Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how do I check this up in the car? Btw It’s the 2021 SR+ with a WLTP of 448, and yes it used to show around 420/430 while at 100%. I charged it to a 100% this night and now it shows 368km as full
There probably is a code in the registratipn papers(at least it is inside EU),
E1CR
E1LR
E6CR
E6LR
This will tell you what battery you have.

If not found you could check the slider in the charging menu uin the car.
If you have a clear mark at 90% which say ””daily” below 90% and ”trip” above its a NCA battery.
If there is no 90% mark (daily/trip) it should be a LFP battery.

The WLTP 448km Points to having the newer Panasonic battery( = E1LR).

How do you charge normally? To what SOC level? Daily?

Sometimes the BMS loose the track a little of the battery capacity, this could make the range look shorter than it really is.
(Search the thread ”how I restored half of my lost range” for info about ”calibration of the BMS”).

If you use high SOC daily and let the car stand most of the time with high SOC, you should be prepared to loose 5-6% the first year and have a total loss of 10-12% or so after four years.

Heres teslaloggers data for SR+ 2021, probably the same battery as you have.
Note that the car never show the WLTP range. It is set to show the US Equivalent EPA Range. So 420km is the starting point.

You should probably be at around 400km or so. We can guess that you should perform a BMS calibration. Your real range is probably not as low as 368km
6F17604E-A8BA-4197-80DA-8D6B58613437.jpeg

My September 2018 built Model 3 Stealth P gets to 286 on 100% charge. I have 26,000 miles on it. Range loss happened around a year ago. Debating whether to have Tesla do check.
Just bought 2020 Model 3 Performance with 18000 miles 2 days ago. Only gets 260 miles at 100%. Scheduled a service appointment with Tesla and they cancelled it. A guy called and said they checked it and nothing is wrong with the battery and it doesn’t qualify for the warranty replacement and proceeded to say everything about driving habits and everything else you read on these things. 55 miles lost in 18000 miles doesn’t seem right to me. That’s roughly 17%

That is pretty bad. The good news is that you really are not far from a battery replacement. You only have to wait 3 more months at this rate!

There are a couple examples of people who have had really bad degradation like this, and they get a message that their battery won’t take a charge, at some point.

I am not sure why people want to know your lifetime Wh/mi. But I guess it would be a datapoint, to see how aggressively the battery was used. Not sure why that would matter though.

How many miles on the car?
I just bought a 2020 Model 3 Performance 2 days ago with 18000 miles. It only gets 260 miles at 100% I scheduled a service appointment and they canceled it. A guy called and told me all the things you see on the internet, and there’s nothing wrong with it. That’s roughly 17% loss in 18000 miles. That’s crazy.

A guy called and said they checked it and nothing is wrong with the battery and it doesn’t qualify for the warranty replacement and proceeded to say everything about driving habits and everything else you read on these things. 55 miles lost in 18000 miles doesn’t seem right to me. That’s roughly 17%
The warranty is that degradation will be less than 30%, which it is... So it's all good as far as the warranty is concerned.

Hi, I have read about people losing range over time in their model 3s. In most cases its about 10-20 miles. For me the story is a bit different, right now at 100% charge I get about 267 miles. That's over 40 miles that I have lost. It has been happening slowly over time, I have had the car for about 6 months, and almost every week the range reading at 90% dropps with 1 or 2 miles. So it seems that it is steadly going down, but sadly it doesn't stop. I have contacted Tesla and been to the Sc several times and they keep telling me every single time that it's because of driving style and that the range reading adapts to my driving, this is not true as you probably know.

I have tried several times 100%-0%-100%, nothing helps. Tesla did actually do a diagnostics but found nothing, and they do not wanna help me anymore because they don't see this as a problem. Anyone experience THIS much range loss?

I have a LR AWD
I bought a 2020 3P with 18000 miles 2 days ago. Only gets 260 miles at 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 2020 Model 3 Performance 2 days ago with 18000 miles. It only gets 260 miles at 100% I scheduled a service appointment and they canceled it. A guy called and told me all the things you see on the internet, and there’s nothing wrong with it. That’s roughly 17% loss in 18000 miles. That’s crazy.
I'd get that statement in writing. Then, drive the hell out of it, "no problem going to zero or beyond" per Elon.

You are halfway to getting a new pack with that kind of degradation.

