Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Rubberized? It's glass, and should not be coated with anything. There's talk in another thread indicating there may be clear coat overspray on some cars. Might want to research that.
One possibility is that both new car companies (Hyundai and Tesla) both have this overspray problem, and share the same foundations of that problem because they're both new. That helps me understand how to deal with it better, if it is so. Thank you.

Ok, good news #1: Rain-X is working better on my front windshield. I'm not a chemist, so here are my guesses why:
  • Different type of rain
  • Different wind speed and direction (driving dynamics and traffic conditions (speed being major factor))
  • Rain-X buffed into my window more
Excited by this success, when it was dry I applied it again with a microfiber cloth, and also did all the cameras I could find (rear, rear facing side, side, front) -- look up any guide to where all the driving automation cameras are for reference.

Good news #2: I only have rear camera feedback enabled on my car (this is before Tesla has released Tesla Vision initital version active driving assistance and automation firmware), but already in the half hour I've been watching the rear view camera, it is much improved. I highly recommend this, so far.

I went ahead and ordered Aquapel on Amazon. I'll get it Tuesday. I'll wait for the Rain-X to wear off for a while before applying the Aquapel, but I'm excited to try that too.

• Disagree
Reactions: Texas and wesley888
Be careful!! I used Rain X and it seemed to gum up the windshield. So I got aquapel, followed the instructions for application, and the results have been even worse. The windshield cannot be made completely clean, and the wipers leave stripes. These are brand-new Bosch top of the line wipers. I have tried everything to clean this gunk off the windshield, to no avail. As a last resort, I'm going to use 0000 steel wool with soap and water.

• Disagree
Reactions: RenMan68 and uuxxaa
From first hand experience with these products, GTECHNIQ Clear Vision Smart Glass is a much better product than RainX or Aquapel. It also costs a lot more but IMHO it's well worth it.

It's much more work to apply (the glass needs to be cleaned and polished using the included G4 Nanotech Glass Polish) but there's no smearing and it lasts at least 18 months or more. In fact I'm about 2 years into application and it's still very effective.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and davidc18
Has anyone experienced their windshield wiper skipping after these products are applied? Any idea of the cause?

Because the Rain-X worked too well. :) I've noticed that when I let the Rain-X soak into the glass (as instructed) for too long, the wiper would skip. The windshield basically becomes too dry. No water could stick on to it.

Nowadays, I don't let the rain-x to stay on too long and wipe it away. The water doesn't glide off as much, but the wiper won't skip neither.

I use RainX spray with no problems except pretty short life.

What I've noticed is that if I use Permanon polish on the windshield first, it is much easier to apply the RainX than to the glass directly. It seems to work just as well, although it doesn't last any longer.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Thanks for the advice, davidc18. I've ordered the Rain-X Extreme Clean and intend to apply it using my polisher on the front windshield as suggested. Also per your suggestion, I am planning to follow that with Rain-X 2-1 cleaner, and apply frequently to keep the windshield perfectly clear. I bought new Bosch ICON wipers only a few months ago thinking the old ones might be the source of my problems. From what I've read, I understand the best way to clean the rubber is with Isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone know a better way to clean the wipers?

From first hand experience with these products, GTECHNIQ Clear Vision Smart Glass is a much better product than RainX or Aquapel. It also costs a lot more but IMHO it's well worth it.

It's much more work to apply (the glass needs to be cleaned and polished using the included G4 Nanotech Glass Polish) but there's no smearing and it lasts at least 18 months or more. In fact I'm about 2 years into application and it's still very effective.
I have a hard time believing that the product will work that long. I'd actually be happy with it just working through the Seattle rainy season (September thru June). Currently I apply RainX once a month with a deep cleaning every time.

So finally got my S90D Dec 30. Jan 2 put about 150 miles in light to heavy rain on the car. Worst visibility I've ever experienced. Scary bad.

Next day found my many years old bottle of a Rain-X cleaner. Funky looking brown crud in the bottle, so went to Pep Boys to buy a new one. Only had a kit with a clay bar and a bottle of Rain-X included, neither of which I needed, so I bought a tube of Stoners Invisible Glass Water Spot Remover and some applicator pads.

Used Sprayway cleaner twice, but could still see spots. Thought it could have been petroleum based, maybe from the car carrier it was trucked on, but the Sprayway should have removed that. Don't know if they cover the windshield with that protective while film or not, but if so, it could have been residue from the adhesive? Don't know, but it took a lot of rubbing with the Invisible Glass cleaner followed by Sprayway to get the glass literally squeaky clean. BTW, I use Scott "Rags in a Box" due to low lint content rather than kitchen paper towels.

After 2 applications, I'm ready for rain. Instead, we have 2 days of snow. New baby is not venturing out of the garage.

Will update later if any wiper problems others have experienced up thread, but I've never had to use wipers after a fresh Rain-X application, at least not for the first few rains, as long as the glass is kept clean. Time will tell :)

Reactions: davidc18