Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh (Non) Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were on schedule to pick up our Model 3 from the Raleigh delivery center at 1pm on Sat. Took a couple of minutes to get checked in, as this place is tiny and they were hopping with test drives. Start going through the paperwork, and I mentioned that it had already been e-mailed to us by Leigh, the delivery coordinator. And... that's when we discovered that Leigh is the coordinator for the Charlotte location - despite her signature line in her email referencing the Raleigh location. Turns out, that despite every communication that we'd received from our ISA and on our account that pick up was in Raleigh, their logistics system (Salesforce) showed Charlotte. So while we were showing up on that day's appointment list, NO ONE matched up the deliveries to the actual cars on site.

This particular weekend was the only time that worked within our schedule once we were given a delivery window, as we were sandwiched between work trips and a week long vacation we scheduled long ago. My husband had some time on Wed and called the Raleigh location in an attempt to confirm that the car was on-site/en route and that it checked out ok. He called off and on all afternoon, but no one picked up the phone. He left messages each time as well. No response, so we (wrongly) assumed everything was ok. I emailed a question to Leigh and referenced picking up the car in Raleigh. She answered my question, but didn't catch the Raleigh reference to let us know our car was not at that location.

There was a lot of scrambling by the Tesla employees, but no one was willing to offer up any suggestions. The first guy told us that it "looked like we wasted a trip". After driving 3 hours and having NO indication that the car was in another location, I politely but firmly informed him that we would be finding a solution that afternoon. (H was... less polite, but he knew he was hot - and disappointed! - and walked outside). I gave the rep 3 options that came to mind 1) get the car to Raleigh by Sun on a transport truck, 2) That I would sign whatever to have a Tesla employee drive my car to Raleigh or 3) home delivery. Next the temporary delivery manager from OH came out (apparently Raleigh doesn't have one?? as the OH guy mentioned he was flying out and a DM from MD was coming in next). I explained that we were not willing to drive to Charlotte that day, as it was an additional 3 hours (and then another 3 hours home - we are equi-distant from both locations) and we were in town to visit family as well. He was willing to work with me on all 3 of the options I laid out. No trucks were heading from CLT to Raleigh Sat or Sun, so that option was out. He looked and while other locations HAVE let a Tesla employee move vehicles between locations, there was a limit of 1.5hrs away. So... no dice there. We are now working through getting a home delivery set up once we get back from our trip. Once we left, my husband thought about asking if they'd comp a combo of gas/meal/hotel to drive to CLT that afternoon (as we would've needed to stay overnight), but I have no idea if they would have done so.

I threw out a couple of suggestions to the Raleigh office (Leigh putting that she's the CLT coordinator in her email signature, verifying that the next day's deliveries are indeed on-site, actually answering phones...) so we'll see if anything changes. In hindsight my husband should have tried calling again on Friday, but he was wiped and didn't think about it. I was stuck in an all-day meeting, and couldn't call myself. Had we known the car was in CLT before we left, it would have been a minor annoyance, but no harm no foul, and we'd have our car now. Our next plan of action is to get up with the manager in CLT and with Leigh, and make sure that they were informed of the delivery change. I will also email Dana (our ISA) to let her know what all went on, as the Raleigh location was throwing her under the bus big time. The key for us is finding the communication breakdown and getting it fixed, so that other new Tesla owners can have a great experience.

We're still excited about the car, and can't wait for it to arrive at the house! I just wanted to caution anyone that takes delivery out of Raleigh to call until you can confirm your car is truly on-site, or risk having to come back again (or drive the 3hr to CLT).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Sg911
Ask for a comp'ed annual maintenance or two. Many posters on these forums have received free maintenance after having the type of issue you described. They wasted your time, so you should get something out of it.

I have delivery on Wednesday so I drove the 40min today to see if my 3 was at the delivery center. I didn't want a call 1-hour beforehand stating the vehicle hadn't arrived. I thankfully found my VIN in the parking lot looking beautiful :).

I love Roanoke btw, spent a wonderful 4 years down the road at VT.

We were on schedule to pick up our Model 3 from the Raleigh delivery center at 1pm on Sat. Took a couple of minutes to get checked in, as this place is tiny and they were hopping with test drives. Start going through the paperwork, and I mentioned that it had already been e-mailed to us by Leigh, the delivery coordinator. And... that's when we discovered that Leigh is the coordinator for the Charlotte location - despite her signature line in her email referencing the Raleigh location. Turns out, that despite every communication that we'd received from our ISA and on our account that pick up was in Raleigh, their logistics system (Salesforce) showed Charlotte. So while we were showing up on that day's appointment list, NO ONE matched up the deliveries to the actual cars on site.

This particular weekend was the only time that worked within our schedule once we were given a delivery window, as we were sandwiched between work trips and a week long vacation we scheduled long ago. My husband had some time on Wed and called the Raleigh location in an attempt to confirm that the car was on-site/en route and that it checked out ok. He called off and on all afternoon, but no one picked up the phone. He left messages each time as well. No response, so we (wrongly) assumed everything was ok. I emailed a question to Leigh and referenced picking up the car in Raleigh. She answered my question, but didn't catch the Raleigh reference to let us know our car was not at that location.

There was a lot of scrambling by the Tesla employees, but no one was willing to offer up any suggestions. The first guy told us that it "looked like we wasted a trip". After driving 3 hours and having NO indication that the car was in another location, I politely but firmly informed him that we would be finding a solution that afternoon. (H was... less polite, but he knew he was hot - and disappointed! - and walked outside). I gave the rep 3 options that came to mind 1) get the car to Raleigh by Sun on a transport truck, 2) That I would sign whatever to have a Tesla employee drive my car to Raleigh or 3) home delivery. Next the temporary delivery manager from OH came out (apparently Raleigh doesn't have one?? as the OH guy mentioned he was flying out and a DM from MD was coming in next). I explained that we were not willing to drive to Charlotte that day, as it was an additional 3 hours (and then another 3 hours home - we are equi-distant from both locations) and we were in town to visit family as well. He was willing to work with me on all 3 of the options I laid out. No trucks were heading from CLT to Raleigh Sat or Sun, so that option was out. He looked and while other locations HAVE let a Tesla employee move vehicles between locations, there was a limit of 1.5hrs away. So... no dice there. We are now working through getting a home delivery set up once we get back from our trip. Once we left, my husband thought about asking if they'd comp a combo of gas/meal/hotel to drive to CLT that afternoon (as we would've needed to stay overnight), but I have no idea if they would have done so.

I threw out a couple of suggestions to the Raleigh office (Leigh putting that she's the CLT coordinator in her email signature, verifying that the next day's deliveries are indeed on-site, actually answering phones...) so we'll see if anything changes. In hindsight my husband should have tried calling again on Friday, but he was wiped and didn't think about it. I was stuck in an all-day meeting, and couldn't call myself. Had we known the car was in CLT before we left, it would have been a minor annoyance, but no harm no foul, and we'd have our car now. Our next plan of action is to get up with the manager in CLT and with Leigh, and make sure that they were informed of the delivery change. I will also email Dana (our ISA) to let her know what all went on, as the Raleigh location was throwing her under the bus big time. The key for us is finding the communication breakdown and getting it fixed, so that other new Tesla owners can have a great experience.

We're still excited about the car, and can't wait for it to arrive at the house! I just wanted to caution anyone that takes delivery out of Raleigh to call until you can confirm your car is truly on-site, or risk having to come back again (or drive the 3hr to CLT).
Thank you! I live in Charlotte , and appreciate the heads up on my forthcoming M3 too!

@Sg911 - in case you don't know, the CLT location does not have a sales license. So all paperwork and payment have to be done BEFORE you arrive. Not sure what your pickup date it, but Leigh sent us the paperwork on Thurs at 7pm, asking it to be Fedex-ed back to her. We did that Friday morning, but also emailed her a scanned copy. Which was a good thing because... they didn't set up the Fedex label to include Sat shipping. If we were picking up in CLT AND hadn't faxed her the paperwork, we would have been SOL.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911
@Sg911 - in case you don't know, the CLT location does not have a sales license. So all paperwork and payment have to be done BEFORE you arrive. Not sure what your pickup date it, but Leigh sent us the paperwork on Thurs at 7pm, asking it to be Fedex-ed back to her. We did that Friday morning, but also emailed her a scanned copy. Which was a good thing because... they didn't set up the Fedex label to include Sat shipping. If we were picking up in CLT AND hadn't faxed her the paperwork, we would have been SOL.
Yes I knew about the license . Thx FYI!

Sorry to hear your story! I'm down in Blacksburg. They scheduled my delivery for Charlotte, but it's already not gone to plan as Charlotte has no more room for cars, so I'm still waiting to hear back about a new date. Maybe pick up your car so mine can arrive? ;) As for the paperwork, my delivery advisor is having me mail my paperwork to Raleigh for them to complete instead of sending it to her, interestingly. Hopefully there won't be a delivery mix up!

Sorry to hear your story! I'm down in Blacksburg. They scheduled my delivery for Charlotte, but it's already not gone to plan as Charlotte has no more room for cars, so I'm still waiting to hear back about a new date. Maybe pick up your car so mine can arrive? ;) As for the paperwork, my delivery advisor is having me mail my paperwork to Raleigh for them to complete instead of sending it to her, interestingly. Hopefully there won't be a delivery mix up!

The Charlotte lot had SOOOO many Model 3 out on the lot when we stopped by yesterday.

• Love
Reactions: Sg911

So the other story we got was that there's was a 2nd storage lot in Raleigh that Tesla was renting - they could fit about 60 cars in it. Landlord sold the lot out from underneath Tesla, and now they have limited storage. There was also some delay in transport trucks not being "released" from Charlotte to Raleigh. I'm sure that's contributing to the full lots at Charlotte.

I had someone else on the board DM me from Salem today - sounds like we need to set up a NRV/RV meet up once we get our cars!

They do have a model 3 to test drive BUT only those that have reserved or configured are allowed to drive it. Otherwise you can sit in it/look around if someone else isn't currently using it.

I’m a day one online res holder waiting on the awd I ordered to get a vin and whatnot

Guess I need to hit em up- is it a p or a rwd?

I think the storage lot was the one on glen wood that had some pics posted of it a couple weeks ago- went by there maybe 2-3 weeksd ago to see some colors in person and confirm I picked the right one, probably had 30 or 40 rwd 3s and oddly one S

Not as bad as the OP experience, but last Friday got the dreaded 4:30 call from the Raleigh delivery center in advance of the scheduled 10:00 am delivery Saturday: “The car is not at the delivery center due to logistics issues”. He was not able to give me any hint as to when it would be there. This after the IDA “confirmed” that the car was in Raleigh on Wednesday. Made the $$ transfer last Thursday and then got the MVPA . I thought I was going to escape the delivery drama experienced by many others. Guess not!
I also had to reschedule the PPF & tint that was going to be done this week.
As of today still no hint on when the car will be available.
Looks like Raleigh has some issues.

@Knightshade - I'm not sure. It was pretty much on the road the entire time we were there. I just heard a sales rep telling someone on the phone that they could only make an appt to test drive the 3 if they had an order.

@jmmdownhil - sorry you also had not great luck! Brian mentioned that the transport trucks weren't getting released, Candice (or Caroline?, not sure) told us about the lost storage lot, and Scott (delivery mgr from OH) blamed this ISA and stated it was a "miscommunication"

Update on our end - we're being the squeaky wheel to make sure home delivery doesn't get delayed. Couldn't get ahold of delivery managers (or the delivery dept) at either location, and the delivery coord. (Leigh) was out sick yesterday. I emailed our ISA (Dana) to let her know we did not take delivery, and that Raleigh was insinuating that the communication was on her issue. We now have her manager also working to get up with the delivery teams and get this resolved quickly. We're both feeling a little better now that we have at least some contact from within the company that's trying to help us.

Ask for a comp'ed annual maintenance or two. Many posters on these forums have received free maintenance after having the type of issue you described. They wasted your time, so you should get something out of it.

I have delivery on Wednesday so I drove the 40min today to see if my 3 was at the delivery center. I didn't want a call 1-hour beforehand stating the vehicle hadn't arrived. I thankfully found my VIN in the parking lot looking beautiful :).

I love Roanoke btw, spent a wonderful 4 years down the road at VT.

Fellow Hokie here, graduated in 2006 and moved right up to Philly area for a job.

Enjoy delivery tomorrow! (sorry to OP for threadjacking :p)

Not as bad as the OP as been experience, but last Friday got the dreaded 4:30 call from the Raleigh delivery center in advance of the scheduled 10:00 am delivery Saturday: “The car is not at the delivery center due to logistics issues”. He was not able to give me any hint as to when it would be there. This after the IDA “confirmed” that the car was in Raleigh on Wednesday. Made the $$ transfer last Thursday and then got the MVPA . I thought I was going to escape the delivery drama experienced by many others. Guess not!
I also had to reschedule the PPF & tint that was going to be done this week.
As of today still no hint on when the car will be available.
Looks like Raleigh has some issues.
I was just told that my car is in CHARLOTTE, just like @Picaflora. Big difference is I got a call the day before to cancel the delivery, plus I live only 35 minutes from the Raleigh location. The car is being shipped to Raleigh for delivery on Aug. 21.(I don’t want to take the chance of driving 150 miles to Charlotte and having another problem).
It also took until today to get any feedback on the problem. The IDA did all the leg work, and he also has been very responsive to all of my previous questions. He told me his information showed the car in Raleigh.
The delivery/communication process needs significant improvement. The upcoming mass market buyers will have much less patience / tolerance for these types of hassles.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
@jmmdownhil - sorry it happened to you too! If we lived closer, we would have waited until the car showed up in Raleigh as well. We've been working with Justin in CLT to get our stuff situated. He had a hard time getting ahold of logistics to confirm if they could get the car on a 3rd party transport truck to us. It look us contacting the delivery manager we met in Raleigh that day to call logistics and tell them to call Justin back. It's all a complete cluster.

We finally have home delivery scheduled for Sat. I don't love it, as we'll be out of town. Tesla did allow us to name someone to accept the car on our behalf instead. Our retired neighbor will be the one accepting. He delivers BMWs and Mercedes for fun a couple times a week, so I trust him to a) not drive the car and b) be able to look it over for any visible damages. If we couldn't take the delivery Sat, it meant driving 4hrs to CLT. Sometimes I kick myself for just not making the drive last week... live and learn!

Reactions: neroden
I was also just told that the car was still in Charlotte. Original delivery was on Aug 1st but was pushed out to today Aug 9th for the same reason. Makes me wonder if the car is in a Service Center waiting on some parts !! VIN# 456xx.