Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quarter End Purchasing Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krash

Data Technician
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
Listings
I thought I would add my experience to the collective knowledge.

I put a deposit on an S 60D right before the announced discontinuation. During the window to change configurations Tesla announced the price change on the 75D and the included glass roof. But they also discontinued the Air Suspension and High Capacity Charging for the cheaper models. Consequently, I was able to negotiate, like many others, to get a price reduction by upgrading my car to a 75D. This meant that unlike cancelling my order and reordering, I got to keep these extra features that otherwise became unavailable for my car. I also requested a late July delivery, thinking that I might pickup some extra hardware improvements by getting a later manufacturing date.

I was surprised when my car arrived in late June. I assumed that Tesla wanted to get it delivered before their quarter end. This meant that had I not been interested in the 1.49% financing, which ended in June, I would have probably let them keep the car for a week or so and see about new hardware changes. But I did pick it up. And learned about the Drive Unit upgrades, which for months I thought I barely missed, on July 1st. As it turns out my car did get the new DU00 drive unit as my car was manufactured the week of 14 Jun 2017.

I am not sure whether I would have tried get my deposit back to reorder if I hadn't picked the car up before the July 1st announcement, when I thought I missed the new drive unit, so I am not disappointed. I love the car. But in ordering another I would definitely 1) wait until the last minute before ordering something discontinued; 2) pay close attention to configuration changes announced during the order change window; 3) discuss and negotiate over any changes with Tesla before finalizing; 4) push my delivery out as far as possible; and 5) wait a week into the new quarter before picking it up.

Another advantage of waiting to pickup the car is you can schedule paint treatment, tinting, wheel modifications and such right after picking up the car. Good shops are ten days out in my area so that would have been plenty of time to catch the new upgrade announcement.

Last edited:
Four years later the maintenance tally is, under warranty, one charge port replacement (and towing) and one MCU1 replacement. FSD computer upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0. Out of warranty, the daytime running lights have at least one LED dimmed each, but I am waiting to replace them, suspecting new headlights will be released for the S. I will need an MCU 2.0 update eventually.

No brakes, fluids, nor 12 volt battery needed. Best car I have ever owned.

We still don't know exactly what the DU00 revision for the drive unit is, although we know it is capable of more power, so likely it will be even more reliable than previous versions, which, by mid 2017 seemed to have most of the gremlins exercised already.

Last edited: