Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss at Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am away for another week and I’ve lost some range I am concerned about while the shop does work (tinted windows, xpel front, chrome delete, interior trim vinyl). I started the day at 208 miles left and I am now at 181 miles left. I realized Sentry Mode was turned on. Could this have caused all of this range loss? I have since turned it off in the mobile app. I am running v10 and have a 2019 Standard Range. Anything else I can ask my guy to do and conserve the battery when I am gone? I saw in the Owner’s Manual that newer models automatically provide energy saving and I don’t need to have that setting changed.

I noticed my frunk hood is currently open. Not sure if that is draining the battery as well?

He will be keeping it garaged for the whole week as it’s in the 30-40’s Fahrenheit this week by me.

I know waking the car up with the mobile app isn’t good, but that didn’t cause 27 miles of range loss today. My concern is he will be working on the car all week, and three constant doors openings, closing, etc will drain the battery more. I completely forgot to leave him a charging cable too (not even sure has has charging capability).

Last edited:
As others have alluded to above, Sentry Mode will prevent deep sleep, as will checking the app frequently.

Sentry Mode is disabled when we're at home and only loses one mile of range after 14 hours if I don't disturb the car. The shop has work to do but your drain should drop significantly after-hours and overnight when the shop is closed.

Last edited:
I am away for another week and I’ve lost some range I am concerned about while the shop does work (tinted windows, xpel front, chrome delete, interior trim vinyl). I started the day at 208 miles left and I am now at 181 miles left. I realized Sentry Mode was turned on. Could this have caused all of this range loss? I have since turned it off in the mobile app. I am running v10 and have a 2019 Standard Range. Anything else I can ask my guy to do and conserve the battery when I am gone? I saw in the Owner’s Manual that newer models automatically provide energy saving and I don’t need to have that setting changed.

I noticed my frunk hood is currently open. Not sure if that is draining the battery as well?

He will be keeping it garaged for the whole week as it’s in the 30-40’s Fahrenheit this week by me.

I know waking the car up with the mobile app isn’t good, but that didn’t cause 27 miles of range loss today. My concern is he will be working on the car all week, and three constant doors openings, closing, etc will drain the battery more. I completely forgot to leave him a charging cable too (not even sure has has charging capability).

Sentry mode will indeed run your battery down quickly, or at least to 20% when it turns off.
That's why I have 2 UMCs, one stays in the car, one stays at home. The car always has access and a repair shop is going to have a 120V plug. Although they probably won't plug it in.
The car will drop to 20% and then very slowly drain from there. Just forget about it until you get back. Let it sleep when it can.

Reactions: Russell
Sentry mode will indeed run your battery down quickly, or at least to 20% when it turns off.
That's why I have 2 UMCs, one stays in the car, one stays at home. The car always has access and a repair shop is going to have a 120V plug. Although they probably won't plug it in.
The car will drop to 20% and then very slowly drain from there. Just forget about it until you get back. Let it sleep when it can.

Thanks. I turned it off in the mobile app last night and noticed it’s back on again. Do I need to disable in the car settings from
the car as well?

Yes, in the 30-40’s. I pinged the shop owner to avoid using the heater if possible, but I have a feeling Sentry was draining it today.

That’s not cold.

It won’t heat battery on it’s own until -26F or something like that.

I would have shut HVAC OFF because cabin heat might start if someone opens the doors.

But most was probably sentry.

Last edited:
It’s at the shop until Sunday. It’s at 172 miles. Now that we disabled Sentry, I think we’ll be ok. It was at 181 at the start of today but Sentry turned itself on at one point. My drive home is 15 miles.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll have enough range to get home. Most new owners (just like I did) tend to obsess about the range a tad too much. :)

Thanks. Been an owner for 3 years but first time I left my car unplugged for so long.
You're a veteran compared to me! I've been a Tesla owner for only 7 months so far. Going through my first winter now and with the temps hitting 14 Fahrenheit recently, I'm seeing a range loss of 35 - 40 % and I'm freaking out! lol My car isn't as efficient as yours, but it effectively means that if I go on a trip, I would only be able to drive about 124 miles (rated range is 243 miles at 100% charge) with about 10% left before I would need to find a Supercharger. Very surprising and disappointing that's for sure.