No it’s not, it’s closer to 13% (started at 299 not 322). And this is perfectly normal after a couple years. Especially considering secondhand cars are probably showing more capacity loss due to selection effects (people are less likely to sell a car with minimal capacity loss, since they are slightly more valuable, yet this is usually not reflected in the selling price, due to asymmetric knowledge with the buyer).

If you want to feel better switch to 18” wheels in the GUI, and you’ll be at 280 miles at 100%. Won’t change anything though. This “one simple trick” only works with 2020 Performance Model 3.

Just bought 2020 Model 3 Performance with 18000 miles 2 days ago. Only gets 260 miles at 100%. Scheduled a service appointment with Tesla and they cancelled it. A guy called and said they checked it and nothing is wrong with the battery and it doesn’t qualify for the warranty replacement and proceeded to say everything about driving habits and everything else you read on these things. 55 miles lost in 18000 miles doesn’t seem right to me. That’s roughly 17%
260/299 = 87%.

You did not buy a car that started with 315 miles of range. That would be 2021 Performance Model 3s! Big difference.

Have to know what you bought. Those extra 3kWh in the 2021 actually do matter.

I’m “surprised” Tesla didn’t clear that up for you when you talked with them. Lol.

Anyway all perfectly normal for a car that is 2 years old. Age is a huge, dominant factor for low mileage vehicles.

Last edited:
Just bought 2020 Model 3 Performance with 18000 miles 2 days ago.

Have to know what you bought. Those extra 3kWh in the 2021 actually do matter.
And you also didn’t get a heat pump. Sad.

2021 Performance arguably far preferable to the 2020, though allegedly the heat pump could cause some performance problems in cold temps initially (likely largely addressed by software now).

I bought a 2020 3P with 18000 miles 2 days ago. Only gets 260 miles at 100%.
260/299 = 87%.
Anyway all perfectly normal for a car that is 2 years old. Age is a huge, dominant factor for low mileage vehicles.

Alan is right!

I add a little:

The absolute main source of degradation is calendar aging. Calendar aging will consume some 3 % to more than 10% the first year. Climate(ambient temps) and the charging level(SOC) defines the rate of degradation.

Cyclic aging for the average driver will be below 1% per year.

There is a common misconception about only looking at the miles driven. As “miles” account for roughly 1/10 of the degradation it is not a valid base to judge degradation.

Texas is a hot climate, and having the car standing with high SOC most of tge time will perhaps cause a degradation of 7-9% after the first year.

Calendar aging reduces with time, so if a car did hit 9% the first year, it probably is at about 9 x square root of 2 after two years( = 13%). After four years 18% and after 16 years 36%. The 70% capacity will happen after about 11 years.
Calcs’ above is per principle so not exact to the day but probably not very far from reality.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The warranty assures 70% over 8 years, so in theory it could drop up to 30% in any time period and not be a warranty issue. You'd think there would be some reasoning in there, but when you consider our education system judges ability by offering a definitively correct answer out of a possible 4 or 5, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that our young adults can't make judgement calls or risk being wrong.

Hello. I am getting a preowned model 3 long range 2021 and I have a quick question for 2021 m3 Lr owners. The EPA is at 350 on fuel economy. But when you guys received your vehicle, did it actually say 350 is the most mileage your car could hold in the battery/charging menu? I know it can be far from accurate in real life usage but I would like to know because I will have a “brief” time with the car and that will help me gauge the degradation IMO. This is with the 18” wheels on them in mind. Please let me know if you don’t mind! Thank you

Hello. I am getting a preowned model 3 long range 2021 and I have a quick question for 2021 m3 Lr owners. The EPA is at 350 on fuel economy. But when you guys received your vehicle, did it actually say 350 is the most mileage your car could hold in the battery/charging menu? I know it can be far from accurate in real life usage but I would like to know because I will have a “brief” time with the car and that will help me gauge the degradation IMO. This is with the 18” wheels on them in mind. Please let me know if you don’t mind! Thank you

Use this process to calculate degradation on the battery.

At 100% SOC for a new 2021 model 3 long range, what is your max mileage capacity? I need to know for a future purchase for a preowned one to see if it’s a good deal. I know it’s not accurate to real life but If anyone could let me know! I heard the epa is 350 but I’m wondering if that’s actually true or is it actually 320-330?…

I've only charged my M3LR to 100% twice, but it showed right at or near the EPA range for it both times...just above 350 miles. This was when the car had around 8k miles on it.

Recommend you read the sticky about how to estimate battery capacity.

Reactions: Tesoso