Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about my daily commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Tesla Model S this year but I find it very hard to get a good idea on how my daily commute would go let's say below -20C (~0F). I got to do a 150 km drive every day to get to work and I don't have the possibility to charge there so the car would stay outside unplugged at least for 8 hours.

Can you share your experience with such range please ?

Thanks !

When the temperature is -20C it's going to be dicey. I guess the question to ask is, "Is there a supercharger or fast DC charger between home and work?".

Note: I'm reading that the 150 km is one-way. If it's round trip then no problem. Get the 85 kWh battery.

When the temperature is -20C it's going to be dicey. I guess the question to ask is, "Is there a supercharger or fast DC charger between home and work?".

Note: I'm reading that the 150 km is one-way. If it's round trip then no problem. Get the 85 kWh battery.

The 150km trip also include the way back home :) I live close to Montreal and there is no Supercharger yet :(

The 150km trip also include the way back home :) I live close to Montreal and there is no Supercharger yet :(

Okay. I wasn't sure. You'll have no problem but you might want to range charge on the very worst days (very cold or fresh slushy snow). Always preheat before you drive in the morning.

Sun Country may have some fast AC chargers in your area. Check them out too. You won't normally need them, but it's nice to know that they're available for emergencies.

Last edited:
Sun Country may have some fast DC chargers in your area. Check them out too. You won't normally need them, but it's nice to know that they're available for emergencies.

I think you meant fast AC (up to 20kW) evChargers from Sun Country: https://www.suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip-planner/. So just be sure to carry your J1772 adapter to make use of public charging infrastructure and you should be fine.

I am looking to buy a Tesla Model S this year but I find it very hard to get a good idea on how my daily commute would go let's say below -20C (~0F). I got to do a 150 km drive every day to get to work and I don't have the possibility to charge there so the car would stay outside unplugged at least for 8 hours.

I have a roughly 85 mile (137 km) round trip commute where my car also sits outside all day not plugged in. I also usually run out at lunch time for a couple of miles.

I charge to 90% and return at the end of the day at about 30% SOC on the battery in even the coldest of temperatures (well below 0 F).

I think you should have no problem.

I have a roughly 85 mile (137 km) round trip commute where my car also sits outside all day not plugged in. I also usually run out at lunch time for a couple of miles.

I charge to 90% and return at the end of the day at about 30% SOC on the battery in even the coldest of temperatures (well below 0 F).

I think you should have no problem.

Thanks !

Hi,

Can you share your experience with such range please ?
That's the round-trip? Then you'll do fine if the roads are plowed. If the roads are unplowed, you'll probably still make it, but it'll be very close.

While it's probably not quite as cold here as it is there we charge 90% daily and routinely drive about 170 miles yesterday a few excitable people (friends) wanted to test out the car and were rather spirited drivers if you will and when I returned home I had 2 rated miles left. I said to my husband this must be what people with leafs feel like. Range anxiety! Lowest I've ever had the car upon return to my garage was 38. And I drive up a mountain through snow on some days. So you should be fine!

150 km round trip is nothing. I have a 210mi (337km) round trip daily. I do charge at both locations but I *could* do it on a single charge without charging at work. Just get the 85kW. You'll be fine. You won't even use up half the range but always good to have the extra.

150 km round trip is nothing. I have a 210mi (337km) round trip daily. I do charge at both locations but I *could* do it on a single charge without charging at work. Just get the 85kW. You'll be fine. You won't even use up half the range but always good to have the extra.

Do you have cold temperature where you live ? My concern is mainly when I have to use heating :)

militiad, as everyone else has previously written, you will have no problems even on the coldest of days with the 85kwH. You can uses as much heat as you want on your 150km commute and not suffer since your reserve will be significant. Keep the sleep mode on and you wont lose much range with the car unplugged. A very cold battery may show a much lower range than expected but that is usually erroneous and once the batter warms up, it will normalize and you will find that you wont chew up you your rated range as quickly.

I think you meant fast AC (up to 20kW) evChargers from Sun Country: https://www.suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip-planner/. So just be sure to carry your J1772 adapter to make use of public charging infrastructure and you should be fine.
And, given you have may have many nice 60-80A Sun Country J1772 chargers in your area, make sure you configure with the dual on-board chargers.

Militiad, 150 KM is 93.75 miles. As a member of organizing group for upcoming TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb. 15-17, 2014 in Washington DC) @TeslaRoadTrip 2014 - - Feb 15-17, 2014 - Page 8

In preparation for the upcoming Tesla Meet, bunch of us Tesla owners did a dry run of approx. 120 miles yesterday without charge. Absolutely no range anxiety, no issues whatsoever, and whole lot of fun. As everybody is recommending, with 85Kwh pack you need not worry with the range. Only additional recommendation I would make, is to charge even with 110 volt at your work (just take your adapter and UMC with you or invest in a spare UMC). This would give you some range back and keep the battery pack warm, that would alleviate any concerns you might have with the range. Enjoy driving the safest and funnest car ever.

Last edited:
militiad, as everyone else has previously written, you will have no problems even on the coldest of days with the 85kwH. You can uses as much heat as you want on your 150km commute and not suffer since your reserve will be significant. Keep the sleep mode on and you wont lose much range with the car unplugged. A very cold battery may show a much lower range than expected but that is usually erroneous and once the batter warms up, it will normalize and you will find that you wont chew up you your rated range as quickly.

Can you explain what is the sleep mode please ? Still a little unclear to me. Thanks for you comment :)

- - - Updated - - -

Militiad, 150 KM is 93.75 miles. As a member of organizing group for upcoming TeslaRoadTrip 2014 (Feb. 15-17, 2014 in Washington DC) @TeslaRoadTrip 2014 - - Feb 15-17, 2014 - Page 8

In preparation for the upcoming Tesla Meet, bunch of us Tesla owners did a dry run of approx. 120 miles yesterday without charge. Absolutely no range anxiety, no issues whatsoever, and whole lot of fun. As everybody is recommending, with 85Kwh pack you need not worry with the range. Only additional recommendation I would make, is to charge even with 110 volt at your work (just take your adapter and UMC with you or invest in a spare UMC). This would give you some range back and keep the battery pack warm, that would alleviate any concerns you might have with the range. Enjoy driving the safest and funnest car ever.

Sadly I can't do that another Tesla owner tried and there is no way the building is agreeing to give us access to even a 110 volt outlet :(

Can you explain what is the sleep mode please ? Still a little unclear to me.

Sleep mode is where the displays partially power down after a time when the car is off. When you enter the car while it's asleep the small display boots with the Tesla T showing. It takes about as much time to get ready as it does for you to close the door and fasten your seatbelt.

Before sleep mode I would lose about 10 km over a nine hour workday. With sleep mode it's +-1.5 km. (Yes, sometimes the range left will be higher than it was when I parked. That's a rounding error, it doesn't actually increase.)