Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't watched these too much while in use, but it will actively heat the battery up quite a bit to precondition for Supercharging - I don't recall the exact target, but I thought it was in the 50C ballpark.
I have data from two SuC sessions, both was at 38.0 C average cell temp just before connecting to the SuC. Both was done after long highway driving before reaching the SuC.
First was at 14C and second at 27C outside temp.

Cell temps hit about 54 average during SuC for me.

My SR+ shows that I can only charge to 246 miles...the car should have 263 capacity. I noticed this last night when my app was updated....anyone else having this issue?
The app isnt always on track with the car. Do not use the app to try to find the degradation, it might end up with worse result than in the car.

I see 508km in the car if I draw the slider to 100%, but just tried the app and it showed 499km.

Hello!

I was wondering on the TeslaFi website, it shows that my estimated range is always much less than the rated range. Is this normal behavior? I always charge only to 70% and don't drive that much, just too and from work (10 miles round trip).

1631723951809.png

Thanks!

Mia.

I believe Rated range is the same number as you would see on your battery indicator in the car. That values comes from the car. It is based on the EPA calculation, roughly. There are multiple threads that explain why there is a discrepancy between that and your actual range.
I think Estimated range also comes from the car and is probably one of the values you can see if you go in the energy graph on your car. That would be the actual range remaining if you continue to drive as you have been driving recently.

I believe Rated range is the same number as you would see on your battery indicator in the car. That values comes from the car. It is based on the EPA calculation, roughly. There are multiple threads that explain why there is a discrepancy between that and your actual range.
I think Estimated range also comes from the car and is probably one of the values you can see if you go in the energy graph on your car. That would be the actual range remaining if you continue to drive as you have been driving recently.
Thanks! So it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with battery degradation?

Rated range represents the energy that the car (BMS) thinks is available in the battery using a constant for consumption. That value should go down as the battery ages / degrades. If the battery degrades, it ensues that Estimated Range should also go down since it bases that calculation on available energy and your recent consumption. For more details, you can read the previous 140 pages of this thread :)

Lol yeah I got about 40 pages deep and it got a little over my head. I basically just drive 10 miles back and forth every day, and charge overnight using the Nema 14-50 outlet with a maximum of 70% charge set. Am I doing things right preservation wise? I'm from Houston and it's pretty hot during the summer, is there anything I should be doing during the summer special to keep things nominal?

Yes there is something you should do: stop stressing about it :) This thread is for people that really want to get into the details. You don't have to. The car will do great. Just don't charge to 100% too often, don't let it discharge to 0% too often. The rest is bonus. If you want to take extra care, small regular charges is better than weekly full charges, keeping the battery in a lower range is slightly better than higher, etc. Having a 70% target and charging daily is great.
Do remember the one thing: stop stressing and enjoy the car.

Reactions: Lephturn
Unless the AC compressor is running or the ambient temperature is cooler than the pack temperature, all the coolant pumps do is equalize pack temperature when the car is just sitting there.

Now that I have had some more time to think about it .. is there really no benefit to having a coolant system when idle in high temperatures? Recently I was looking at battery storage and the Enphase battery system I was looking at explicitly voided the warranty when the ambient temp of the environment exceeded 105 degrees for greater than 5% of the warranty period. When comparing this to the Tesla Powerwall, there is no such condition (and I believe the ambient temp max is higher than 105, though I cannot find the details from the warranty doc I looked at a month or so ago). Anyway I bring this up because I was under the impression that the Powerwall has a liquid thermal system like the packs in the cars, and that gave it an advantage over the "just a battery in a box" setup of the enphase design.

Turn off cabin overheat protection and make sure your car is sleeping properly.

Once those contactors open there won’t be any thermal management happening. And they will open.

Also now that I have had time to think about this.. it seems too bad that you cannot enable an active cooling setup for the car, if you wanted to choose to use energy for this to preserve your battery (I would imagine the energy drain for this "maintenance" would not be desirable for some people so it'd be good to have a choice).

