Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They may need to divert a few x's to stores so those who are delaying orders until they see t can finalize. I imagine that there are many in that bucket given the relative size of the purchase.

So diverting a few to select stores may help Tesla lock more orders and better batch production

They will need a few for the EURONCAP crash tests and American version. Probably 5 for each, front test, pole test, offset test, rollover and driver assist features such as autopilot. 8 X's to be wrecked, as long as autopilot works anyway, otherwise 10.

That would be terrible. Do you remember the fit and finish of the beta cars? If they offered us that as "here, go try" I'm pretty sure that would be quite off-putting. I have serious fit and finish issues with my P85D (driver door is mis-aligned by about 3mm - something like that would never have passed final inspection at Kia or Daewoo - Tesla tried to fix it four times and told me "nope, that's as good as it gets")... so no, that's certainly not what I hope they are doing.

It worked out just fine for Model S three years ago. It also worked out just fine for the MX reveal event.

Mark Templeton posted many pictures and videos here https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0T5nhQSTmmhhC
He was the one receiving the blue X at the Founders delivery event.

Mark Templeton -- https://www.facebook.com/mark.templeton.397
I've now had the X since Sept 29 and have enjoyed every thrilling moment. I thought I'd share photos and videos of some of the experiences I've had since Elon handed the key to my daughter and me at the Model X Launch Event.
The album is posted here:

iCloud Photo Sharing

The first question I get is "how did you get VIN3?" Truth is, I've always been "the first kid on my block..." and Tesla is no different. I've been blessed to get Roadster VIN 16 and Model S VIN 20 as well, getting an early, first-hand experience with the Tesla vision for all-electric transportation. I have to say that the cars have been consistently reliable and flawless - quite an accomplishment for early serial numbers of ANY new product!

The delivery of the X was a truly wonderful experience. Backstage, we got our new owner orientation and some time to drool over this amazing vehicle. The Tesla team was awesome - making every moment a joy before the event kicked off. We met engineers, service techs, execs and events team who answered lots of "inside baseball" questions. To my wonderful surprise, my friend of 30+ years, Mark Tebbe, was there to receive VIN5! That was one of the best moments of the evening, since we hadn't seen each other in 15 years.

Tesla gave me dealer plates so I could drive the car in California before shipping it to my home in Florida - about a week before Thanksgiving. The Tesla West Palm Beach team did a great job with the delivery. We loaded up and did a road trip to Raleigh from South Florida. The supercharger experience was great! Every Tesla owner you meet there has a fabulous set of stories to share - and great travel tips. The superchargers are well-located and I got 350 mph charging at a couple of them. I dropped in on the Tesla Raleigh team so they could touch the excitement. I also visited my alma mater - NC State College of Design - and let students check it out. Our hotel - The Umstead - is a member of the Tesla Destinations program. Universally, this car has a magnetic personality.

I have to admit that I like it better than my Model S. In the fossil fuel world, I like the Porsche zCayenne over the Panamera for the same reason - it's a sports car, a sedan, and an SUV. The multi-purpose aspect of the X is stunning. The storage space is amazing. In fact, the deep trunk allows two of the 34" rolling luggage pieces to stand side-by-side! Add the folding third row, it far exceeds SUVs of similar size. The underseat space is great - more comfortable for passengers and added space for storage. The seats are by far the best of any vehicle I've owned - design, comfort and function. And, I love how the middle row sets tilt and slide.

From a quality perspective, you'd think VIN 3 would have issues. It was likely "hand built" on the production line, and it's been almost flawless. Sometimes, the Falcon Wings pause when opening - taking a failsafe approach to avoid striking anything. I like the false-positive approach - especially as the sonar in the doors gets more sophisticated over time. As Elon said, it's FAST! Ludicrous mode makes acceleration from 30 mph just like at 0 mph! Smooth, continuous, multi-G acceleration - pure joy at the tip of your foot! wink emoticon

I've recently been through the factory and there are X's being assembled in various stages throughout. I know so many are waiting with great anticipation and some impatience. I don't blame you but feel sure you'll find it worth the wait. I remember my roadster being postponed several times, waiting 3-4 years for it. The priority being placed around quality of the product and ownership experience is second to none. That takes time and tremendous attention to detail. Tesla is amazing at that.

The deliveries are picking up some momentum from what I understand.
So, keep the faith!
Kind regards,
Mark

Last edited:
Mark Templeton posted many pictures and videos here https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0T5nhQSTmmhhC
He was the one receiving the blue X at the Founders delivery event.
Does anyone know which wood decor that is? I'm still trying to decide between the base matte obeche and figured ash. The stores don't have samples of the figured ash yet. Does anyone have pics (not from the design studio, but actual pics)? Since we're probably going black on black, I wanted a nice grainy wood for the interior accents, to liven things up a little.

Does anyone know which wood decor that is? I'm still trying to decide between the base matte obeche and figured ash. The stores don't have samples of the figured ash yet. Does anyone have pics (not from the design studio, but actual pics)? Since we're probably going black on black, I wanted a nice grainy wood for the interior accents, to liven things up a little.
According to this post at the tesla forums, it's the figured ash...

Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors

This "in the garage" picture is interesting. He looks to have an 8' ceiling in his garage, if I'm viewing it correctly. It may be a 9', but that garage door looks like a 7' door. If so, looks pretty good. I don't think those doors would be able to fully open if the garage door was still open (look at the tracks). But overall, looks like they don't intrude too much into horizontal space.

Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 2.40.08 PM.png

Looks like the figured ash
Does the figured ash have that vertical grain? Seeing pictures of obeche, it looks a little more like that to me. But whatever it is, it looks gorgeous!

Unfortunately his dealer sticker looks like it was actually a P90D Model S dealer sticker that they modified only slightly by putting "Model X" at the top. It mentions "rear facing seats" and other options that don't exist on the X!

Thanks for the post. This is great information and answers a lot of my questions.
Why couldn't TM have provided all this months ago? I'm sure it would have prevented a lot of the guessing and griping that I've read here!
Hard to say but Tesla probably doesn't feel they can provide much as it would affect the stock. The post feels like it may have been done with Tesla's encouragement.

Tesla's communication sucks! Some of the worst I've experienced.