Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh, NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told "home" delivery is really to whatever address you want....(like if you'd rather they delivery to work or something)

I'm seriously thinking of giving him the address of the Raleigh service center- so if there's any minor issues not worth rejecting the car I'm already there for them to be fixed.

Plus, it's right next door to TVP where the car was going after pickup for PPF anyway.
Have it delivered to just outside your local Ford dealer lot. LOL.

So new update-

"Your Model 3 is traveling from Fremont, CA to Birmingham, AL "

That's what they told me on August 20.

Today ISA states car is....in Birmingham. Still hasn't even gotten as far as Charlotte 3.5 weeks after leaving the factory.

I also asked how the trade in part would work for a home delivery- he said "From what I understand it’s pretty difficult to coordinate the trade with a direct delivery but I will look into that for you as this is still a new process for Raleigh."

Confidence this does not instill :(

Quick update on this.

IDA got back to me tonight and says I can do the trade in, and the signing of the MVPA (so that I can get a signed copy to give the credit union to actually get them to cut Tesla a check) at the Raleigh location prior to delivery.

Which I told him is fine as long as it's no more than a few days before a scheduled delivery date, unless Tesla is planning to give me a free loaner when I drop my current car off, since I can't go some unknown amount of weeks without a car.

Waiting on reply to that.

Quick update on this.

IDA got back to me tonight and says I can do the trade in, and the signing of the MVPA (so that I can get a signed copy to give the credit union to actually get them to cut Tesla a check) at the Raleigh location prior to delivery.

Which I told him is fine as long as it's no more than a few days before a scheduled delivery date, unless Tesla is planning to give me a free loaner when I drop my current car off, since I can't go some unknown amount of weeks without a car.

Waiting on reply to that.

Curious to know what you hear about this. I've got a lease trade-in to go alongside my Model 3, but like you - there's no other car at my disposal.

Certainly not making this convenient or stress-free for us.

Curious to know what you hear about this. I've got a lease trade-in to go alongside my Model 3, but like you - there's no other car at my disposal.

Certainly not making this convenient or stress-free for us.

What I got back was no loaner- but they can try and have me come in just a day or two before delivery to do the trade in.... (I work like 15 minutes from the Raleigh store so this is pretty easy to do)

To which I said great- any idea when we can actually get a delivery date? I expect he's gone home for the day though.

I received another email from Andrew last night. He says my car is being stored in Baltimore at a logistical center. He gave me a VIN of 748XX.

Most roads to Wilmington are flooded and probably will be until the end of the week. He told me to keep him posted as he is ready to deliver as soon as I can receive. It will be next week at the earliest.

I still have a yard to clean up so I am not in a hurry to receive the car right now. Florence has temporarily put a damper on my excitement!!

Reactions: bkmartin
I have the same concerns about home delivery, particularly what to do if there is an issue with the car. I don't know if you can refuse delivery if you've already paid. I prefer inspection of the car at the sales center where any issues, however small, can be addressed before payment. My friend got his car in August did it this way. Mine is not a performance version. I wonder if that is the difference(?).

As an update, my cancelled delivery for today is now looking like it will be home delivery tomorrow. I have reservations about home delivery and what to do if things are wrong with the car (this process does not inspire confidence), but I suppose I'll be armed with my camera and just document document document anything that seems a bit off. I'll keep the group posted, but will say that Tesla as a whole has been much more responsive lately (I received a text, call and email yesterday).

• Helpful
Reactions: bkmartin
What does your contract say? I need to look at my paperwork as it comes in to see what is in writing about a home delivery. My delivery is September 26 however I anticipate it will be delayed. I have a call in to an electrician for a charger.
Skibum81, let us know how it goes! and congratulations!

The agreement is pretty limited in saying anything about anything. It just says you will take delivery at the Service Center or wherever else we agree. I assume that covers home delivery. The paperwork still is dated today but says "on or about". My online portal shows a delivery appointment tomorrow in Charlotte at 4 pm, but I know there is no expectation I have to go to Charlotte. My assumption is it's going from truck to truck between now and tomorrow afternoon.

As an update, my cancelled delivery for today is now looking like it will be home delivery tomorrow. I have reservations about home delivery and what to do if things are wrong with the car (this process does not inspire confidence), but I suppose I'll be armed with my camera and just document document document anything that seems a bit off. I'll keep the group posted, but will say that Tesla as a whole has been much more responsive lately (I received a text, call and email yesterday).

Who did you talk to about getting the new delivery date? Someone in Raleigh or your ISA?

My delivery date was last Thursday (9/13). Of course, this was cancelled due to Florence. My ISA hasn’t responded with a new date yet. I also have paid in full.

Who did you talk to about getting the new delivery date? Someone in Raleigh or your ISA?

