Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range in winter conditions and mountain driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2014 Model S85 just prior to a major cold snap and 2-day road trip from Toronto to Wisconsin with missing links in the Supercharger route. I had to drive slowly, drafting trucks and a few times without heat.

I grew accustomed to that and come summer, the car seemed to drive forever by contrast. A much improved Supercharger network has me driving with complete confidence now.

Hills seem to be less of an issue. I've driven through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and Skyline Drive in Shenandoah Park. I am always paranoid but manage to get close to the average rated range. I think the key word though is "through" the Mountains. Meaning, I end up around the starting elevation and by definition, half the drive must be downhill (regenerating). I assume power usage would be terrible driving to a destination city atop the mountains.

I recently traded for a Model X and have resigned myself to be cold for most of the winter. Ironically, after the car cabin 'heats up', the system settles into a temp much colder than I dial in. I will keep a light 'driving jacket' to even out those temperature fluctuations rather than pump up the heat and draining range.

It seems that the quickest way to remedy a cold battery, and thereby increase range and comfort, is probably to use a Supercharger if available. Regenning down a big mountain can help as well. Level 2 charging will help some, but not as much.

Driving up the mountain where we live ("on the way" to Big Bear Lake, CA), it's not uncommon to see over 1000 Wh/mile on significant sections. Then again, being accustomed to the road, I'm no slowpoke driver (though I know to respect the speed limit of 55mph).

I just got back from a trip up into the Lake Tahoe area which involves a 7000' climb over 80 miles. Driving in a gas car I had never really considered how significant that was but i was averaging 650 Wh/mile even going 45mph. Range mode on, though I did have the heat running (70) and it was 20 outside. For a moment on the steepest part of the climb I thought I wasn't going to make it! In the end it was fine but (as the math would suggest) it looks like our 75D can only go about 100 miles under that strain.

I don't know how high the OP's passes are but I hope that helps!

I'm heading to South Lake Tahoe next weekend in my MS 75D. Lots of snow in the forecast. Planning on charging at Folsom. Google says 86 miles from Folsom SC to destination. This is my first winter trip. Should I be worried? MS is be a little more efficient overall than MX, isn't it?

(Stock 19" with Goodyear All-Seasons, no sub-zero package, and I have chains just in case but am praying I don't need them.)

I'm heading to South Lake Tahoe next weekend in my MS 75D. Lots of snow in the forecast. Planning on charging at Folsom. Google says 86 miles from Folsom SC to destination. This is my first winter trip. Should I be worried? MS is be a little more efficient overall than MX, isn't it?

(Stock 19" with Goodyear All-Seasons, no sub-zero package, and I have chains just in case but am praying I don't need them.)

That sounds a lot like the drive from the Rocklin SC, and presumably the elevations are very similar, so I suspect you'll be fine with a full trip charge. PlugShare also shows some emergency plugs you could hit after that if need be.

Just an data point with my trip, X 90D over two mountain passes, 15-25F temps, for a total of 163 miles, started out at 100% full battery, and driving about ~5 mph over.
Got to the destination with 8% battery left, no surprise for me as I know how cold temps can affect range. But for your average person this might be a shocker if they didn't know this fact.

I picked up my X 90D just before christmas! Loving it so far. I've done the drive from Steamboat to Ft. Collins twice and Ft. Collins to Steamboat once (picked up in Denver and drove I-70 route one time). I'm very comfortable doing the Steamboat-FOCO leg, even think i could leave the starting charge at 90%. To steamboat is a different story. We were pretty nervous about the drive. It was super cold and at night. We kept the cabin pretty cold to help save some energy. We made it with 11% SOC. Now that we have done the drive for future trips we will try and keep the cabin a little warmer and hopefully it won't be as cold out... All data from teslalog.com

Steamboat to Fort Collins (1): 156 miles; average 525.6 Wh/mi; started with 100% SOC, made it with 30% SOC; Range Mode OFF; outside temps 15-20; climate at 70F with defroster on. Roads were snow covered and windy. Drove slightly less than speed limit because of road conditions and plow.

Steamboat to Fort Collins (2): 156 miles; average 450.6 Wh/mi; started with 100% SOC, made it with 34% SOC; Range Mode ON; outside temps 25-34; climate at 70F with defroster on. Roads were snow covered and windy.

