Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range expectations X75 vs. X100 - realistically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X75 is confirmed but I can still change to X100 (at least I think) and I feel like I’m making a mistake not getting the extra range but the extra $17k is a lot especially when you’re already shelling out $100k. Thoughts?

Being in Devner with mountains, snow and cold weather, I think you’ll want the extra range of the 100D. Keep in mind that range can be reduced by 50% in winter conditions. If you take longer road trips, you’ll find that the winter range reduction can make road trips take significantly longer than you might be expecting, with some destinations being out of reach.

$17,000 is a lot of extra money, so it really depends on what you expect to do with the vehicle. My father was recently struggling with the same decision between a 75 and a 100D Model X. He’s in the Seattle area (rarely below freezing and with little snow) and almost never takes road trips, so the 75 was the best fit.

For me, I drive a lot, and often in the winter. Between Dec 22 and Jan 22, I’ll be doing 3,500 miles of driving (2,400 of that in Teslas), all of which is in the cold. A long range battery pack is one of my must-haves. Fortunately, the long range price on the Model 3 is only $9,000 and not $17,000. ;)

Reactions: FlyF4
Did the upgrade from 75 to 100 increase to $17000? I guess my order last April is so long ago...but I thought it was something like $10K.

That would make it a harder call, but I agree with Big Earl. If you are doing winter driving or taking road trips, the range is worth it. The battery is the one thing you can’t change - so get the biggest you can afford to get the most flexibility.

Congrats on the purchase by the way! You will love it!

I got the 75, according to EPA numbers it has 81% of the range of 100 due to somewhat better efficiency. Having already driven 100 000 EV miles I did not see that helping much anymore, on the long runs both cars need to charge and I can't dictate where the charging stop are. Only thing that might help is the better charging speed. For me the charging speed would be far more valuable than the larger battery, no amount of battery will ever take you all the way. I would actually be willing to pay more for the charging speed than for the extra battery...

I went for the 100 instead of the 75 purely for two reasons. Skiing trips in winter, I just want to be comfortable and not worry about range on trips that are already quite heavy on planning; and, because I want to swap flights with road trips.
I figured I can offset some of the cost of the car by flying less and using the free superchargers - I plan to keep my X for a long time 5 to 10 years so over that time I should be able to make some savings not to mention reducing my carbon footprint.

But if your intended use is more city driving and will rarely go on longer trips, the 75 should be enough. I also agree with "cantbechagned", the price difference 75 to 100 didn't seem bad given the car costs 100k (so the percentage increase is not bad at around 15%) though the thought process would have been totally different if it was a 50k car - but yes you could actually buy a new ICE for around 15k.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL
I do weekly road trip 240mi each way to Central coast.
I wanted to get MX when they first came out but the range was what stoped my purchase. I knew superchargers were available along the trip and I do change driver at one of the charging station already but having the NEED to charge in the middle of the trip(we drive at night) vs NOT NECESSARY is what made my 100D purchase a no brainer.
So 15% extra for long range battery is not bad since “long range” is a must have for my purchase.

We only drive about 30 to 50 miles a day on average, so to us, the extra 40/50 miles range was not needed. And we are in So Cal, it was in the 80's last Saturday. So far in the month we got the car, we are getting about 190 miles to 200 miles on 90% (210 displayed range). On weekends, sometime it does run low to 40/50 miles left on the car after we got home at night. It is not difficult to drive 150 miles round trip with greater LA area so spread out.

If the 100D was closer to $10K difference, we would have gone for it, but $17 + the extra sales tax seem a bit too much for us. Also what's good with free supercharge if we never use it! LOL.

Just got an X75D and the range is great. We took it from San Jose to LA and stopped once to charge. Usually we do multiple stops with my 2012 P85 but wanted to see what the smaller battery could do. We got in with 17% to spare. I'm very happy with the 75 battery and acceleration is not too far behind my P85. With new superchargers going in everywhere I think you are better off spending the $17k on a home battery or solar installation (IMO). Btw you can't make a bad decision here.

Reactions: IdaX and Big Earl
We would also like to agree with the previous posting that recommended that faster charging speed is a high priority. The superchargers work just fine for us but the onboard charging is a little slower than we would like even though we are pushing the maximum 240 V 60 A to the tesla wall charger.

For me the X75D has enough range for all the trips I do, so I couldn't see any point in the bigger battery. Actually I was still tempted by the X100D before the performance of the X75D was bumped up to be almost identical. Then it was a no-brainer for me to go for the smaller, lighter battery.

I have the 75D and on road trips, I wish I had a 100D. My frequent trips between NorCal and SoCal get a bit frustrating knowing I have to Supercharge sooner than I want, but the new Kettleman City lounge makes it more palatable!

If you can swing the financial hit, get the 100D and from what I've heard it also keeps the car value longer. Regardless, still love my 75D!

My X75 is confirmed but I can still change to X100 (at least I think) and I feel like I’m making a mistake not getting the extra range but the extra $17k is a lot especially when you’re already shelling out $100k. Thoughts?

Beyond cold, consider that ANY factor which makes a small difference in an internal combustion engine vehicle makes a huge difference in a Tesla. Why? Because an ICE wastes so much energy on engine friction and heat, factors such as snowy roads, headwinds, and uphills seem small by comparison. Teslas have so little waste that these outside factors loom large.

The biggest of these is elevation. Going to our local ski hill in LA -- 50 miles, +6000 feet -- consumes nearly double range miles going up and, thanks to regeneration, nearly zero coming back down.

So, if depending upon your ski destination, you have a 5000 - 7000 foot climb as you leave the city, expect that to cost you 40-55 range miles ... and a lot more if you face a west wind.