My delivery date was last Thursday (9/13). Of course, this was cancelled due to Florence. My ISA hasn’t responded with a new date yet. I also have paid in full.

It was a combination of things. Here's a brief history of events:
- 8/27 ISA reaches out and asks me to confirm a bunch of stuff I'd already confirmed online and give a targeted delivery date of 9/27 (amazing how the quarter end ramps things up)
- 8/28 I provide the confirmation, assume everything is proceeding.
- 9/4 Email from ISA asking for an update on my confirmation, indicating he didn't receive any response.
- 9/5 and 9/6, Email ISA from 3 different email accounts (I have a last name that often triggers spam filters) in the hopes of connecting with ISA. Radio silence. Attempt calling, mailbox full and no message can be left.
- 9/10 ISA finally responds, confirming receipt. Says he'll be in touch.
- 9/11 Random phone call from other Tesla person telling me my car will be ready on 9/18 and schedules delivery.
- 9/16 Email from Mike in Raleigh cancelling delivery without explanation. Says Tesla will be in touch. I immediately respond and ask when they will process my refund (full payment made Friday 9/14).
- 9/17 In the morning, email ISA and ask what is going on. At lunch, went in person to see Mike at Sales Center. He explained delivery issues in Raleigh (not Florence related) and states that the call on 9/11 was from a woman who should not have inserted herself into my sales process. I express my dissatisfaction. He says someone will be in touch from higher up and he will personally monitor. Text in the afternoon from some Tesla number. Phone call and voicemail from another Tesla person. Late at night, ISA emails and provides 9/19 delivery estimate.

Hard to say which item prompted the quick response, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't my emails to my ISA. I found Mike to be genuinely apologetic and stuck in a bad position (he's also very ill, fwiw). I indicated that for better or worse, it had been mentioned on these boards that he was the one to talk with to get things resolved and he seemed ok with that. I think he understands and appreciates our frustration with the process.

TL;DR Mike at the Sales Office is probably your best bet.

Quick update... got my signed MVPA tonight from IDA... going to pass along to CU in the morning, hopefully get signed loan docs back to them same day.

IDA is saying trade in and delivery to be scheduled once payment is made.

So progress I suppose, looks like they really are trying to get paid this quarter :)

My VIN and delivery date were removed from my account page overnight, though it is still requesting for me to payoff my remaining balance before delivery. I have not received any phone call or email about my apparently cancelled delivery. Hopefully I will learn more today about a possible home delivery.

Heh- bank needed proof of insurance (and didn't understand why I was paying anybody without a delivery date)

So now I'm paying insurance on a car I don't have a delivery date for... and in a day or two I'll be accruing interest on a loan for a car I likely still won't have a delivery date for.

These'll suck if the car needs to be rejected for some reason.

On the bright side if the Q3 push is really a thing I ought have one Real Soon Now.

Hopefully we'll all be laughing about this in a few years when you buy your next car and it's just a well-oiled machine. Well, without much oil. Let's go for an electrically efficient machine.

I still haven't gotten any updates or replies to emails asking for status updates... so I'm just going to sit back and wait and let this busy end of quarter thing happen without stressing too much about it. As long as I get the full tax credit, I'll be happy.

Update- things are moving fast and furious now!

Sent IDA the fedex tracking for the bank check and he said he's told the Raleigh office to expect it tomorrow- he also asked I bring in my trade in before Saturday..... which is promising since I explicitly told him I was going to drop that off more than a few days before I get a delivery of something else to drive.

I now have a delivery date in my tesla.com account for this Sunday in Charlotte... But since they're not actually DOING deliveries there I expect that is either a placeholder for home delivery or for when the car actually gets TO Charlotte for transfer to some home delivery person? Waiting on IDA to clarify.

Last month we picked up a 2015 CPO S from Raleigh to replace my wife's car, and at the same time I did test drives of the P3D and X, as I was interested in replacing my 2013 S as well and wasn't sure what I wanted to replace it with, but I did want to beat the end of the referral program for lifetime supercharging.

Later that week after we got rid of my wife's previous car, I talked again to the sales advisor who mentioned they had a few new inventory Model S in the area I might be interested in, and I ended up putting a deposit down on one that was in VA on 9/4 and was told it'd be a couple weeks to get it here and detailed.

On or around 9/10, someone from the Tyson's Corner location called and said it was ready for pickup there, which was a bit confusing as every conversation I'd had to that point, and my order page on their web site, indicated I wanted to pick it up in Raleigh.

A couple days ago after leaving a voicemail with my sales advisor, he CC'd me on an email to whom I assume is my DS asking for an update, and no reply since then. Granted there was a hurricane last weekend, but I've literally got no idea where my car is or when to expect a pickup when "two weeks" has come and gone.