Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio upgrade coming soon for MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$500 includes the labor cost - which could be high since the radio module is evidently not easily replaced. Even though the price is high for an FM/HD/XM tuner, we're going to proceed with the radio upgrade - because we want our 2017 S to have access to the latest features available on MCU2 (including the best FSD visualization) and we do periodically listen to FM/HD/XM radio.

Submitted a service request last night for the Infotainment Upgrade when the radio upgrade is available. The app scheduled us for next week, though I'm expecting to see that pushed back until parts are available.

There are several streaming apps that can provide access to local AM stations. Though many AM stations are also simulcast on HD subchannels on FM - which is what we do in our 2018 X which has always had MCU2 and never had AM.

Unfortunately, only TuneIn is included as a built-in app on the console. The other apps must be run on a bluetooth-connected device, with the app started and controller through that device's display - which is illegal in many areas while the vehicle is in motion.

Plus, the radio streaming apps will usually block live sports broadcasts due to licensing restrictions. For those, XM radio or the XM streaming app can provide access to live sports plus national news.

Only Tesla could make a $100K car and be cheap and stupid as f@ck to not put in a $8 AM radio part.
It is cheap and easy to do, not to mention EVERY car in existence since 1940 has had an AM radio in it. Even if you don't use it, people EXPECT it when you go to sell the car. Some people like listening to ball games, traffic, local stations, ect. Just because some silicon valley dude uses bluetooth from his iPhone to his car doesn't mean we should all be inconvienced, especially at the price point of this car. It is almost as stupid as them not putting lights on the vanity mirrors of my 2017 MS, but then they do it in 2018. What? That $3 LED strip was too expensive in 2017, or were they just retarded and missed the fact that every car in the last 30 years has lighted vanity mirrors so the wife can check her makeup and stuff at night. I mean if you are going to make a superior car (which it is in most ways), at least get the simple basics done first, SMH!

I will probably spring for this for a few reasons:
1- Bluetooth works only fir one device- which is my phone, so a Bluetooth radio Device does not make sense for me.
2- I want to be able to have radio in the absence of internet connectivity
3- I like my AM radio , which I can also listen to on FM simultaneously
4- Someday when radio is actually obsolete because internet is truly always on - like radio, I will be happy to ditch radio

Our 2017 S has AM radio - and we don't use it because every AM station we listen to is also available in HD radio (on FM), with higher quality.

So when we bought our 2018 X, the loss of AM radio was no big deal - we still had FM/HD/XM - and didn't miss out on any AM programming.

I've ordered the upgrade. Tesla service contacted me and asked if I wanted to lower the cost by $250 by not replacing the display (didn't ask if this was the dashboard or console display). I told them I want the display replaced. Parts ordered - and installation scheduled at the nearest Service Center on 11/17. They are supposed to do the radio upgrade at the same time (for $500).

As best I can tell, that device is an FM transmitter not a Tesla compatible Bluetooth transmitter. It needs the FM radio in the car to work and a clear FM channel to use. So, still need that $500 FM radio...

I've been using a simpler FM transmitter in my Model S for years to listen to audio books on my tiny MP3 player (about the size of a matchbook) via its Aux jack. Works well enough but finding a clear FM channel can be a challenge in some locations. Tesla couldn't be bothered to include an Aux jack in their cars, presumably because it was too low tech compared a huge clunky smartphone connected via Bluetooth.

The holy grail for me would be a Bluetooth transmitter with an Aux jack that actually will connect to a Tesla, in place of a phone (which I don't use in the car for safety reasons).

Emergency Information & Safety Tips

Highway Advisory Radio System
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission currently operates a Highway Advisory Radio System with transmitting sites located at various points along the Turnpike system. Located at 1640 AM on the radio dial, the Highway Advisory Radio System provides motorists with the latest, up-to-the-minute reports regarding delays, accidents, weather conditions, and other travel information on the Turnpike and on connecting state and US routes. Remote control signs equipped with special flashing lights are strategically located along the roadway and flash when motorists need to tune in their radios to receive a message relating to possible delays during construction or emergency situations. Additional Highway Advisory Radio sites are planned for other key locations, and eventually the system will be expanded to service the entire Turnpike system. The Highway Advisory Radio System operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. In addition to the permanently mounted broadcast system, the Turnpike Commission has four portable AM broadcasting units that are utilized for special events across the Turnpike system.

