Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Breaking on Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday (July 21), I was cruising along at 65 mph on Highway 5, returning home from using a Supercharger in Santa Clarita. My car decided to aggressively apply the brakes while in Autopilot, an event that was somewhat disconcerting to me and the SUV driver that was following at what should have been a safe distance. It would be nice if Tesla came up with a solution to this problem, as it occurs all-to-frequently with my car and creates fairly dangerous conditions occasionally.

Reactions: cdswm3
Yesterday (July 21), I was cruising along at 65 mph on Highway 5, returning home from using a Supercharger in Santa Clarita. My car decided to aggressively apply the brakes while in Autopilot, an event that was somewhat disconcerting to me and the SUV driver that was following at what should have been a safe distance. It would be nice if Tesla came up with a solution to this problem, as it occurs all-to-frequently with my car and creates fairly dangerous conditions occasionally.

Remember...AP is still considered Beta. What setting did you have the braking on? If it’s set to “early” the car will brake when a car is waaaaay in front of you. Also, did this occur while going under an overpass? Sometimes you can get false positives from many different things...including shade, or sunlight low in the horizon. Remember, uncle Elon doesn’t believe in lidars so cameras and a radar is all you have.