TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question on pre-warming car from App

Discussion in 'Model S' started by xrayvsn, Feb 16, 2016.

1. xrayvsn

xrayvsn Member

I tried a search on site and couldn't find the answer to my question so forgive me if this was addressed previously.

As far as pre-warming the car from the phone app, how long does the car maintain this state before it shuts off? The reason I asked is, I started pre-warming the car but got delayed at work and when I checked the app, the climate function had been turned off and the car essentially was back to outside temperature. (I was amazed how quickly the car drops internal temperature because probably 15 minutes before I had it maintaining the set 69 degrees). I believe outside temp that day was around 20 degrees F.

I wish the app on the phone would at least give an indication that the car warming function is about to turn off and give a possibility for us to hit a continue button just in case we are delayed.

2. AgentWimplo

AgentWimplo Member

Other things I've read say 30min, that's about what I experienced as well.

3. xrayvsn

xrayvsn Member

Thanks. Is that 30 min shutoff more of a battery savings feature and not a protective mechanism (i.e. if you have enough battery, there should be no detriment to keep on resetting the 30 min climate on cycle indefinitely)?

4. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

It's most likely a battery savings feature, because some people might forget that they turned it on and the battery would die if they left it on for days. There is a "Camp Mode" feature in the Remote S app that allows you to keep the climate on indefinitely without user interaction. It works by restarting your climate control every 30 minutes until you tell it to stop or close the app.

5. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

In 20 degree weather 10 minutes on the app works for me, is just remembering to set it up, or I end up making small talk with my smoker coworkers huddled by the entrance to inhale one for the road.

6. xrayvsn

xrayvsn Member

I think the apple app has always had features first before the android one (the one I have). I don't recall a camp mode on that one

7. cman8

cman8 Member

I dont think there is a remote s app for android, is there?

8. xrayvsn

xrayvsn Member

I guess I got confused. I thought that was the phone app from Tesla (droid and iphone versions).

9. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Remote S is a third party payware app. Not from Tesla at all.

10. RichieTheC

RichieTheC Member

Cman, yes indeed there is.

11. thimel

thimel Member

If the car is plugged in, the climate control will stay on for two hours rather than the half hour it does when unplugged.

12. cman8

cman8 Member

Where do i find the remote s app for android? Il looked at the app store and couldnt find it

13. thimel

thimel Member

14. cman8

cman8 Member

Thats what i thought. Im almost willing to go back to iphone just for remote s. Is it worth it?

15. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Just when I thought I have read everything about the Model S, I had no idea that climate control would work for 2 hours when plugged in. I thought it was 30 minutes whether plugged or unplugged. Thanks!