Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Dashcam Recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dashcam function keeps a rolling 60 minute set of videos in the RecentClips folder. When you hit the save button, the videos that comprise the past 10 minutes are copied to the SavedClips folder. When Sentry mode is activated, the videos that comprise the past 10 minutes are copied to the SentryClips folder.

The new viewer can only access SavedClips and SentryClips, but not RecentClips. So you cannot view the past 60 minutes' footage in the car, only anything you or Sentry mode manually saved.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
The dashcam function keeps a rolling 60 minute set of videos in the RecentClips folder. When you hit the save button, the videos that comprise the past 10 minutes are copied to the SavedClips folder. When Sentry mode is activated, the videos that comprise the past 10 minutes are copied to the SentryClips folder.

The new viewer can only access SavedClips and SentryClips, but not RecentClips. So you cannot view the past 60 minutes' footage in the car, only anything you or Sentry mode manually saved.

If that is how supposed to work, when pulling the USB drive out I would think their would be videos in the RecentClips folder, but for me there are not. Weird. And previously, I was able to view whatever without saving. I only started to save yesterday since I wasn't able to view anything all of the sudden.

If that is how supposed to work, when pulling the USB drive out I would think their would be videos in the RecentClips folder, but for me there are not. Weird. And previously, I was able to view whatever without saving. I only started to save yesterday since I wasn't able to view anything all of the sudden.
same here....I used to access those videos from my pc....now nada...zip....nothing

I hope they can fix it as well. I ha e a Raspberrypi with the Tesla dashcam and now that’s not even working even after reimagine the SD card. I tried one of my other SD cards with a usb reader and that seems to work but still not recording continuously. Only saves 10 minute clips, when I initiate a save, and sentry incidents. But no dashcam recording.

Same problem with my M3.......Glad to know it's not just me. Thought maybe it was related to the HW3 upgrade I just received a week ago. Just returned from picking up dinner and it recorded most of the trip to the restaurant but nothing on the way home. Everything looked fine had the red dot the whole time no warnings. I agree seemed to start a couple updates ago when they launched the viewer. Prior to that it always seemed to work.

Same issue for me. I spent like an hour trying different things and USB drives and formating etc.. it doesn't work anymore.

The dashcam no longer records drives when it did previously. It's showing like it's recording but nothing in the card. This is some kind of glitch

• Funny
Reactions: Wennfred
Same issue for me. I spent like an hour trying different things and USB drives and formating etc.. it doesn't work anymore.

The dashcam no longer records drives when it did previously. It's showing like it's recording but nothing in the card. This is some kind of glitch
I spent some time after the patch reformatting also, it doesn’t work, I ran DashCam tonight on my way to work, when I parked I checked the footage, nothing.

Music works fine on the other side of the SSD drive.

I think it went to shît after 2020.12.5

Fred

Wennfred - " I ran DashCam tonight on my way to work, when I parked I checked the footage, nothing."

The dashcam viewer will only record "Saved or Sentry Mode". When you checked the footage at work, regular dashcam video will not show. If you place the card in your computer the rolling video should play.

Wennfred - " I ran DashCam tonight on my way to work, when I parked I checked the footage, nothing."

The dashcam viewer will only record "Saved or Sentry Mode". When you checked the footage at work, regular dashcam video will not show. If you place the card in your computer the rolling video should play.

Good to know, will pull the card now and check.

Thanks

Sorry, that does not make sense. Should work exactly as before the update nixed it. If you get into an accident, does that mean you have to pull the storage device and plug it into a computer if you were unable or not mindful to hit the save icon? I am having the same issues as the others here. First I thought it had something to do with my recent swap to HW3, but seems more like a software bug. Are cars with HW 2.5 seeing the issue as well as HW3?

Sorry, that does not make sense. Should work exactly as before the update nixed it. If you get into an accident, does that mean you have to pull the storage device and plug it into a computer if you were unable or not mindful to hit the save icon? I am having the same issues as the others here. First I thought it had something to do with my recent swap to HW3, but seems more like a software bug. Are cars with HW 2.5 seeing the issue as well as HW3?
Yes, 2.5 HW

Fred

Sorry, that does not make sense. Should work exactly as before the update nixed it.

It does.

Before the update there was no viewer

But the recordings work the same now as then.

If you get into an accident, does that mean you have to pull the storage device and plug it into a computer if you were unable or not mindful to hit the save icon?

Yes.

Pre-viewer you'd have to do that even if you hit save since you couldn't view any footage on the car.

After the viewer you could view it if it was saved (by manual or sentry).

Nothing changed in the way dashcam works. At all.

The viewer does not show the 1 hour buffer from recent.

It only shows saved and sentry clips.

It does.

Before the update there was no viewer

But the recordings work the same now as then.

Yes.

Pre-viewer you'd have to do that even if you hit save since you couldn't view any footage on the car.

After the viewer you could view it if it was saved (by manual or sentry).

Nothing changed in the way dashcam works. At all.

The viewer does not show the 1 hour buffer from recent.

It only shows saved and sentry clips.
I am not referring to the system pre-viewer update/instal. All I know is when I got the viewer initially, it saved 10min segments and, along with files saved in Sentry folder or saved files folder, I was able to view all those files from 4 cameras. This was brief as then new software updates rolled out and the systems behavior has changed. Why else would so many here be experiencing the same sudden change and complaining about it?

Same issue here. Noticed it with 2020.12.11.1. 1TB SSD. Tried erasing and reformatting SSD. Same behavior. Will record Sentry events OK, and the last 10 minutes of Dashcam if hit save file. Must be the new behavior which is fine but the manual should be updated and/or release notes clearer. I prefer the in car viewer and I can live without continuous Dashcam but for now its manual dash cam. Sent bug report to Tesla. 2020 M3 LR AWD.