Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety Boils-Down to a Tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you really mess-up badly, chances are you would run-out VERY close to your destination so, theoretically, the tow should be very short.

You point out a very good point about theory versus reality. No one's going to make a 100 miles trip with only 80 miles worth of charge and be stranded 20 miles out. If anyone runs out of charge, it will always be near their destination or at a destination where the charger's not functioning. It does add to your point that the tow-anxiety is way overblown.

Reactions: gavine
You point out a very good point about theory versus reality. No one's going to make a 100 miles trip with only 80 miles worth of charge and be stranded 20 miles out. If anyone runs out of charge, it will always be near their destination or at a destination where the charger's not functioning. It does add to your point that the tow-anxiety is way overblown.

Yet the anxiety is very real. It may be psychological, but it is quite real for many people.

Your example of 100 miles and being stranded at 80 also ignores realities such as planning for a return charge at destination, but finding that none is available or that cold weather has wrecked havoc with estimations.

I have personally been in a rather nasty situation like this, where cold weather and unexpected lack of reliable and compatible charging conspired to almost strand me two hours from home... finally a sole compatible charger saved the day after a long search. The only alternative I can see would have been a tow of two hours at that stage.

Dismissing it also ignores all the other factors that contribute, such as the lack of supporting infrastructure compared to an ICE. Given an ICE, running out of petrol, tow can often be avoided just by a walking visit to a nearby gas station or road service has some with them. It is still quite a bit of time before similar ease is available for a stranded EVs.

EVs will get there one day, of course, but chances are, running out of fuel in one is still heck of a lot more unpleasant than doing so in an ICE.

enough of this nonsense! I don't know if that is feasible in the leaf or any other EV, I certainly would never do that to my tesla.
this is a tesla forum, what you do with a leaf is irrelevant to tesla.

You are extremely hostile. Try to not be. If you have information that other say is incorrect, share it and discuss. If you don't have information, you can disagree and say that you think otherwise, but don't create information/recommendations out of thin air.

Good that you mentioned that you don't actually know.
This forum is not about your Tesla, it is about all Teslas and other EVs. And also not about your specific behavior but the behavior of all EV owners in general.

I'm talking about things as they technically are - Tesla/other EVs are vehicles with similarities. And towing allowances is one of the things that is similar.

Humans are prone to be afraid of things they do not understand. Aliens, dark, lightning, elevators, spiders, snakes, manual gearbox vehicles, ABS, lasers, high voltage, mercury, caves, planes, oral administration of dihydrogen monoxide to babies, vaccines and.. you guessed... running out of fuel while being inside a vehicle.

I would recommend to practice that fear with these, extremely dangerous steps:
Set up a timer to exactly 13 minutes. Start driving. Look at the timer every few minutes.
When it reaches zero alarm will sound. Immediately switch off your V8 engine. Switch on
your hazards and pull to the shoulder. Exit the vehicle. Go for a walk to the nearest
gas station. Buy some tortilla. Return to the vehicle. Continue your trip.
PS! You might lose some body fat due to this procedure, be careful.

Other things to try out instead of buying a tortilla - call a friend and practice rope towing.

I've rope-towed a vehicle for 200 miles for at least 3 times.

You've got it in one.

Speaking of planes and tow ropes. Many glider launches are done using another airplane (with a big engine) and a 100 foot nylon rope. I've done hundreds of these without crashing either the glider or tow plane even once.

Automatic ICEs sometimes come with a warning about towing distance because the oil pump in the transmission doesn't run if the engine isn't turning. (for greater distances remove the prop shaft (oil leaks!!) or tow with the drive wheels off the ground) Manual gearboxes and EVs don't have this problem.

Practising rope tows is a good idea. they're actually easy and safe, provided you follow comon sense guidelines - keep the rope short (so morons can't get in the space between the vehicles) and the speed low so it's not likely to get too exciting when non-power brakes are used. Drive the towing vehicle like it's a tanker loaded with nitro-glycerine.

The car makers are much more concerned to cover their own backsides than anything else, so they can only reccomend the most conservative option. This minimises opportunities for their incompetent customers to foul up.

Reactions: bhzmark and arnis
You've got it in one.

Drive the towing vehicle like it's a tanker loaded with nitro-glycerine.
I have been towed aloft only once. Never towed with all wheels on the ground. Seems sensible -- but only if you have a sensible tower. The more I think of it, the more I think I'd assign my wife to drive the towed vehicle, and me the towing vehicle. Given your advice, it might be smart to not be Missile Toad.