Cost is supposed to be $3000 for the Infotainment Upgrade with Radio (plus taxes), $250 less if they don't replace the display. Will be able to confirm after 11/17 service center appointment.

Only Tesla could make a $100K car and be cheap and stupid as f@ck to not put in a $8 AM radio part.
It is cheap and easy to do, not to mention EVERY car in existence since 1940 has had an AM radio in it. Even if you don't use it, people EXPECT it when you go to sell the car. Some people like listening to ball games, traffic, local stations, ect. Just because some silicon valley dude uses bluetooth from his iPhone to his car doesn't mean we should all be inconvienced, especially at the price point of this car. It is almost as stupid as them not putting lights on the vanity mirrors of my 2017 MS, but then they do it in 2018. What? That $3 LED strip was too expensive in 2017, or were they just retarded and missed the fact that every car in the last 30 years has lighted vanity mirrors so the wife can check her makeup and stuff at night. I mean if you are going to make a superior car (which it is in most ways), at least get the simple basics done first, SMH!
My BMW i3 did not have AM radio.

Emergency Information & Safety Tips

Highway Advisory Radio System
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission currently operates a Highway Advisory Radio System with transmitting sites located at various points along the Turnpike system. Located at 1640 AM on the radio dial, the Highway Advisory Radio System provides motorists with the latest, up-to-the-minute reports regarding delays, accidents, weather conditions, and other travel information on the Turnpike and on connecting state and US routes. Remote control signs equipped with special flashing lights are strategically located along the roadway and flash when motorists need to tune in their radios to receive a message relating to possible delays during construction or emergency situations. Additional Highway Advisory Radio sites are planned for other key locations, and eventually the system will be expanded to service the entire Turnpike system. The Highway Advisory Radio System operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. In addition to the permanently mounted broadcast system, the Turnpike Commission has four portable AM broadcasting units that are utilized for special events across the Turnpike system.

Looks like there is another option besides just the radio. Not perfect, but most likely sufficient. Course I would just look at the map on the MCU for the traffic info to see if red (backed up).

“Motorists can tune to radio 1640 AM for detour information and traffic conditions or call the Turnpike Roadway Information line at 866-976- 8747.”

Turnpike Resources

Thanks smhirsch.
I'd definitely be interested in hearing about the cost & how it went & works for you.
Sorry I took so long to update this thread. It was a flat $500 installation fee to restore FM/HD/Sirius/XM radio. I have a retractable roof so I already had the antenna (I've heard panoramic glass roof models are problematic with satellite radio) and everything works great for the most part. One interesting "quirk" is that while you can no longer directly tune by number input to a satellite channel, you can set favorites, which show up just fine on the screen (they did finally add album art, too, which is a big plus) but you cannot scroll through your favorites with the steering wheel mounted forward/back buttons. Those only take you up or down from the channel you are on rather than through your favorites... strange indeed. I haven't yet reached out to anyone in corporate as to whether I'm doing something wrong or there's a setting somewhere, so if anyone knows, please share!

Sorry I took so long to update this thread. It was a flat $500 installation fee to restore FM/HD/Sirius/XM radio. I have a retractable roof so I already had the antenna (I've heard panoramic glass roof models are problematic with satellite radio) and everything works great for the most part. One interesting "quirk" is that while you can no longer directly tune by number input to a satellite channel, you can set favorites, which show up just fine on the screen (they did finally add album art, too, which is a big plus) but you cannot scroll through your favorites with the steering wheel mounted forward/back buttons. Those only take you up or down from the channel you are on rather than through your favorites... strange indeed. I haven't yet reached out to anyone in corporate as to whether I'm doing something wrong or there's a setting somewhere, so if anyone knows, please share!

Do you know exactly what Tesla had to replace when restoring the FM/HD/Sirius/XM radio? For example, did they need to replace the antenna in the fixed portion of the panoramic roof glass? What exactly did they need to take apart to install the FM radio upgrade?