Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range and abetterrouteplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still choosing between the LR and SR version. For daily use SR is plenty but for the occasional long road trip it certainly has its limitations.

I have found abetterrouteplanner quite helpful in exploring the differences between the two versions and in understanding what it is like travelling long distance in an EV (for a newcomer like me). But the reliability depends a lot on the "Reference consumption", which by default is set to 255 wh/mi at 65 mph (dry weather, no wind, no HVAC). I heard that a few found it a bit conservative.

So I am looking for real life experiences with trip planning in abetterrouteplanner. What "Reference consumption" setting gives you the most precise consumption estimates?

Thanks!

Those numbers are averages based and not very useful for this use. Abetterrouteplanner takes speed limits and elevation into account so if people plan according to their actual driving speed, the reference consumption seems a good way to get a feeling of real life range.

I think it would be very helpful to @blincoln (the creator of A Better Route Planner) if Model 3 owners would share their data with him. It's a bit more tricky on the Model 3 because it doesn't have a built-in browser, but you can do it by loading ABRP on your phone and logging in to your MyTesla account. Sharing your data will help ABRP become more accurate with its trip planning and energy consumption estimates.

Using username"outdoors" real word consumption numbers for his Fremont to Michigan trip, I had to set M3 LR consumption to 224 Wh/m to match the road trip numbers (iirc 271-281 Wh/m). Part of this is due to ABRP being configured as a 71 kWh battery.

Reference consumption depends heavily on external influences like weather, elevation and wind.

ABRP has added additional settings to account for these things. You can now leave the default reference consumption alone and adjust the settings for weather and wind. Once you calculate a route, it will show you the adjusted Wh/mile figure. If you play around with this a bit, you'll get a pretty good idea of what the car is capable of in various conditions. I recommend mocking up a few different road trips using various settings and compare the long range car to the short range car. The most important things to look at are the number of Supercharger stops and the total charging time.

I am familiar with the way it works, and it is a great way to get a glimpse of life on the road in an EV :)
I know you can adjust settings for weather conditions - but still it all depends on the reference consumption being right. Therefore I am interested in real life experiences. Does ABRP get it right if you plan using the default reference consumption or does it need to be adjusted? Assuming of course that people drive according to their speed and weather settings when planning.