Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh, NC waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another "wow these people are useless" update.

So when I checked my tesla account today I noticed that 9/23 delivery in Charlotte was now a 9/22 delivery in Charlotte. Still hadn't heard from my IDA since Wednesday when I had no date and was told "home delivery only in NC" so I sent him a third email asking WTF was up (but politely)

My IDA is back in the office today apparently- and tells me

IDA said:
That’s just the calendar I have to put it on in order to get the vehicle out to you. They’re arranging the cars into loads based on Zip Codes they’re going out to. Someone will let you know before the car goes out.

Which reads to me like "I know I told you please trade in your current car by today, but I've no idea when you'll get anything from us to drive!"

Saves me a trip to Charlotte I guess.

In related "Does anyone at Tesla actually do anything" news- my account does not show FSD being added, despite the delivery dude in Raleigh promising me yesterday morning he was going to add it and I'd see an updated MVPA later in the day to sign.

Reactions: 0mpg
Sorry for the radio silence. My multiple calls per day have left me without much enthusiasm about the whole process.

Long story short, no one at Tesla has any idea what's going on about deliveries in the Carolinas and they are doing whatever they can to "deliver" them by month end.

Due to actually having to do my job, I wasn't able to call Tesla/Mike until 2 pm today. He informed me that he checked my VIN and the car had been loaded on the truck in CLT and was on its way to my house for delivery. He also said the truck had left CLT at noon.

Two minutes after I hang up with Mike, I get a call from a Louisiana number, which is my truck driver, telling me he just put my car on his truck and was leaving Charlotte now. Only then inquiring if I'd be home this evening to take delivery.

Mike has told me repeatedly that Tesla has resorted to "home delivery" of the cars even if no one is home. They will just leave the car with the keys in it and you then have to call in and they'll unlock the car remotely. I asked about what if there are issues with the car at delivery and he said you have 48 hours to return the car or 72 hours to register any damage or issues with the car. It all seems pretty loose and not at all customer focused.

I'm excited it seems like I'll get my car today, at this point as much for not having to call into Tesla every few hours as for the car itself. Fingers crossed no issues. @Ozymandius i hope you get yours today as well.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Side note: I don't know if anyone else has Andrew Hookano as their ISA, but I told Mike that he's been pretty worthless in this whole process. In this entire week where I was supposed to have delivery Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and today, I have not heard from Andrew once.

• Informative
@Skibum81
Glad to hear that you are getting yours today! I talked with Mike this morning, he was checking into my VIN. At 4:30pm, he hasn’t gotten back to me, so I assume no car for me today. Still in limbo...

Let us know how the new “Tesla Delivery Experience” works out for you. Hopefully you will be delighted with the car itself.

@Skibum81
Glad to hear that you are getting yours today! I talked with Mike this morning, he was checking into my VIN. At 4:30pm, he hasn’t gotten back to me, so I assume no car for me today. Still in limbo...

Let us know how the new “Tesla Delivery Experience” works out for you. Hopefully you will be delighted with the car itself.

It might seem like overkill, but I'd just keep calling them. They always say they will call back but they never do (which is infuriating). I called every morning this week and when they didn't return my call when they said they would, I would call back/text/whatever I could do. I was always polite, but I have no doubt ending my daily call may have helped move this process along a bit.

He also said they are delivering every day, so don't assume the weekend is lost.

• Love
I just received a call from Andrew from Las Vegas, I have an appointment to pick up my car Sunday afternoon at the Raleigh SC!

He did not say but I am pretty sure it has to do with the flooded roads in to Wilmington making it difficult for home delivery.

I am waiting for a follow up email with details.

I am sorry to hear from the others around Raleigh that are having difficulties getting their deliveries confirmed and committed.

Checked my tesla account just now... where it previously had the "please pay before delivery" with ACH link, with my owing $0.00, it now has gone backward to

"Next Steps

We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment."

But VIN is still there- and if I click on the MVPA in the bottom right it's still the one I've seen.

