Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain-X windshield, windows, and cameras. You will thank me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the X 3 weeks ago and night visibility has been sub par. I thought it was the LEDs reading how terrible they were on this forum, and the front windshield was hard to see through in the rain and at night.

I hand washed it once since getting it a week ago, and the windshield was still grimy and spotty. Couldn't take it anymore and applied rain x. I could see the grime and spots being wiped away and it made it windows really really clean.

Wow what a difference! It is raining here in NJ and visibility is excellent and the wipers actually wipe away the rain without leaving streaks or residue.

Rear camera has rain spots but the faster I drove the faster the drops cleared making the camera still useful in the rain.

I don't think the tesla store does a great job detailing the car at delivery especially the glass. It definitely needs a thorough cleaning.

Damn I sound like an ad for rainx, but it works.

I am not sure if only I have this problem, but my windshield has this weird residue or something baked on it that's visible during the rain. It's terrible at night during the rain.

See the video I took. Did you have the same issue?

There's also residue in eye line (the most annoying area), just that it's hard to capture w/ the bright background. In fact the residue is everywhere from driver to passenger.

You are saying rain-x got rid of it?

I have tried baking soda, cleaners, magic eraser, goo-gone, etc.

As soon as I put tap water and wipe it, it looks like this:

IMG_1226.JPG

Just took it out this morning in some light rain. Yours looks way worse than what I had. The rainx really helped with the overall cleanliness of the windshield and removed the hard waterspots and residue. If you tried all those other products ( no Windex?)then I'm not sure it will help you with the rainx.

Reactions: wesley888
There's also residue in eye line (the most annoying area), just that it's hard to capture w/ the bright background. In fact the residue is everywhere from driver to passenger.

You are saying rain-x got rid of it?

I have tried baking soda, cleaners, magic eraser, goo-gone, etc.

As soon as I put tap water and wipe it, it looks like this:
So the service center wouldn't help resolve this? Was this from day 1?

Due Diligence (DD) but do a google search for this (not 4 0's for finest stuff): clean (rainx and) windshield steel wool 0000

I have had similar issues since delivery in March 2016 (especially on the inside probably due to de-gassing). It looks like I finally resolved the outside "film" by applying Griot's Glass Sealant (similar to Rain-X) but using an orbital buffer to aggressively remove rather than by hand. The sealant has done the trick so far but too soon to swear by it. I have also used glass polish with a buffer & glass pad when there is a lot of grime & build-up on the other cars (not used on the Model S yet).

So the service center wouldn't help resolve this? Was this from day 1?

Due Diligence (DD) but do a google search for this (not 4 0's for finest stuff): clean (rainx and) windshield steel wool 0000
I brought it in and they replaced the wiper blades. Before the replacement it was worse during the rain where it would leave a lot of streaks. After replacement it was better but the water on top of the residue is still not getting a good clean. It barely rains here in socal but it's starting to rain a lot more so it's becoming an annoyance. The windshield is fine without rain/water so I haven't been pressing to get it fixed.

Rain and snow smear on the the windshield of my three-week old model x very badly, and the wiper does not help at all. I found a bottle of 12-year-old RainX, and I applied it to the glass and wiped it clean with a microfiber towel. It makes a huge difference. The windshield is so sleek that I don't need to use wiper on highway; the wind just blows the water drops away. Will see how long it last. I used to use RainX windshield fluid, but it may be not good for the paint and I stopped using.

I have this weird smear on my windshield, it's pretty wide and it's right in the line of site.

I have already had my X in for Tesla to look at it once but they said that there is no fix. It's going in again at the end of Jan. Oregon lemon law is that they have 3 attempts to fix an issue, if not then I have the right to sue, which I do not want to do. I love this X.

I have this weird smear on my windshield, it's pretty wide and it's right in the line of site.

I have already had my X in for Tesla to look at it once but they said that there is no fix. It's going in again at the end of Jan. Oregon lemon law is that they have 3 attempts to fix an issue, if not then I have the right to sue, which I do not want to do. I love this X.

Do you see the same smearing like my photo above if you just wipe the windshield with water?

How is there no fix? Wouldn't they at least try replacing the windshields? There's no way every windshield is like this.