Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quietest high performance summer tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be looking for some ultra high performance summer tires for my P85D on 19" base wheels in the near future. I see there are alot of great reviews out there, but road noise in this class of tires doesn't seem to be much of a talking point.

I'm not really concerned (within reason) about tire wear, range, cost, etc... I just want them to stick like glue and keep the road noise down.

You would think a nice supple, soft compound would help dampen vibrations and noise compared to a typical harder, higher treadwear rating all season. Is this the case?

Pilot Sport 3 + ear plugs
Performance tires are designed to be light, sticky and all else be dammed. Regular tires have taller side walls to absorb the bumps which makes them ride better and deaden sound to some extent. You can get the Tesla original performance tires which have a sound dampening foam liner, but the jury is out on how much good it does. Adds about $30 per tire.

I went in another direction - wind noise and tire noise be damned - invest in a good amp and sub - and then you won't ever care again about wind or tire noise.

I went with LightHarmonic for their UHFS AMP and went with an aftermarket sub in the stock sub location. Has some early issues with LH, but the last AMP they sent me has been rock solid for 18 months now, and I abuse it daily!!!

This weeks music favorites (based on current events):
Korn/Slipknot - "Sabotage"
Queensrÿche - "Revolution Calling"
Green Day - "American Idiot"

Etymotic makes awesome earphones, I had a pair years ago and finally one of the wires started to intermittently fail. I loved them and was so disappointed when that happened (after years of use). I remember I had to replace the ear filters with this weird little screw driver...

They were great on my motorcycle, but provided a little too much isolation on a motorbike to be safe to use.

I'll be looking for some ultra high performance summer tires for my P85D on 19" base wheels in the near future. I see there are alot of great reviews out there, but road noise in this class of tires doesn't seem to be much of a talking point.

I'm not really concerned (within reason) about tire wear, range, cost, etc... I just want them to stick like glue and keep the road noise down.

You would think a nice supple, soft compound would help dampen vibrations and noise compared to a typical harder, higher treadwear rating all season. Is this the case?
Did you ever find out and decide on a tire? I am looking for the exact same thing, sticky, but quiet. Best I can find is Firehawk Indy 500 has great reviews on Tirerack but the reviews are obviously subjective so not sure.

Pilot Sport 3 + ear plugs
Performance tires are designed to be light, sticky and all else be dammed. Regular tires have taller side walls to absorb the bumps which makes them ride better and deaden sound to some extent. You can get the Tesla original performance tires which have a sound dampening foam liner, but the jury is out on how much good it does. Adds about $30 per tire.

Are you saying the Pilot Sport 3 are loud? I will also be looking for 3 season tires and I’m not as concerned with summer performance as the OP but noise is my top concern.

Are you saying the Pilot Sport 3 are loud? I will also be looking for 3 season tires and I’m not as concerned with summer performance as the OP but noise is my top concern.
according to reviews on tirerack Pilot Sport 3 gets 7.7 out of 10 for noise, where 10 is most quiet. But Firehawk Indy 500 gets 8.5. Much better than many comfort touring tires that are specifically made for quietness. Doesn't make sense. Do they refer quietness compared to other ultra high-performance tires or compared to all tires?

Reactions: Struja
I can say after 20K+ miles with the Pilot Sport 3's they are very road dependent. Totally silent on some roads WHUMP, WHUMP, WHUMP on cement freeways with breaks. Wifey's Contis are more consistent but they are on a Camry so not directly comparable.

I will stay with the Michelin's though, the performance is worth the occasional road noise.

OP here, I’m leaning towards the Indy 500 for it’s supposed low noise, good performance, and great pricing. Now that the cold weather is gone, it’s time to throw some new tires on. I’ll keep my old RS-A2 with good tread for winter duties next year. I’m waiting out until next month in hopes to find some PS3’s on sale as I would prefer to have OEM approved tires at a similar price as the 500...

according to reviews on tirerack Pilot Sport 3 gets 7.7 out of 10 for noise, where 10 is most quiet. But Firehawk Indy 500 gets 8.5. Much better than many comfort touring tires that are specifically made for quietness. Doesn't make sense. Do they refer quietness compared to other ultra high-performance tires or compared to all tires?

I believe that is just rated based on buyer's expectation so I would not compare those two numbers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Olle
The service center has put on my Firehawk Indy 500 now. They look so good on the car. The noise went down compared to the OEM tires that were replaced, but those were worn out so not a fair comparison. What I can say with certainty though is that the grip went up. Maybe by 20 to 30%. Tire rack has probably one of the most consistent ratings and review systems but Model S is heavier per tire width than most cars so the ratings don't necessarily translate perfectly. Perhaps we should start a TMC Model S table with summer tire ratings?

Isn't it interesting that we never see a thread of questions like, what's the lowest performance tire for my Tesla? What is the tire I am going to dislike the most? Which tire will not last as long as another low performance tire, so when I buy it anyway I can complain about it and blame my Tesla? Just an observation. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Olle