Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raining inside my 2-week-old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:

Tesla handled this very well. They showed empathy, understanding and treated my issue with urgency without me needing to ask for it or raise my voice. James and Dan at the Elston Chicago service center were excellent and did a great job communicating.
Saw this via the digest email and had to add, Dan @ Chicago-Elston is fantastic. He handled my latest MX ‘16 service appointment with the care you’d expect from a high end service company.

What is your VIN and build date?
My Model S has the same problem. I wasn't sure it was actually a leak until I drove it in the rain. I avoid driving it in the rain. It is usually a deluge here in Florida when it rains and I avoid taking it out of the garage. I finally went out and it rained hard. My drivers side roof pillar was soaked. I think this might be the reason the drivers side overhead dome light comes on intermittently. I have had it since September, but I hate taking my cars to dealers. I might have to do it now. Hope tesla can fix this for me.

My Model S has the same problem. I wasn't sure it was actually a leak until I drove it in the rain. I avoid driving it in the rain. My drivers side roof pillar was soaked. I have had it since September, but I hate taking my cars to dealers. I might have to do it now. Hope tesla can fix this for me.
So you hate taking your car to be fixed, but come to the MODEL Y forum with your first post? And Tesla does not have "dealers."

No joke, the Model Y is made on a temporary production line enclosed in a tent.
I've been hearing this "built in a tent" stuff for several years now. Check out images inside the "tent". It looks like no tent I've ever seen. This is a building, California style. They have had "temporary" school classrooms in modular bungalows now for over 20+ years (disgraceful).

But besides that - It looks like Tesla has really screwed up on quality control on the Model Y. Probably stupidly forcing workers back early has a lot to do with it.

I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...
Oh. That would be a problem. thanks

Update:

Tesla handled this very well. They showed empathy, understanding and treated my issue with urgency without me needing to ask for it or raise my voice. James and Dan at the Elston Chicago service center were excellent and did a great job communicating. James also, somehow, managed to get the entire windshield replaced in <24 hours, despite them being very busy. I dropped off the car yesterday and have it back now.

Technical net: got a new windshield. Issue replicated and diagnosed as poor seal at top of windshield. Have not hose-tested yet but will tomorrow.

The original error notwithstanding (it happens), Tesla's people were understanding and tried to make it right. Good on them. More later after I hose test...
Great news you were well taken care of.

I’m a little worried there are many MY out there with less immediately apparent issues. At least yours was so bad you caught it before it cascaded into more issues. The ticking-time-bomb that is a small, slow leak is much harder on an owner.

Reactions: kevin1
Don’t be a simpleton.

Own a few Tesla’s and become informed, and you’ll stop your fanboy act.
Simpleton? How many Teslas have you owned? I've owned three (still own the last two).

Bashers and haters have free reign to accuse those who actually have experience with Tesla as "fanbois."

My suggestion to you and other simpletons: wait for Ford's Mach-E or BMWs e-5 series. Please.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...

Mine is leaking into the cargo area. I've made a service appointment. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 93
We had the same leak in a new Y - water under pressure (hose or touchless wash) getting in at the top center of hatch. Service just adjusted the hatch to close more tightly at the top and problem solved. Apparently there's some play if the hinge bolts are loosened.

Reactions: rxlawdude

See my rainstorm in my Model Y. Rediculous