Fort Collins to Steamboat: 160 miles; average 373.4 Wh/mi (not sure if i believe this); started with 100% SOC made it with 11% SOC; Range Mode ON; outside temps -30 - 20 (COLD!); climate at 62 with defroster on when needed (we were cold). Roads were snow covered and windy.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
FWIW: I believe the silverthorne SpC is easily accessed along that route, so if you have any sort of range anxiety you could always make a brief stop there to charge up a bit.
Last year I drove from Steamboat back to Fla. and I topped off at silverthorne before hopping on I70.

FWIW: I believe the silverthorne SpC is easily accessed along that route, so if you have any sort of range anxiety you could always make a brief stop there to charge up a bit.
Last year I drove from Steamboat back to Fla. and I topped off at silverthorne before hopping on I70.

This is a different route. 287 to 14, over Cameron pass and through Walden before joining up with US 40 just before rabit ears pass. Going via silverthorne adds significant time and distance. If I were coming from Denver it would be a different story...

Seem to be getting 40-50% off when wipers/heating/seats warmers are on. Kind of unusable on road trips in my opinion
I just had 50% off what the computer estimated on my trip from Tacoma to Leavenworth, Wa. It's unfortunate the computer is so off... Luckily I detoured to the supercharger -- I never would have made it. I thought having 215 miles for a 148 mile trip would have been more than adequate, but in the cold it's a different story. This was my first experience of range anxiety -- Tesla really needs to expand their superchargers quickly -- the general population will not put up with this inaccuracy. I don't understand why the car can't give me a accurate predication, especially with all the data Tesla is gathering.

One other tip, the in car navi system does a great job of calculating your expecting "end of trip" charge. For me it comes in around 2-3% accurate even when it's cold and I'm doing a lot of hilly rural driving. So I trust that.
came back from our first long trip, went to Vancouver
,BC from Redmond, WA and back. It was cold so I drove around 60-65, sparsely used the defroster and seat heaters, had range mode turned on, and I want to swear by the Navi's estimate of the remaining range. I am guessing it uses the 30miles average or perhaps the lifelong average to do this calculation or perhaps uses its own math.

,BC from Redmond, WA and back. It was cold so I drove around 60-65, sparsely used the defroster and seat heaters, had range mode turned on, and I want to swear by the Navi's estimate of the remaining range. I am guessing it uses the 30miles average or perhaps the lifelong average to do this calculation or perhaps uses its own math.
Driving 60-65 will really help improve range on a cold day. So will using the seat heaters more than the climate control. More detailed info here.
Cold Weather Driving

Seat heaters are essentially free. They use miniscule amounts power compared to the cabin heater. Use them liberally. Crank up the seat heaters, and lower the cabin temperature a little. You'll save a bunch of energy for driving.

Last edited:

Hi from Seattle to Redmond!

I'm not understanding your post... do you mean that the navi was very accurate, enough to swear by? Or that it was very inaccurate and made you swear? ;-)

I just put in my order for a X90D but before I confirm I wanted to check and see if anyone has data on efficiency loss while driving in the mountains in the the winter.

I live in ft Collins, CO and have family in Steamboat Springs and will be doing that drive rather frequently. It is 155 miles over two mountain passes (can also go up through Laramie to avoid Cameron pass with a total mileage of 186) .

I think the range will be plenty for summer driving (and evtripplanner seems to agree). My only concern is for when road conditions are bad, it's -10° and snowing.

Anyone have data/info on range in conditions like this? Thanks for any info
Just wanted confirm that the use of a heater, driving uphill and driving quickly will have significant effect on range.
After charging to 224 miles at a supercharger recently, I drove home in temp of -17F degrees, had the heater and seat heater on, used the defroster at times and drove at 67 mph. There was an increase of elevation of 884 feet. When I arrived, the gauge showed a decrease of 61 miles to drive 29.9 miles.

b_rad

We met at Denver SC when we both took delivery.

I had an interesting & stressful winter drive going to & from DIA the same day!

My recent trip on friday Feb 24 from Edwards, CO to Denver Intl Airport was 121 odometer miles and 135 range miles. I thought that was pretty good considering 15 - 25 degree temps.

I supercharged near airport to 208 range miles. I then drove the 8 miles to pickup wife at airport.

On the way back was stuck in typical massive bumper-bumper traffic up to the Mountains.

At the top of Eisenhower Tunnel, I had NEGATIVE 2 miles range to make it home to Edwards. I figured I had regeneration working going down from there and the Vail Pass, but was stressed.

The wind & snow was making visibility very difficult, so I kept speed down to 40-50 mph.

The good news was I got home with 20 range miles to spare. However the exact same trip in reverse had very different Range USEAGE...All in a 6 hr period.