leave the car or refuse it if we wanted.....

Attachments

• IMG_9672.jpg
    IMG_9672.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9673.jpg
    IMG_9673.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9674.jpg
    IMG_9674.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9675.jpg
    IMG_9675.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 124
Hi:
Took delivery yesterday in Fremont CA Sunday afternoon. Ordered the car 7/11/20, VIN 7/12/20, and delivery 7/19/20. VIN is 249xx.

Except for a missing rubber adjusting foot in the frunk, everything else was fine: Car was spotless inside and out;
gaps were consistent, paint was perfect, back seats aligned, tail lights and charge port set well. We went over the car looking for things multiple times. My wife is an architect so she doesn't miss much when it comes to detail.

Although we had some trepidation going in based on what's been posted here, we drove away happy!

I will add also that the staff was courteous and helpful. No problem having payment arranged to be by check. We were given all the time needed at the delivery site and there was no issue about seeing inside the car. They said the phone acceptance was a formality and we could leave the car or refuse it if we wanted.....

Looks good - glad for you! Enjoy - the car drives really great!

Hi:

You may want to check it over again, the passenger side front door is too high.

My car is just a few hundred after yours, but for some reason blue seems to have less issues. Crossing fingers, pick ours up Saturday.

Attachments

• 250805E9-5F90-4AD9-8848-C36A67E5E338.jpeg
    250805E9-5F90-4AD9-8848-C36A67E5E338.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Maryland
Hi:

beautiful! Congrats.

Hi:

Can I kindly ask you to post a picture from this angle? (right side of the hatch)
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_120247.jpg
    IMG_20200702_120247.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 141
Here it is....

Thank you! So what they did is interesting - they moved it a bit to the right, so the gap will be even on the left and right sides.
It is still not a perfect fit, but it seems like "working as designed". As some people said on this forum - Tesla used M3 parts and some
of them may create alignment issues with MY.

Anyway, this is as close to perfect as Tesla may get! Enjoy the car - it is really fun to drive!

Last edited:
The email leaked from Elon Musk said that he would walk the assembly floor once a week every wee . This must be the reason that cars are coming in better. It's just that cars made final on that one day are bette . The rest still need some TLC.;)

Picked up my Model Y today in Charlotte. VIN 19,6xx build 07/20. Had a checklist and confidence was not high that I would be driving away today. But it was fantastic! No paint problems whatsoever (Red). The only items I noted was the rear passenger door window trim was ever so slightly misaligned (or maybe better described as not sitting flush with the trim on the rear qtr panel--by about 2mm). And a piece of the right rear wheel well at the apex of the well was loose. Everything about the interior was perfect.

One thing I noticed while there... there was another Model Y with VIN 24xxx being delivered (white) and I did a quick walk around and noticed a lot more inconsistency in the panel gaps on that car. I may have had issue taking that one.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Took delivery 7/18 of non performance, white, white, gemini, tow hitch, FSD. Ordered 2/1/20. First one was promised 6/30 but was diverted (found out by calling morning of 6/30). VIN 20xxx built 7/3. Definitely some misalignment issues: doors, hatch, tail lights. Interior good. Sheet metal around lights not perfect. Drives well and little road or wind noise. Paint looks good. Another one being delivered looked to have similar issues. Going to SC tomorrow, but not optimistic. I think this is what you get with Tesla...at least for now with this new model.
Have to say that otherwise the vehicle is impressive...guess that's how Tesla gets away with poor fit and finish and poor customer treatment.

Thank you all for your suggestion. I think I will wait a bit. BTW, I looked at the SC parking with many MY's there, and an interesting fact is: most white trims have issues with alignment (especially hatch alignment ). Most blue MY's are perfectly aligned. Not sure it is it accidentally or not :)
Easier to notice panel gaps on white. A little Morse difficult on other colors.