Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of new MY's - is it better now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for your suggestion. I think I will wait a bit. BTW, I looked at the SC parking with many MY's there, and an interesting fact is: most white trims have issues with alignment (especially hatch alignment ). Most blue MY's are perfectly aligned. Not sure it is it accidentally or not :)

Reactions: ra88it
Tesla's gunslinger approach to quality may bite them in the butt at some point. There's a reason why auto manufacturers go through a thorough PPAP process to qualify new items and updated Pats, along with FMEAs and a wide assortment of quality procedures. It's because they want to make a safe, reliable, high quality product.

Reactions: Kelr316
Tesla's gunslinger approach to quality may bite them in the butt at some point. There's a reason why auto manufacturers go through a thorough PPAP process to qualify new items and updated Pats, along with FMEAs and a wide assortment of quality procedures. It's because they want to make a safe, reliable, high quality product.

I want to belive that safety is not compromised and most of the issues are cosmetic only. Said that - nobody really knows, there are no many leaks from Tesla insiders.

I want to belive that safety is not compromised and most of the issues are cosmetic only. Said that - nobody really knows, there are no many leaks from Tesla insiders.
That's true but luckily there haven't been many reported issues of serious injury or death due to Tesla's approach. I've seen some situations of the Model 3 glass roof exploding for no reason at all. This could be a major issue under certain circumstances.

Something like this could be detected with additional road testing, along with a proper 8D (root cause) analysis approach to making sure it never happens again. Does Tesla do it? No one knows.. They'll fix the roof and tell the owner to keep driving it. I'd like to believe they'd assign a team to find out what's causing it, such as a certain harmonic frequency on vehicles or batch of vehicles that had poor adhesive, or whatever. I can assure you the good auto manufacturers would have a full report out on the root cause analysis, implement a containment plan, a long term solution, etc.

I saw this - the question is - when batch 1 is done and there is a batch 2?

3 months? 6 months? a year?

That is why I originally created this thread. I got MY on July 1st (VIN 133x), had many cosmetic problems, but most visible hatch misalignment by ~8mm. very noticeable. It had some other issues (like missing plastic bolts/nuts, frunk plastics were not attached at all, etc). So I returned it. I liked the car but decided to wait a bit for a better quality build.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Just brought my Performance Y in for service today in Charlotte. It needs the typical work from the posts in this forum - needs front bumper repainted, panels gaps fixed, lots of trim replaced, etc.

There were 3 other Y’s were there for service too in the 15 minutes before I left. All had paint, gaps, and trim issues. The service advisor said this is pretty normal for the initial Y’s. I could almost sense his frustration level that service was packed with brand new cars due to poor initial build quality.

I wish I waited, but when I placed the order I assumed I’d get it closer to YE2020 not in June.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor
I can tell from a pic or two. Nothing like I saw early on.
Just brought my Performance Y in for service today in Charlotte. It needs the typical work from the posts in this forum - needs front bumper repainted, panels gaps fixed, lots of trim replaced, etc.

There were 3 other Y’s were there for service too in the 15 minutes before I left. All had paint, gaps, and trim issues. The service advisor said this is pretty normal for the initial Y’s. I could almost sense his frustration level that service was packed with brand new cars due to poor initial build quality.

I wish I waited, but when I placed the order I assumed I’d get it closer to YE2020 not in June.

When did you get your car? What VIN sequence?

I saw this - the question is - when batch 1 is done and there is a batch 2?

3 months? 6 months? a year? .
Production isn’t in batches. It’s continuous.

Teslas quality problems are defects of process, that is how they do things. Common problems can be skill based or procedure based or random mishaps.

Skill based production is terrible because it relies on an operator being good at what he does. Production quality gets better as the operators skill improves.

Process-based production takes the skill out and has a defined order of operation that any moron can do properly. Operators follow instructions and stop if they can’t.

Random mishaps are how cars get damaged. Scratches, dents, and other issues.

Tesla will slowly fix each one until they become a well-oiled machine as they say. Unless there’s a hard-Ass crackdown on quality, say... at the beginning of a quarter after deliveries are met.

Just back from visiting a friend who has a three week "old" MY. Paint was fine. Some minor issues. Rear seat height issue, a couple of other odds and ends. Beautiful vehicle. Wife informs me we are buying one...

Rich

The "bra" line is absolutely not noticeable when looking at the car.
qB2YWCw.jpg

Spouse and my buddy.
tNmMtEU.jpg

Wife making unsuccessful attempt at stealing the MY...
sWumTYY.jpg

Rear seat issue. Annoying but, in the scheme of things, not a biggie. Still, you'd think the gang over at Tesla would have worked this issue out by now.
cX1xkrv.jpg