Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of new MY's - is it better now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this - the question is - when batch 1 is done and there is a batch 2?

3 months? 6 months? a year?

That is why I originally created this thread. I got MY on July 1st (VIN 133x), had many cosmetic problems, but most visible hatch misalignment by ~8mm. very noticeable. It had some other issues (like missing plastic bolts/nuts, frunk plastics were not attached at all, etc). So I returned it. I liked the car but decided to wait a bit for a better quality build.

When Tesla leaks an internal memo to employees that Model Y quality needs to be improving (my paraphrase) you have to wonder how much damage control Elon or marketing department is trying to mend.

Sad that the rear seat alignment still exists... they have made how many MY's now?

Any other automaker would have stopped the assembly line day one to fix that problem before it made it to even one customer!

From what I observed on SC parking - every white MY has the same set of misalignments, every other color has it's own. Seems that Tesla has several production lines (one for each color?).

So MY white AWD has a consistent hatch misalignment (on the right side), rear lights gaps, door misalignment on the right, charging port issue, etc. I do not see any difference from MY I got 2 weeks ago (and returned due to issues) and new white MY's. Tesla is ignoring these issues for now and probably will continue to do that for some time.

P.S. Another observation - SC technicians are overloaded with complaints (at least here in Austin, TX) and really looked tired.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
From what I observed on SC parking - every white MY has the same set of misalignments, every other color has it's own. Seems that Tesla has several production lines (one for each color?).

So MY white AWD has a consistent hatch misalignment (on the right side), rear lights gaps, door misalignment on the right, charging port issue, etc. I do not see any difference from MY I got 2 weeks ago (and returned due to issues) and new white MY's. Tesla is ignoring these issues for now and probably will continue to do that for some time.

P.S. Another observation - SC technicians are overloaded with complaints (at least here in Austin, TX) and really looked tired.

Did you accept the second Y with the same issues as the first one you returned? Curious because my appointment for my second Y is today (white AWD).

Did you accept the second Y with the same issues as the first one you returned? Curious because my appointment for my second Y is today (white AWD).

They did not offer me to replace it. I returned the car after a couple of days and now will need to wait ~2 months for the refund. Once you accept the car you can not reject it, only to use 7 day's return window. At least that what I was told.

I hope you will have a car w/o any issues. Please, share the pictures and the VIN series when you get the car. Especially picture of the charging port, hatch on the right side of the roof.

GOOD LUCK!

My understanding was that the seat issue is fixed for the MY with black seats but not the early white seats (which are more noticeable). I believe it takes a new part. I would assume that the key is to look at the serial number - the one I turned down was in the 14xxx. I just got a notice for a new car that is 13xxx so I'm dubious and may just turn it down (sight unseen) since I see a bunch on the sheet at 22xxx - even white seat MY.

The Model 3 had some initial quality problems when first launched. Volume was less but they also didn't have the start stops that are occurring now in Fremont. Also, any redesign just takes time. Does anyone know how long it took for the Model 3 to dial itself in regarding quality problems?

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
My understanding was that the seat issue is fixed for the MY with black seats but not the early white seats (which are more noticeable). I believe it takes a new part. I would assume that the key is to look at the serial number - the one I turned down was in the 14xxx. I just got a notice for a new car that is 13xxx so I'm dubious and may just turn it down (sight unseen) since I see a bunch on the sheet at 22xxx - even white seat MY.

The Model 3 had some initial quality problems when first launched. Volume was less but they also didn't have the start stops that are occurring now in Fremont. Also, any redesign just takes time. Does anyone know how long it took for the Model 3 to dial itself in regarding quality problems?

How do you define "dial itself" They started making M3 in volume late fall of 2017. My April 2019 build of SR+ still had sub-par paint and got repainted. Hatch misaligned damaging paint on hatch and rear bumper repaint that too. Passenger front door misaligned. Front passenger lumbar air pump broken day 1. I regret to say I have no high expectations for my MY order. As long as it works the paint/trim and panel alignments can be re-worked.

How do you define "dial itself" They started making M3 in volume late fall of 2017. My April 2019 build of SR+ still had sub-par paint and got repainted. Hatch misaligned damaging paint on hatch and rear bumper repaint that too. Passenger front door misaligned. Front passenger lumbar air pump broken day 1. I regret to say I have no high expectations for my MY order. As long as it works the paint/trim and panel alignments can be re-worked.

Question - did they fix the misalignment issues (including hatch) for your M3? I guess the question is it really fixable or they cause more damage by doing that?

On a separate note - it is purely speculative, but what is happening with all these cars that were returned within 7 day's? I do not see Tesla published them as second-hand cars anywhere. May it be that they just reset the odometer and with some retrofit sell them as new?

I'm still skeptical that Tesla has corrected the issue of mismatched panels/doors on the white MYs.

One person had posted that he/she was perfectly happy with the white MY he/she took delivery of, but one poster asked to see a picture of it and never got a response.

all the most recent pictures of white MYs still show mismatched door to panel shades, even though the owner will say they're happy with it. Is it just the shading due to the angle and camera? I think not, because I don't see the slight variations in the door to fender colors on M3 pictures. I saw an acquaintances white MY he took delivery of 3 weeks ago, and the paint on the doors looked splotchy. The shading looked fine, but I could see what looked like inconsistent paint depth on the doors.

I'm still skeptical that Tesla has corrected the issue of mismatched panels/doors on the white MYs.

One person had posted that he/she was perfectly happy with the white MY he/she took delivery of, but one poster asked to see a picture of it and never got a response.

all the most recent pictures of white MYs still show mismatched door to panel shades, even though the owner will say they're happy with it. Is it just the shading due to the angle and camera? I think not, because I don't see the slight variations in the door to fender colors on M3 pictures. I saw an acquaintances white MY he took delivery of 3 weeks ago, and the paint on the doors looked splotchy. The shading looked fine, but I could see what looked like inconsistent paint depth on the doors.

You are correct with the inconsistent paint depth from one panel to the next. We measured two white Y's and there were six variances in paint depth across six panels. For both of them, we're essentially repainting half the vehicle.

Has anyone taken delivery of a blue MY recently? I pick mine up on the 27th. VIN 26XXX and I’m curious to see if build issues are still super common after EOQ push? I’m in Orlando so they said it’s built already and will take 10 days to arrive at the dealer.

Has anyone taken delivery of a blue MY recently? I pick mine up on the 27th. VIN 26XXX and I’m curious to see if build issues are still super common after EOQ push? I’m in Orlando so they said it’s built already and will take 10 days to arrive at the dealer.

I did not but saw a number of Blue MY's on the SC parking lot waiting for delivery. They looked ok from alignment of the hatch and doors perspective (much better than white ones). When you get yours, please update us on your findings.