Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question about scheduled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my 75D 3 days ago, and the whole family is loving it. I have a question about scheduled charging. Car owners set this for the purpose of only charging during off-peak time, however it only has start time and not end time, and really isn't a "schedule". So that creates two problems:

Say the peak time on my TOU rate is noon to 6pm on weekdays, off-peal are all other times (6 pm to noon next day, and all day on weekends), so the best I could set the schedule is to have it start at 6pm.

Problems:
1. If I plug it in after midnight, it will not immediate start charging, but wait 18 more hours and starts at 6pm.
2. If I plug it in at 11:30PM, it will start charging, that's great, but it will not stop automatically at noon the next day (when my TOU enters peak time rate)

I feel from all others things I've learned about my Model X so far, this is something that could have and should have been improved.

If u plug in after the schedule time, you can manually start the charging with a button on the charging screen. They may enhance the scheduler, but its pretty easy to estimate how long it will charge. With our x and nema, it charges about 23 miles per hour. I charge everynight and only need a few hours depending how much driving we do. It never comes remotely close to the start of our on peak times and never would because off peak is 17 hours and even if the battery was fully drained, it would only take about 10 or so hours to fully charge.

If you do have concerns about on peak or have short off peak times, you could calculate how many hours you want it to charge and set your target battery charge lower to correspond with when u want the charging to stop. IE if u get 25 miles per charge hour and only want it to charge for 4 hours, set the battery target charge for 100 miles higher thanthe range u have.

This is one thing Chevy does much better than Tesla does. In a Volt, you enter your weekday and weekend TOU schedule for summer and winter. You can then set a time of departure and the car will optimize the cost of charging to ensure you are charged by departure time.

My ELR also does this but the downside is I have to manually override it when I got a public charging station cause it doesn't use location like the Tesla

Strange, especially in the days before EVs. Why would people want exhaust fumes anywhere near clothes? It must be a left coast thing, I've never seen it where I've lived on the east coast, Michigan, or Texas. We have these places in the house called "laundry rooms".
Middle class San Francisco housing circa 1930 era, the garage was under the house and that's where washer and dryer were when I rented in the 70s. Tract home in San Gabriel valley, the washer and dryer were in garage.

These houses don't have basements. The style was to not spend money on heated space for stuff that would not need it. Probably also aided by the fact that the unsheathed garage still was not going to freeze in winter, unlike my garage in Illinios. We had laundry in basement there.