Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions For Uk Model 3 Owners (delivery Complete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@EV Guy

What was the attitude of SC wrt those niggles?

The first one is not clear to me from the photo, without seeing the plate in person I can really tell how it would fair on my scale - I hate seeing wonky number plates. Can’t really see what the paint issue is other than there is one.

I’m not dismissing the above, far from it, but it’s difficult from the photos for me to judge the severity.

The alignment is more than a niggle though and apart from being visually unappealing it could easily lead to noise or even reduced range - the latter you could never prove and many people simply say that M3 is not the quietest of EV’s on the road.

The issue that I have is that I’m expecting a perfect car, probably much like you and many others. So, if we end up with niggles, I’m just trying to get an idea of what is an acceptable niggle to get fixed and what is simply the normal level of build quality

@EV Guy

What was the attitude of SC wrt those niggles?

The first one is not clear to me from the photo, without seeing the plate in person I can really tell how it would fair on my scale - I hate seeing wonky number plates. Can’t really see what the paint issue is other than there is one.

I’m not dismissing the above, far from it, but it’s difficult from the photos for me to judge the severity.

The alignment is more than a niggle though and apart from being visually unappealing it could easily lead to noise or even reduced range - the latter you could never prove and many people simply say that M3 is not the quietest of EV’s on the road.

The issue that I have is that I’m expecting a perfect car, probably much like you and many others. So, if we end up with niggles, I’m just trying to get an idea of what is an acceptable niggle to get fixed and what is simply the normal level of build quality

Trim fit on my Model X is pretty poor, as with many others I've seen around, but I just don't bother about it. So I'm not surprised some M3 trims are misaligned, but I'm expecting a little better than my MX in that respect - simply because it's not such an ambitious design.

What is max occupant and cargo weight? - possibly on a yellow sticker inside drivers door reveal along with tyre pressures.

Could you also say what wheel size you have and what the weight and speed rating is, ie something like 96W

I'm particularly interested in max weight for 18" wheels, but also curious about 20" wheels. I know the info from the euro spec M3 at Heathrow which was on 19" - it was only 375Kg

The info that I am after is that circled in green. Also the wheel size so I can put this info into context.

Thanks

Ian

A55F06A2-B841-4A77-84D0-70620C42CBF9.jpeg

A bit of feedback after owning a Model 3 LR AWD for just over a week. Overall I love the car - I 'm not really a car guy but I'm very impressed with how the car handles. Getting used to instant torque and full regenerative breaking took bit of time - it speeds up and slows down much faster than any car I've owned but it makes it great fun to drive - you're driving at 45 mph before you really know it and even at 100 mph there is still so much power there. The steering is very accurate and the only thing I would criticise about the driving experience is that the suspension feels a little hard (M25 junctions 12 to 10 - I'm looking at you here). I love the interior. Seats are very comfortable and the screen controls very easy to get used to. Voice commands to find music or make calls work brilliantly so far. The car looks great too. I've got 19" sports wheels and metallic blue paint which I'm very pleased with.

Bad things - there is one misaligned sill but everything else about the car on delivery was great. The auto steering is very sensitive and seems to drop even if you take your hand off the steering wheel for a second - to indicate for instance. On the second day the screen froze whilst I was driving then went blank but it restarted before I could stop, since then it's been perfect.

So overall I love it and look forward to driving the car everyday. It's only when I got back in the Golf for a short trip that you realise the gulf between the Tesla and everything else - keys, ignition, engine lag, dials and gauges, exhaust fumes. Very 20th century!

Has anyone who has collected reserve on Day 1? Did you get the model Tesla as promised yet? (My toy car collection is waiting to be complete!)

FWIW referral "prizes" have taken "forever" to arrive ... clearly the Model Car should be easier, and much much bigger numbers, but Tesla does not have good history of "paying up on time" for the inducements it offers (instead of conventional advertising ).

I found the whole picking up the car very exciting but also very nerve wrecking. They had the car waiting for me under a Tesla branded tent and the Tesla employer ready to welcome me. He was very friendly and answered all my questions very well.

My Model-S was a whip-the-sheet-off reveal - 3 years ago - the Model-3, at Heathrow, was a warehouse full of cars diagonal parked like the start of a previous era Le Mons race!

I've had a Model-S for 3 years, car is for my daughter, but she was more comfortable that I drove it out of show room (sorry "warehouse" :) ). Handover was slick - in contrast to the woes of Tesla's hopeless Support and COMMs the place was bubbling over with people, including some Tesla owners drafted in during the "waiting room" stage to answer any questions, and delivery-drivers from other sites (also answering any questions) and our handover guy was Sales from a high-street shop (rather than service centre).

