Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Stealth Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the first time I've read an explanation that makes sense.
Now the question is, which of those things did Tesla get so wrong compared to every other car on the road that makes Tesla wipers so ridiculously susceptible to coatings like Rain-X and Aquapel when every other car windshield benefits greatly from them?
Well there are a number of factors that contribute even beyond what I originally mentioned. There is length of the wiper arm; the longer it is the more susceptible to chattering it will be.
The "play" in any of the joints between the actual wiper motor and the blade will all contribute to instability in the system and promote chattering too.
Who knew so many factors went into something as seemingly simple as a windshield wiper!? You would think manufacturers could just copy someone that got it right and we'd never have to deal with it again. The proven successful systems aren't patented, they've been around for decades.

Reactions: davidc18
Have used Aquapel top-coated with 2-3 applications of Rain-X for 10 years on my Infiniti.
If the windshield is clean, rarely ever need wipers turned on, except in mist and slow moving traffic.

Never chatters with any blade I've ever used. Important too to keep blade clean; diesel spray from tractors not a good thing. Granted not the same car, but haven't had a car yet where this didn't work well.

For those in snow and ice areas, never ever lift blades in the air to keep them from being stuck to the windshield when parked. This will stretch the spring in the wiper arm which will reduce its tension, lessening pressure against the window. Also increases wind lift at high speeds.

Reactions: mburnet6 and Ulmo
Well there are a number of factors that contribute even beyond what I originally mentioned. There is length of the wiper arm; the longer it is the more susceptible to chattering it will be.
The "play" in any of the joints between the actual wiper motor and the blade will all contribute to instability in the system and promote chattering too.
Who knew so many factors went into something as seemingly simple as a windshield wiper!? You would think manufacturers could just copy someone that got it right and we'd never have to deal with it again. The proven successful systems aren't patented, they've been around for decades.
The wipers were so bad on my Leaf that I had to change them a few months after I got it. The wipers on the i3 I had would suck water back from the edge of the windshield half way over the drivers side with every swipe.

I live in the SF Bay Area and so I hardly ever use the wipers on my cars (except for the occasional wash&wipe). Today it has been raining and my 2 month old car seems to be having the same problem that you mention. Going up reasonably well, but jumping 5-6 times coming down. My passengers were like yayyy we get to ride in a Tesla, but then they were asking me what is going on with my wipers. I feel embarrassed. Another item on my 'fix-it' list.... Did you ever find any solution to this rpo?

Same problem here.

Reactions: Ulmo
$50 for the stock wipers? Well, at least that makes the 4 year service plan cost look a bit better.
Well, those were retail upgrades because the ones they gave me with the service plan suddenly got stiff and chattery. No idea why. Now I make them give them to me and I save them for when I might need them. I will say that Icons are outstanding and long lasting.

I used the 0000 Steel Wool on my windshield and side mirrors last night. removed a lot of water spots fairly easily. Also you could feel smooth and rough areas on the windshield. now all smooth.

When it rains I will report back...

As for the wimpy wiper motor... my guess is that Tesla tested with brand new wipers and a brand new windshield, and it worked fine.

Now that many of these cars have 50,000-100,000 miles... they don't work fine. Even though our Mazda Tribute with 175,000 wipes just fine.

I don't know why Tesla had to reinvent EVERY freaking wheel... you'd think a wiper motor was a wiper motor...

in anycase, i fully expect to burn up at least one more before I'm out of warranty... cheap motor goes boom. but warranty :)

I never realized anyone had wiper problems. Never experienced it on any of my cars and all I do after handwashing and drying my car, I clean my windows with a microfiber towel and a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water that I keep in a spray bottle. Removes hard water spots and then I wipe each blade.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I've been doing fine with Aquapel going on 2 years now, re-applied once, with Bosch Icon blades.

The stock blades stuttered. The Icons do not.

Pro tip: when you clean your windshield, also wipe down your blades.
So I buy a $100,000 car, and the wipers it comes with are worse than those on a car that literally costs 1/10th as much?

Wow... In this price category I shouldn't need to buy aftermarket wipers just so they don't chatter.

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
So I buy a $100,000 car, and the wipers it comes with are worse than those on a car that literally costs 1/10th as much?

