Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm replacing the stock 19" wheels with cooler rims and new tires.

My previous 2015 MS P90DL had these tires:

F: 245/35ZR21
R: 265/35ZR21

It was a pretty harsh ride. I understand this is partly due to the 21" wheels and also due to the low aspect ratio (35).

In researching new wheels and tires, it seems the following is good for a staggered setup:

F: 20x8.5" or 9"
R: 20x10"

I thought I would increase the aspect ratio to 40, so the tires would be:

F: 245/40ZR20
R: 265/40ZR20 -or- 275/40/R20

However, I see recommendations to make the aspect ratio 30 or 35 on the rear instead of 40. I don't want to make a mistake here, so advice from the knowledgeable would be appreciated. If you were in my shoes (I'm not sure you'd want to be in my shoes, but whatever...), what would you choose and why?

And forgive this question if it seems stupid:

Regarding new wheels, is there anything I ought to be wary of in choosing wheels? Reason: This car has 920 ft.-lbs. of torque. I don't want to break wheels (if that's even possible, I really don't know) upon launch at the drag strip. Advice appreciated.

Thank you!

275/35/20 is correct for the rears. That’s what I run and there’s plenty of sidewall since it’s 275 width we’re talking about. Ride isn’t harsh at all.

As for the wheels themselves, sure you can Google and find horror stories of wheels cracking etc., but unless you really go bottom basement/white-van-speaker-man, I doubt you’ll have any issues even if buying cheap wheels from Tire Rack, America’s Tire, other online sites.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
275/35/20 is correct for the rears. That’s what I run and there’s plenty of sidewall since it’s 275 width we’re talking about. Ride isn’t harsh at all.

As for the wheels themselves, sure you can Google and find horror stories of wheels cracking etc., but unless you really go bottom basement/white-van-speaker-man, I doubt you’ll have any issues even if buying cheap wheels from Tire Rack, America’s Tire, other online sites.
Thanks for that. What do you have on the front?