Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about new Tesla HPWC (80A) Montgomery, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a new or used Tesla S soon..test driving one this weekend in Boca. But my daily commute only rarely takes me by a supercharger. But a brand new hotel right near my house showed up on PlugShare with 2 Tesla high power wall connectors (80A) and one GE J1772 (30A) "available to the public"!! OK, does my car need to be SC enabled to use the HPWC (important if I bought used)? This hotel sit right on my commute and where our family does frequent shopping....seeing this as a real panacea for me (maybe I don't even need to install a 220 at my house right away). Am I missing anything? Thanks for the advice.

We were all raised with the idea that we have to go somewhere to 'fill up.' That was the solution for an archaic problem. With an EV, its a whole new paradigm. Its filling station is just a plug. If you stop and think on that for a moment, why on Earth would you fill up (on a routine day) anywhere else except your home or maybe your place of work? You pull up to your garage or car port and spend 2 seconds plugging in. The next day, you spend 2 seconds unplugging, and go about your day never having to go anywhere just for the purpose of refueling!

{The exception being trips > 100 miles each way. Then you have to identify charging locations along your route. Thats very much in progress, with new charging stations opening every day. Some high speed, some low speed, some 1 type, some another type, some an incompatible type. That part is confusing but not impossible.}

We were all raised with the idea that we have to go somewhere to 'fill up.' That was the solution for an archaic problem. With an EV, its a whole new paradigm. Its filling station is just a plug. If you stop and think on that for a moment, why on Earth would you fill up (on a routine day) anywhere else except your home or maybe your place of work? You pull up to your garage or car port and spend 2 seconds plugging in. The next day, you spend 2 seconds unplugging, and go about your day never having to go anywhere just for the purpose of refueling!

That ideally sounds great in a perfect work, but i don't have the luxury of installing a charging station in my Condo so i rely on public stations if i were to get a Tesla. I am obviously willing to pay for that charge as to not be a "free loader". It just comes to the fact that the technology is so superb in a Tesla that i can't stay away even if it's inconvenient having to drive the car every few weeks at a public charging station

Yes you are missing something. Hotels aren't installing HPWCs to be used by people on their commutes, they're to attract guests to stay at the hotel. You should install a 240V outlet in your garage (NEMA 14-50). Don't try to freeload and give Tesla owners a bad name.
I am almost certain that his intent is not to freeload. He asked a simple question and deserves the same in response. We like to give all new owners the benefit of any doubt by providing positive responses rather than implying the negative.

Whatever you decide to do. Public stations are at best a distant second choice for daily use unless you have absolutely nothing better to do. Charging overnight even on a 110 regular garage outlet although slow is more convenient than a few hours on a faster charger. The electricity you use at home will cost less than wasting your time at a public charger during the day. Either way buy a TESLA, they are awesome.

I'm back.......I've got my Tesla S on order, and I do have a 14-50 in my garage. But there will be times that I might "freeload" a bit when I'm shopping with the family right next to this hotel. And one more question......I know the intent for the hotel is to attract Tesla drivers, but doesn't Telsa provide these chargers free of charge with the intent of them being free to the public? I see a number of them listed as destination chargers all over (especially at Hilton garen Inns) where they list on tesla website as "for patrons only".

I'm back.......I've got my Tesla S on order, and I do have a 14-50 in my garage. But there will be times that I might "freeload" a bit when I'm shopping with the family right next to this hotel. And one more question......I know the intent for the hotel is to attract Tesla drivers, but doesn't Telsa provide these chargers free of charge with the intent of them being free to the public? I see a number of them listed as destination chargers all over (especially at Hilton garen Inns) where they list on tesla website as "for patrons only".
No, Tesla does not provide HPWCs with the intent of them being free to the public. Tesla provides them with the intent of them being free to patrons of that business. That's what "for patrons only" means. Seems you answered your own question but you plan to "freeload" anyway. That doesn't give businesses a good impression of Tesla owners. Please rethink this.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No, Tesla does not provide HPWCs with the intent of them being free to the public. Tesla provides them with the intent of them being free to patrons of that business. That's what "for patrons only" means. Seems you answered your own question but you plan to "freeload" anyway. That doesn't give businesses a good impression of Tesla owners. Please rethink this.
I wouldn't use it, but the one I'm referring to is listed as open to the public. Doubt I will hardly ever need it since I will have my own charger at home.

Depends on the hotel. I hotel I visit every fall is in the process of installing the Destination Chargers that I helped arrange, i.e., I connected them with Tesla's Destination Charging program. When I first brought it up with the hotel owner, I said it would be nice if he would let non-guests stop & use the chargers as well as guests. Oh, absolutely, he said: he understood that the electricity costs to him were minuscule compared to the promotional value he'll get with just getting people to stop by and see the place. With another hotel I hooked up with Tesla, the manager was afraid non-guest chargers would be a problem (it won't, they're out in the middle of nowhere). I said I didn't think it would be a problem, but if it becomes a problem, he could charge, say, $5 or $10 for non-guests to use it.

So, if you really want to use the charger, go in and ask and offer to pay for it. Chances are they'll just say go ahead and use it and won't bother to charge you for it.

Whenever a destination charger gets put in, it seems that Tesla lists “for patrons only” by default on the listing on their website. If the business decides to do something different, they may or may not send an update to the wording. The listing for it on Plugshare usually has more details.

Some—I think a decent proportion—seem to go how @glenhurst mentioned. It’s usually free for their customers, but they may let others use it for a fee, maybe around $10 or $15. Also, if you ask, some hotels may consider you as a “patron” for free use if you eat at their restaurant. But some are picky. One hotel I asked in McCall Idaho has a 14-50 they put in, and they charge $25 to use it no matter what, guests or non-guests.

ldgrmnmc, (Can I call you mc?) I thought I'd be supplementing my home charging with juice from the Tesla Gallery's HPWC and did so perhaps once a week. But honestly, it is so slow that the novelty wears off REAL fast. You'll see. A 14-50 at home is unbelievably convenient.

Congrats on your order! You'll love it.