But i felt like I just didn't know enough about the car to drive it properly of the forecourt

I made notes from the process, and my daughter's initial misunderstandings / comments / etc and I've documented them in another thread if folk new to EV might find that helpful

What New Owners need to Know - UK FAQ

Had super fun tonight doing this when a mini cooper S was edging forward waiting for the lights to go green. Before he even had time to start moving I was around 100 metres down the road. I honestly can't express how much fun that is to do.

The only problem with that is that a) the lights don't change to red just as you are approaching anything like often enough and b) when they do invariably you don't have a Contender alongside :(

So I'm not surprised some M3 trims are misaligned, but I'm expecting a little better than my MX in that respect

Handover guy said that very few faults found at handover on M3 (compared to M-S/X). They literally took our car off the transporter 30 minutes before we got there, washed it, and handed it over (wound the windows down and they came back up wet, so he was right on that bit!).

The auto steering is very sensitive and seems to drop even if you take your hand off the steering wheel for a second - to indicate for instance.

Surprised about that. I would expect that if you take your hands off the wheel that after fairly short interval you will get warning message on screen, and then blue-flashing-surround to draw your attention to it, but AP should not disengage (unless you also get message that it has encountered something it can't cope with - can't remember the last time I had that, its very rare, and can't imagine it happening at all if you are just trogging along a motorway.)

If AP is not confident (e..g tight bend) it will take a tiny amount of force to disengage it, and I think fair to say you could achieve that by knocking the wheel. But if you are on the straight on a clear motorway I would expect fairly significant force to be needed to take-over steering from AP (i.e. in that situation I don't think "knocking the wheel" could happen)

Might be worth some experiments to see if yours really does disengage (repeatedly) that easily, and if so maybe the sensors will need adjustment?

What version software is being shipped on the car?

When we’re you first offered an update and to what version?

Can't remember the version, but it already had a software update with the "Schedule a time to install this" menu option

For the RWD LR with 18" aero the maximum mass on top of the vehicle mass to reach maximum mass is 391kg.
@sixela did you work that out for yourself or read it off the official sticker.

Looks like its going to be pretty easy to overload the M3 weight wise - certainly wouldn't take 4 rugby players if all models are 375kg occupant and cargo limit. Likewise a family of 4, with holiday klobber and bikes on tow hitch is going to be pretty tight. I'm hoping that models with 18" wheels, is going to have a higher weight rating due to higher weight rating that I have seen fitted as standard to US models - 18" tyres, as apparently fitted as standard on US versions (I understand they EU and/or UK tyres are different) have a 40kg per tyre (160kg overall) higher weight rating than 19" version, unknown with 20". So there is scope for cars with 18" wheels as standard to have a higher official weight limit than 375kg on the euro spec 19" version that I have seen.

I sometimes carry 70kg batteries from an EV that a team that I am involved in race - as it is, the trunk wont take more than 60kg unless we split. Add 3 occupants, tools, holiday luggage (Goodwood is close to our holiday appt), 23kg ebike on tow bar then 375kg is close to limit I would think. Nothing like an insurance company to nit pick and not pay out for a car that exceeds official weight limit, yet is within tyre loading, body weight limits. Especially if third parties get injured.

Last edited:
Model 3 SR+ with aero wheels. I ordered on June 15th so I expect I’ve got quite a wait.
How about you?
Collecting Digbeth. Reserved July 2017.Blue AWD LR 19".Previous BMW car.Insurance was going to do with Privilege - they stopped doing model 3 now - so direct line or Churchill circa £750.Ordered charger from Digbeth with only Reservation number - they sent it by TNT.
Car Ordered 1.5.19 10am.Nothing from Tesla.I rang them for a discount as LR awd discounted - they were not interested.Car is de valued and not even received yet - leaves a sour taste in the mouth to be truthful.Nothing from Tesla not even a hello mate with think your great - nothing since July 2017.First automatic.First Electric.Thinking about extended warty in year 4 £3k at a guess.

Would someone mind posting a couple of photos of rear boot space - with and without cargo floor lifted? Plus comment on usable space below cargo floor. Max cargo floor weight is 60kg, but below is much more, but I'm not sure of usable space.

Would someone mind posting a couple of photos of rear boot space - with and without cargo floor lifted? Plus comment on usable space below cargo floor. Max cargo floor weight is 60kg, but below is much more, but I'm not sure of usable space.

Search on You Tube for “Tesla Model 3 trunk” and you’ll find plenty of useful videos that will help, including putting luggage etc into the trunk/boot to illustrate the usability.

Reactions: MrBadger
@sixela did you work that out for yourself or read it off the official sticker.

Read it off the Certificate of Conformity (upon which the sticker is based).

By the way: people with a RWD LR tow bar have a different CoC and different limits, even though it's the same car.

If you didn’t order a tow bar you get a limit of 0kg of towing capacity, making it impossible to install a tow bar after the fact without recertifying the car with the tow bar (through a procedure that is country dependent).

Last edited: