Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions to ask at the Annual Shareholders Meeting on June 3rd, 2014.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't see a need to ask max capacity when it has been stated quite a few times already that it would be 500k and that is what they are planning for is 500k. This is also reinforced given that all battery assembly and production will be moved to the new factory, and guess what it's yearly output rate is? 500k... They have also said before that the battery factory would only have capacity to fill out Fremont and nothing more... as in... they will need more than one battery factory and more than one car factory in order to go over 500k. Where is the confusion in capacity?

As for the timing... According to the documents they gave on the factory, they are shooting for full capacity by 2020. So I would say that until you hear word otherwise that they are building a new factory (either Battery or Car) that the ramp up to 500k will peak in 2020.

This has been pretty clearly outlined by numerous sources and restated a few times by some of the same sources.

Edit: I am not one of the talented Tea Leaf readers here on the forums, I defer that to other people, so there is no speculation involved in this post... this is purely what has already been stated by the company... So the REAL question would be: Do you see yourself adding another Car Factory and Battery Factory into the mix before 2020, and are you planning to produce MORE THAN 500k cars by 2020?

Because it is not really a question of if they are going to hit 500k with Fremont, it is a question of if they are going to hit more than that.

This is pretty much it. On the edges are concerns that they wont use the plant as efficiently as it had been by NUMMI given how much space they are already using and hopes that they will be able to get higher production via more shifts (not sure if NUMMI was running all shifts). Given the importance of the Fremont plant's production capacity I can understand why people are focusing on those edges, but as Chickenevil wrote, we've certainly already have pretty good indications on the base case.

As to adding additional factories, starting around Elon's China trip, another factory in 3-4 years has been alluded to multiple times. Thus far, no one has really followed up on this, other than asking about an overlapping issue (Elon answering a question about a potential partner in China and replying along the lines that Tesla is just getting to the walking stage, so a bit early to be thinking about dating). I'm not sure it's really been reported. I'm not sure Tesla would say much more now, but if the question is put to Elon, who knows what he will divulge.

Would someone be willing to ask the following question.

"Tesla has made great strides to create, over the next couple of years, an expansive cross-country network of charging for long distance travel. However, in many locals destination charging is whoa-fully missing. What active strides is Tesla considering on pursuing to help improve destination charging for Tesla owners, above and beyond the offer of HPWC's to locations willing to install them? Are there any plans to partner with national hotel chains to offer destination charging? Does Tesla see the lack of destination charging as an impediment to Tesla adoption?"

Thanks

How about the possibility to have third parties operate supercharging stations... kind of like gas stations are right now. I think this would DRAMATICALLY increase the infrastructure network. Essentially in my mind I'm thinking you have franchised stations where operators can get business through things like convenience/cafe/etc. and paying per charge.

I'd pay for it because I live in an apartment with no possibility of charging.

Would be great if someone can ask this question:

Last year, Tesla stated that they would be testing demand in 2014 to see what the true demand is out there for Model S. Has this taken place yet? Are there factors, such as higher than expected Chinese demand/higher than expected Model X demands, that are already good enough signs that demand continues to be strong?

To ask either Mr Musk or Mr Straubel:

Mr Musk made a statement about the Gen 3 capacity that was interpreted in some quarters as implying that the Gen 3 base capacity would be 20% less than the base Model S, so 48kWh. An inquiring mind (in a cold-winter state) wishes to know what base capacity you are currently anticipating.

How about the possibility to have third parties operate supercharging stations... kind of like gas stations are right now. I think this would DRAMATICALLY increase the infrastructure network. Essentially in my mind I'm thinking you have franchised stations where operators can get business through things like convenience/cafe/etc. and paying per charge.

I'd pay for it because I live in an apartment with no possibility of charging.
A similar idea is discussed here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/31865-Let-s-get-a-Supercharger-installed-in-SF

Apparently Tesla is already finding third party partners:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/26/in...d-commitments-of-electrifying-road-transport/

However, by the math I have done, if the station was built in the city and primarily designed for people without overnight charging, it would have to be "pay to charge" to make economical sense.
It might require a re-brand to separate the free to charge superchargers and the pay to charge ones.

So my question would be is if they would ever have "pay to charge" superchargers designed primarily for local use by city people (rather than road-trip focused).

However, by the math I have done, if the station was built in the city and primarily designed for people without overnight charging, it would have to be "pay to charge" to make economical sense.
It might require a re-brand to separate the free to charge superchargers and the pay to charge ones.

So my question would be is if they would ever have "pay to charge" superchargers designed primarily for local use by city people (rather than road-trip focused).

It would also require a HUGE connection to the grid at that location. Doesn't make any long-term sense to me. The long-term method should be a charger at every parking place, which would best be done with multi-headed chargers.

So, my other question would be to ask:
"In the longer term, to maximize the plug-in market we shall need to deal with multi-car lots and on-street parking. It seems obvious that this would most effectively be done with multi-vehicle chargers instead of individual chargers. Have you any plans to develop multi-vehicle home and destination chargers?"

Will someone ask Elon for a job today? If they do I wonder if he'll be prepared for the question this time.

Anyone who is reading this that is at the meeting......you have my permission to grab the microphone out of that person's hand. This is about TM and it's future, not a job interview:wink:

EDIT: StapleGun just posted that he is sitting in front row. I have asked him to check out this thread if he needs some question advice.....Doubt he does....