Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range difference of 21" tires vs. 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if a conclusion has been reached on this in other threads. Can someone tell me whether there's a definitive answer to the expected difference in actual range between the 21" tires and the 19"? Tesla says the following on their website: "21-inch wheels with low-profile performance tires reduce battery range compared to 19-inch wheels with all season tires". But they don't say by how much! Thanks

Apologies if a conclusion has been reached on this in other threads. Can someone tell me whether there's a definitive answer to the expected difference in actual range between the 21" tires and the 19"? Tesla says the following on their website: "21-inch wheels with low-profile performance tires reduce battery range compared to 19-inch wheels with all season tires". But they don't say by how much! Thanks

It depends on a lot of factors (tire pressure, tread depth differences between the two tires, alignment, road surface, etc.). The 21" with it's stickier compound will maximize any non-optimum settings or conditions. I'd allow 5% as a WAG. The 2.5% on the estimator is probably the best case.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to deduct that is is all a factor of rolling resistance? E.G. patch contact? If they say 2.5% or 5%, I would guess that would be peanuts to giving it the beans at every stopsign. I would say driving habits would be more of a factor. Having said that, wouldn't those with 21 85-Perf be more likely to drive like an M5?

Wouldn't it be reasonable to deduct that is is all a factor of rolling resistance? E.G. patch contact? If they say 2.5% or 5%, I would guess that would be peanuts to giving it the beans at every stopsign. I would say driving habits would be more of a factor. Having said that, wouldn't those with 21 85-Perf be more likely to drive like an M5?

Better than M5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))

It depends on a lot of factors (tire pressure, tread depth differences between the two tires, alignment, road surface, etc.). The 21" with it's stickier compound will maximize any non-optimum settings or conditions. I'd allow 5% as a WAG. The 2.5% on the estimator is probably the best case.
To be clear, the 21" has worse range than the 19". Higher rolling resistance -> greater energy usage/mile.

And the increased traction (which equals more friction, which is means less range) of the *tires* on the 21" wheels may be even a greater contributor to range loss. This was also stated directly to me my a Tesla Ownership Experience person.