Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sigh, I knew somebody'd call me on that :)

I dunno, it's just the subjective feel of things. Literally the feel of the car, the new seats, the crazy shininess of stuff inside (the black shiny seatbacks, never realized how different they were from Model S seatbacks). The grille-less front of the car. The size of the frunk (a disappointment to me... was hoping for more). The realization in person that this a luxury people-mover first and foremost, not a fancy stuff-mover (not gonna fit a ton of 4x8 plywood boards and boxes of other junk from Home Depot in the back because those gorgeous middle seats don't fold). Etc.

Sigh, I knew somebody'd call me on that :)

I dunno, it's just the subjective feel of things. Literally the feel of the car, the new seats, the crazy shininess of stuff inside (the black shiny seatbacks, never realized how different they were from Model S seatbacks). The grille-less front of the car. The size of the frunk (a disappointment to me... was hoping for more). The realization in person that this a luxury people-mover first and foremost, not a fancy stuff-mover (not gonna fit a ton of 4x8 plywood boards and boxes of other junk from Home Depot in the back because those gorgeous middle seats don't fold). Etc.
I'll add that it also gives you a feel for how everything is laid out, how far it is away whe you reach for it, how it feels when you touch it, etc.

Just saw this video posted, its a mule, and from the conversation appears as though a non-tesla employee is driving it. Surprised they would be opening up the car for somebody to video with all the test equipment in there:

Are those hydraulic struts on the falcon wing doors? If so, then this video must be around a year old (in light of the recent Hoerbiger lawsuit)?

Edit: Nevermind, just heard the engineer reference Ludicrous mode. So the mule isn't so old afterall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this video posted, its a mule, and from the conversation appears as though a non-tesla employee is driving it.

That is an outrageously suspicious seeming situation. I mean, the driver is talking like he bought it. He doesn't know how to pop the frunk. He most certainly doesn't seem to be a Tesla employee. Third party vendor demo, perhaps? Confusing stuff.

That is an outrageously suspicious seeming situation. I mean, the driver is talking like he bought it. He doesn't know how to pop the frunk. He most certainly doesn't seem to be a Tesla employee. Third party vendor demo, perhaps? Confusing stuff.

A couple other notes:

-They reference "Ludicrous" speed, which means this video is post July 17, 2015.

-The weather and outerwear of the guy recording suggests this is fall or early winter.

-The location does not appear to be California because they are at a Meijer location / Super Charger, which puts them in the Midwest (Most likely Ohio or Michigan - although the Meijer does not appear to be the Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids site). Since the guy recording points out the X has a California plate, they are clearly somewhere other than California.

A couple other notes:

-They reference "Ludicrous" speed, which means this video is post July 17, 2015.

-The weather and outerwear of the guy recording suggests this is fall or early winter.

-The location does not appear to be California because they are at a Meijer location / Super Charger, which puts them in the Midwest (Most likely Ohio or Michigan - although the Meijer does not appear to be the Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids site). Since the guy recording points out the X has a California plate, they are clearly somewhere other than California.

I'm 99% sure it IS the Ann Arbor location. There are a couple tell-tale signs. First, the positioning of the chargers in relation to the store and gas station are consistent with Ann Arbor. A bigger tell-tale sign though is the lack of normal Tesla Supercharger signs, and instead a simple blue and white "Electric Vehicle Charging Station" sign.

I'm 99% sure it IS the Ann Arbor location. There are a couple tell-tale signs. First, the positioning of the chargers in relation to the store and gas station are consistent with Ann Arbor. A bigger tell-tale sign though is the lack of normal Tesla Supercharger signs, and instead a simple blue and white "Electric Vehicle Charging Station" sign.

You are correct. It is the Ann Arbor Super Charger. Ann Arbor Super Charger went live August 19, 2015. That video was recorded sometime between August 19, 2015 and yesterday in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Of course, one could have read the YouTube description, "This car was used to do break testing by an independent testing company in Ann Arbor Michigan. Sorry about not being in landscape mode." Sometimes the answer(s) is right in front of your face :smile:

Last edited:
The Quote in the YouTube video says, "This car was used to do break testing by an independent testing company in Ann Arbor Michigan. Sorry about not being in landscape mode."

So that should clarify that it's not a Tesla employee and it is in Ann Arbor. But I would be extremely surprised if this video is still around this time tomorrow...

---Updated---
Okay, someone beat me to it. I guess I'm not the only smart one in this forum. ;-)

The Quote in the YouTube video says, "This car was used to do break testing by an independent testing company in Ann Arbor Michigan. Sorry about not being in landscape mode."

So that should clarify that it's not a Tesla employee and it is in Ann Arbor. But I would be extremely surprised if this video is still around this time tomorrow...

---Updated---
Okay, someone beat me to it. I guess I'm not the only smart one in this forum. ;-)

Well, I beat you to it before spending an unspecified amount of time analyzing the video and the conversation :wink:

And then as Ohhman pointed out, I finally expended the energy to click through to YouTube :smile:

Almost as a tease, this Model X is now parked next to my house in SF.

IMG_20160120_085342.jpg