I use quite a bit of energy in this heat while my car is sitting in the parking lot at work .. it can be 10-15% over an 8 hour period. I was cool with that because I don't need the range during the week and would rather have the car taking car of the battery. But if it isn't actually doing that, seems like a lost opportunity.

Lol yeah I got about 40 pages deep and it got a little over my head. I basically just drive 10 miles back and forth every day, and charge overnight using the Nema 14-50 outlet with a maximum of 70% charge set. Am I doing things right preservation wise? I'm from Houston and it's pretty hot during the summer, is there anything I should be doing during the summer special to keep things nominal?
As already said, no problem with 70%.

If you like to keep degradation down, maybe charge to slightly less than 70% during the hot days if you don’t need the range.
55-60% maybe.

Yes there is something you should do: stop stressing about it :) This thread is for people that really want to get into the details. You don't have to. The car will do great. Just don't charge to 100% too often, don't let it discharge to 0% too often. The rest is bonus. If you want to take extra care, small regular charges is better than weekly full charges, keeping the battery in a lower range is slightly better than higher, etc. Having a 70% target and charging daily is great.
Do remember the one thing: stop stressing and enjoy the car.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense lol, I know it's a great car but I made the mistake of going too deep into these battery discussions and now I'm wondering if something is wrong :( lmao. Is it normal for my High Range mileage to be 280 after 3 years and 24k miles on my M3 LR AWD? That seems really low.

Reactions: AAKEE
1- some degradation is normal, 10% would not be crazy.
2- What the BMS shows is not precise, it's an estimate. As you can see in many threads, there are ways to help the BMS. I do that from time to time and I see my estimate go up. Then it slowly goes down in periods where I don't care... Don't worry.

it seems too bad that you cannot enable an active cooling setup for the car, if you wanted to choose to use energy for this to preserve your battery

I use quite a bit of energy in this heat while my car is sitting in the parking lot at work .. it can be 10-15% over an 8 hour period.
It’s not clear to me that cycling the battery (using it) to keep the battery cool would be helpful. Because then you are putting cycles on the battery. And that also results in aging. It depends on how the temperature effect of aging, per hour, compares to the per hour effect of draining the battery to keep it cooler.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense lol, I know it's a great car but I made the mistake of going too deep into these battery discussions and now I'm wondering if something is wrong :( lmao. Is it normal for my High Range mileage to be 280 after 3 years and 24k miles on my M3 LR AWD? That seems really low.
Is this bad efficiency to be at 80%? I gunned it a few times to merge into traffic:

View attachment 709675

Is it normal for my High Range mileage to be 280 after 3 years and 24k miles on my M3 LR AWD? That seems really low.
All looks good. Normal. Replied here to your inquiry in the 2021 thread.

It’s not clear to me that cycling the battery (using it) to keep the battery cool would be helpful. Because then you are putting cycles on the battery. And that also results in aging. It depends on how the temperature effect of aging, per hour, compares to the per hour effect of draining the battery to keep it cooler.
Good thinking.

As the battery will hold up for the warranty without problems in almost any case, theres no need to use energy to preserve the battery. I would guess the bsttery in midt cases even survive the car. Keeping it cool always would add cost, empty the battery and also cyclic aging, for more or less no gain.
I think to keep the aging low when hot weather, just use as low SOC as possible without putting yourself in a range anxiety or so.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Good thinking.

As the battery will hold up for the warranty without problems in almost any case, theres no need to use energy to preserve the battery. I would guess the bsttery in midt cases even survive the car. Keeping it cool always would add cost, empty the battery and also cyclic aging, for more or less no gain.
I think to keep the aging low when hot weather, just use as low SOC as possible without putting yourself in a range anxiety or so.
Lol just out of curiosity, what does SOC mean?

Thanks for all the help to everyone!

Reactions: AAKEE
I saw you have teslafi.
Look at Teslafi menu -> Charges -> Battery report. Theres your estimated range. You can see the average range for other teslas of the same model. If youre on the average line, your fine. If above its even better.