Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raining inside my 2-week-old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...

What is your VIN and build date?

I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...

The leaky roof should be addressed in the next software update.

Update:

Much better communication from Tesla today. It's clearer they will fix it and I'm happy, so far, with their stated commitment to making it right.
JB, how's the car holding up now? Has the issue been fixed to your satisfaction? (Sadly, I've discovered a similar leak and just dropped my MY off at the service center today, so I'm hoping your experience has improved since this post.)

• Informative
Reactions: DennyL
At least Tesla is possibly breaking even this quarter according to Elon but at the cost of water in the cars. I think Elon needs to get serious about quality or hire someone that is. We all know he has goals but this kind of crap never stops and unless he's going to give away shares with each car he needs to get things in order fast.

JB, how's the car holding up now? Has the issue been fixed to your satisfaction? (Sadly, I've discovered a similar leak and just dropped my MY off at the service center today, so I'm hoping your experience has improved since this post.)

Vehicle is with Tesla now. They have been decent and have accelerated my case even though they're backed up right now. They seem willing to take any measure to make it right, which is good. Likely they will replace the roof glass and perhaps the windshield.

I really do love the car. Drove it all weekend. I'm not clamoring for a replacement because I don't imagine there's serious damage internally...but we'll see once the roof is off.

Manufacture date is in May. VIN 15XX.

Will provide an update once I have the car back and have driven it for a couple days, probably this weekend.

Vehicle is with Tesla now. They have been decent and have accelerated my case even though they're backed up right now. They seem willing to take any measure to make it right, which is good. Likely they will replace the roof glass and perhaps the windshield.

I really do love the car. Drove it all weekend. I'm not clamoring for a replacement because I don't imagine there's serious damage internally...but we'll see once the roof is off.

Manufacture date is in May. VIN 15XX.

Will provide an update once I have the car back and have driven it for a couple days, probably this weekend.
I'm glad to hear that! Mine is with Tesla now as well. Mine was also manufactured in May. Sounds like ours may have been first off the production line post-shutdown...not a good reason for the QC issues, but maybe newer-manufactured cars will have less wrinkles.

Update:

Tesla handled this very well. They showed empathy, understanding and treated my issue with urgency without me needing to ask for it or raise my voice. James and Dan at the Elston Chicago service center were excellent and did a great job communicating. James also, somehow, managed to get the entire windshield replaced in <24 hours, despite them being very busy. I dropped off the car yesterday and have it back now.

Technical net: got a new windshield. Issue replicated and diagnosed as poor seal at top of windshield. Have not hose-tested yet but will tomorrow.

The original error notwithstanding (it happens), Tesla's people were understanding and tried to make it right. Good on them. More later after I hose test...

Update:

Tesla handled this very well. They showed empathy, understanding and treated my issue with urgency without me needing to ask for it or raise my voice. James and Dan at the Elston Chicago service center were excellent and did a great job communicating. James also, somehow, managed to get the entire windshield replaced in <24 hours, despite them being very busy. I dropped off the car yesterday and have it back now.

Technical net: got a new windshield. Issue replicated and diagnosed as poor seal at top of windshield. Have not hose-tested yet but will tomorrow.

The original error notwithstanding (it happens), Tesla's people were understanding and tried to make it right. Good on them. More later after I hose test...
That is EXCELLENT news, JB. I am really glad that your experience with the service department was so helpful and efficient. Sounds like they're committed to making these types of errors right, which is what I'm also hoping for and expecting. Fingers crossed for your hose testing!

Reactions: kayak1
Update:

I told you they'd make it right. You sound satisfied. You also showed empathy and understanding in the face of a bad situation.