Wow... In this price category I shouldn't need to buy aftermarket wipers just so they don't chatter.

It rains so rarely in California Tesla doesn't notice. You may think that's a joke, but it's not. Look at the performance of wiper nozzles, for example. You need to use then every few minutes while driving through snowy/salty conditions, but pretty rarely around Tesla HQ.

I have been complaining about this since delivery of my Model S. It has nothing to do with the mileage. The wiper system just straight sucks.

To save you the time of reading everything I've done here is where I am now and it appears to be working.

Dropped my drivers side blade down to 24" (stock 28"). I can't tell the difference in the change and neither could my wife (it's her car).

Apply Rain X 2 in 1 window cleaner and water repellant every 2-3 days. BTW, this is the best window cleaning product I have ever tried. As long as you apply in the shade it leaves ZERO streaks. I even use it on the inside windows. And it's a breeze to apply. This is coming from someone who has literally tried everything out there and every micro fiber cloth you could imagine. Thanks to member davidc18 for this tip!

I drove 30mins in the rain last week and the wipers glided smoothly nearly the entire time. I started getting a little chatter on the lower part of the driver blade during the last 5mins. This is LIGHT YEARS beyond anything else that has been attempted.

Here is my history.
  1. Wipers chattered in first rain storm.
  2. I applied Rain X (straight rain X) in hopes it would remedy. Made it worse.
  3. Changed to Bosch Icon blades. Worked for about 10mins then no better.
  4. Tried Rain X embedded blades. Worked for about 10mins then no better.
  5. Back to Bosch blades and applied various window treatments. All worked for about 10mins then no better.
  6. Took to dealer who changed blades again and claimed to have fixed. Worked for about 10mins then no better.
  7. Back to dealer again. They blamed it on Rain X. They very aggressively removed all window treatments and in the process I feel they damaged the finish of my windshield. Installed new blades again Water now sheets off window but blades work ok. Enough that i could live with it but still not acceptable. Problem is that it's now dangerous to drive in the rain. Water just sits on window and blades don't work fast enough. Can't see *sugar*. Per Tesla, the wipers work as they were designed too. In other words, the design is terrible and this is as good as it gets. Deal with it.
  8. Dropped down to 26" driver wiper. Slightly better but still unacceptable.
  9. After complaining again on forum was advised by another FL resident to try Rain X 2 in 1 glass cleaner and water treatment. After 1st application I went totally backwards to item 2 above. But at least I could see where the hell I was going. Following the forum members advice I kept reapplying and it has gotten much better.
  10. Dropped drivers blade down to 24". This is where I am currently at.
  11. Plan to try the Michelin blades. All other blades noted above were Bosch Icon blades. I have $100+ in Bosch blades sitting in my garage that I should just dump in garbage.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and davidc18
Dropped my drivers side blade down to 24" (stock 28"). I can't tell the difference in the change and neither could my wife (it's her car).
So it no longer wipes over the AP camera?

Apply Rain X 2 in 1 window cleaner and water repellant every 2-3 days. BTW, this is the best window cleaning product I have ever tried. As long as you apply in the shade it leaves ZERO streaks. I even use it on the inside windows. And it's a breeze to apply. This is coming from someone who has literally tried everything out there and every micro fiber cloth you could imagine. Thanks to member davidc18 for this tip!

I drove 30mins in the rain last week and the wipers glided smoothly nearly the entire time. I started getting a little chatter on the lower part of the driver blade during the last 5mins. This is LIGHT YEARS beyond anything else that has been attempted.
I only need to use normal rain-x every few months. Actually I'm almost down to once a year.

1. Back to dealer again. They blamed it on Rain X. They very aggressively removed all window treatments and in the process I feel they damaged the finish of my windshield. Installed new blades again Water now sheets off window but blades work ok. Enough that i could live with it but still not acceptable. Problem is that it's now dangerous to drive in the rain. Water just sits on window and blades don't work fast enough. Can't see *sugar*. Per Tesla, the wipers work as they were designed too. In other words, the design is terrible and this is as good as it gets. Deal with it.

I've been using rain-x for almost 20 years. It never makes the blades chatter. The blades chatter because 1. they suck 2. They leave deposits on the glass.

edit - I literally still have the same bottle of rainx I bought ~20 years ago.