The optimist in me says this is how their system is handling the MVPA being re-done to add FSD finally.

The pessimist says they've screwed something up again.

YOU...make the call!

Self-update

Sure enough less than an hour later I now show as owing Tesla $3090 for FSD...which I'll ACH now so they don't use it as an excuse to not set a "real" delivery date.

So despite the ISA repeatedly insisting they can't add it after the car is built (which he agreed made no sense but still insisted was the case) it seems one ask from the delivery guy in Raleigh got it done :)

I think the MVPA update is still in process or something though because clicking on bottom-right link now gives me the "generic" MVPA without a VIN (though my VIN still shows in the account in general)

• Informative
Final update!

My sweet baby M3 is sitting in the garage after having been delivered last night right before sunset. I'm loving the car thus far even while adjusting to some of the differences from an ICE (this is my first EV).

At the end of the day, the home delivery truck driver was very nice and actually called me more than anyone else in the process to give updates (when the car was loaded, after having delivered the car before mine, when 1 mile away, upon entering my neighborhood). Given the size of the delivery truck (it's a fully enclosed semi, 6-car transporter), I ended up taking delivery up the road from my house and it became a sort of event for the neighborhood (all of whom were impressed by the M3).

A few last things to note:
- Aside from your own excitement (and perhaps your neighbors') there is very little that actually occurs at the delivery. There was no walk through, no real checklist.
- At no point did the delivery guy check my ID or actually confirm that I was who ordered the car (not an issue here, but pretty disconcerting).
- I signed one piece of paper acknowledging receipt of the car and took a picture of it with my phone as evidence.
- I had to put on the temporary tag myself. The license plate mount is in the trunk. The screws for both the front and back license plate mounts are both attached to the front mount (hopefully this saves you the 5 minutes of panic I had when they weren't attached to the back mount).
- The battery was at about half range when delivered.
- I had to figure out how to pair my phone to use as a key. It was easy, I had just expected the delivery guy to do these sorts of things.

Other tips:
- Perhaps you all know this, but standard regenerative braking causes the car to almost immediately stop when you take your foot off the gas at low speeds. This made for very awkward initial driving and I quickly set this to "Low" to better match an ICE driving experience.
- Your app will state that mobile access is disabled. You can change this setting yourself (without calling Tesla) from the screen in the car.

Anyway, lots of fun things to discover when you finally get your cars. I hope everyone gets delivery soon if you have not already and thanks for providing a sounding board for me to vent with my first world problems about this whole experience (as my friends and family quickly became frustrated with me).

@Skibum81 Congrats! I have my car fully paid for and I’m now in the waiting for the car to be delivered from Charlotte mode. My account shows a 630p delivery appointment in Charlotte today which Andrew indicated would show up as he was trying to get my car moving to me. I keep wondering if I should just bite the bullet and drive to Charlotte today.

@Skibum81 Congrats! I have my car fully paid for and I’m now in the waiting for the car to be delivered from Charlotte mode. My account shows a 630p delivery appointment in Charlotte today which Andrew indicated would show up as he was trying to get my car moving to me. I keep wondering if I should just bite the bullet and drive to Charlotte today.
Charlotte SC was ridiculously packed with cars , and still had trucks coming in . It was a logistical cluster when I was there..

Other tips:
- Perhaps you all know this, but standard regenerative braking causes the car to almost immediately stop when you take your foot off the gas at low speeds. This made for very awkward initial driving and I quickly set this to "Low" to better match an ICE driving experience.
We all know this. It's the BEST. People talk about "one pedal driving".

It's actually a safety feature -- if a deer jumps in front of you, your car can be almost stopped before you even hit the brake.

"Low" is a training wheels mode for people used to automatics, as is "Creep". Switch back to "Standard" regen as soon as possible, turn off "Creep", and get used to it -- you'll love it after a while.

If it helps, it feels like driving a standard-shift ICE car (only with none of the gear-shifting).

Reactions: jdcollins5