Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions after a week with my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow up question:

When I open a door, I hear a thud under the car, which I assume to be the battery turning on, etc. What causes the actual noise, does something open up or something under there??
The contactors make the clunking noise and connect the the battery to the car’s high-voltage equipment. At least, that’s my understanding.

Yes it depends on where you are. For us. We only have super dense stop and go on freeways where it works great. And open roads 70mph plus and lots of rain with very clear lane markers. . Both of those are great use cases.

You went a bit OT there....I don't find it relieves stress, I feel like it adds to it because I have to baby-sit the car. If I'm driving, I'm in control, I control my next action. With EAP, I'm constantly wondering if it's gonna do the right thing.

I live in a highly dense area though, so my mileage varies from what most others encounter.

EAP and where I think it will go was a major reason I waited in line to put down a deposit nearly 3 years ago. After 400 miles driven , much of that being Northern VA stop and go rush hour traffic, I am very happy with my decision. It's certainly not perfect and Im still learning where it works well and where it doesn't, but so far so good. Im out here pushing the product, letting as many people test drive the car, but so far nobody gets to use EAP.

You went a bit OT there....I don't find it relieves stress, I feel like it adds to it because I have to baby-sit the car. If I'm driving, I'm in control, I control my next action. With EAP, I'm constantly wondering if it's gonna do the right thing.

I live in a highly dense area though, so my mileage varies from what most others encounter.
I was that way at first to with EAP. After using it a few times in the same areas of heavy traffic during my commute, I no longer worry too much about it and can relax.

Still pay attention, just w/o the stressing/worrying if it will just do something stupid.

Reactions: Gattacal and Richt
I was that way at first to with EAP. After using it a few times in the same areas of heavy traffic during my commute, I no longer worry too much about it and can relax.

Still pay attention, just w/o the stressing/worrying if it will just do something stupid.

Great point, it takes a while to get more comfortable and much easier when you are going over and over the same spots. When you first start in a new location, it definitely can be concerning... And over the last year, it really has gotten way, way better.