Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V10 is rumored to have increased the buffer (removed ~3kW which is about 15mi/21kms off the top end of the battery) to prevent major damage. Especially in colder months. Lets see what happens in the spring :3

If it's specifically for cold weather they would have to increase the buffer at the bottom not the top. Having the battery empty when cold is worse, and leaving the battery full when hot is worse. Of course this might match what I've seen, as my drop in range started in June 2019 (9% by end of July/beginning of August) and is slowly getting better as temps go down (5.5% now).

Also with the Scan my tesla app, I can see that my buffer at the bottom is 3kwh which I believe was always the case? But my estimated total kwh has gone down to 72.1kwh whereas the original I think is supposed to be 76kwh (even though the battery is supposed to be 75kwh).

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
Wow, so I guess it's not only me... Many of you are experiencing same as me..

Well, I have been charging to 75% last few days, extended my driving, and got the battery to go below 50% during my commute. This morning, my 75% charge range is even lowered at 220 miles now... Very discouraging..

If it's specifically for cold weather they would have to increase the buffer at the bottom not the top. Having the battery empty when cold is worse, and leaving the battery full when hot is worse. Of course this might match what I've seen, as my drop in range started in June 2019 (9% by end of July/beginning of August) and is slowly getting better as temps go down (5.5% now).

Also with the Scan my tesla app, I can see that my buffer at the bottom is 3kwh which I believe was always the case? But my estimated total kwh has gone down to 72.1kwh whereas the original I think is supposed to be 76kwh (even though the battery is supposed to be 75kwh).

Maybe seasonal. The battery needs more reserve juice to warm it up especially when low. This process wouldn't be possible if the battery is very low to start. Have an extra 3kW reserve for this process while still preserving some kms to reach an SuC could be the plan here. I'm sure there are use cases where people are running their battery down to 0mi/km often enough to warrant this software fix.

Maybe seasonal. The battery needs more reserve juice to warm it up especially when low. This process wouldn't be possible if the battery is very low to start. Have an extra 3kW reserve for this process while still preserving some kms to reach an SuC could be the plan here. I'm sure there are use cases where people are running their battery down to 0mi/km often enough to warrant this software fix.

That makes sense. I see the car locking 50km or more range when very cold (snowflake icon, blue portion of battery). It even warns you depending on if you're below 100km range (range may drop if temperature drops) or 50km range (car will drain while idle) when parking. I'll keep an eye on the buffer/reserve. And see if it shifts the other way as temperature goes down.

LR RWD 26k just chagrged to full for the first time ever. 287 miles....
Not happy

LR RWD, almost 18k miles. Full charge 290 miles...... 240 kwh/m avg so i drive pretty efficiently. Also not happy.

Capture.png

I posted this on another thread, but I think it fits here also.

One thing to keep in mind. A battery that is truly degraded will never regain that energy.

People continually say they see the mileage go down and go back up. Degradation would not go back up. What most people attribute as degradation is actually just calibration issues.

I am not saying there is not degradation, every battery degrades over time. But most of the posts do not seem to be true battery degradation issues.

Reactions: PACEMD
I posted this on another thread, but I think it fits here also.

One thing to keep in mind. A battery that is truly degraded will never regain that energy.

People continually say they see the mileage go down and go back up. Degradation would not go back up. What most people attribute as degradation is actually just calibration issues.

I am not saying there is not degradation, every battery degrades over time. But most of the posts do not seem to be true battery degradation issues.

I surely hope you are right, as my car is only few months old.. It's just seeing the approximate range keep dropping day by day is quite discouraging..

Quite true - but my focus here is a strong degradation. Range that just disappears. Besides that I also have 10+ cars to compare it to (exact same specs but later batch) and my car is CLEARLY doing much less well. The other cars charge further (455km at 90% as mentioned in this thread somewhere - mine never went above 449, so different at least) and don't have magically disappearing kilometers. They are also much closer to the actual consumption in range albeit I can't mention the wh/km off the top of my head. I will compare those soon.

I understand your point however I have always found it fascinating and interesting to monitor the consumption of my cars. Especially my previous car (a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid) as it 'gamified' the whole driving experience. However - I must say that that car and my previous cars (mostly VW, Seat. All german anyway) were very consistent and the weather had a very predictable effect on mpg. Would they have suddenly changed I CERTAINLY would have visited the dealership... I understand that I don't expect to always reach the rated range (the rated range also rarely being achieved in my ICE cars) - but this is a different proportion all together. Also - I don't understand how close to 90% of used battery equates to 51 or 52kWh's of consumed energy. I would expect that to be much closer to 65kWh.

Oh trust me; my car is a total lemon. I just never feared Tesla would leave me out in the cold like this. SO many phonecalls and promises without ANY result what so ever. From terrible paintwork (and delivery with damage) to a faulty indicator stalk, erratic camera and safety feature behaviour, creaks and cracking sounds in the interior, audio 'popping' in and out, Driver side powered window that sometimes drops down when trying to close it, a hard-to-close trunk sometimes, crunching sounds when autopilot brakes (as in traffic jam stopping), autopilot that fails to change lane without any traffic being remotely near, the list just goes on and on..... (oh and as a bonus 1,5 weeks without any FSD features because Tesla suddenly decided 'I hadn't bought them' #facepalm). Nope - it's really quite pathetic and how ever much I loved Tesla and all Elon's ventures and (still do) want them to succeed - I am now outspoken to all and anyone when it comes down to my Tesla experience..... "it's a gamble man - just be prepared for sh*t"....
Look I love my Model 3, best car I've ever owned but I'm very sorry to hear the bad experience with your Tesla. It does sound like you have a lemon and lemons can happen with every brand of vehicle.
Years ago I owned an Acura (Honda) Legend LS, which at that time was their top of the line car, but well, what a POS that turned out to be! My Legend LS constantly had problems and it was one of the worst and most frustrating cars I've ever owned. Guess a lemon is a lemon no matter how high end the car. Despite that sorry experience with the brand other Honda's that I owned turned out to be incredibly reliable cars.
Unfortunately however the difference with the Tesla brand is that it seems their service is not yet really up to par with other premium brands. Hopefully down the road Tesla service will figure out how to do better but for now that's of no help to you. Life is short friend and if I was in your shoes I'd dump that lemon and buy some other brand because you're only more likely to sour with Tesla as time goes on. And this is an opinion that's coming from a diehard Tesla fanboy!

I haven’t left the car (or even put it into park) since taking that photo, and here are my most recent numbers. I’ve traveled exactly 30 miles, which has allowed me to use the average consumption over 30 miles to get my numbers. I’ve consumed 189k (.904% of the .209 constant) and used 14% of my battery in order to do so. If you multiply by 1.1 to get back to the constant, I’ve used 15% of battery at the constant in order to travel exactly 30 miles. There’s still a ~10 inefficiency there somewhere that didn’t exist until the day I was downgraded from SR+ to SR (per the TeslaFi battery screenshot above)

Still not quite enough to say. You should switch to km or miles (km better because it has a bit better resolution), and record km used and your km traveled and Wh/mi.

Your data says 30 miles @ 189Wh/mi used 14%. But maybe due to rounding that translates to really close to 13%?

30mi*189Wh/mi/ 209Wh/rmi / 0.13 = 208.7rmi.

Which would be close to your full 100%. But there is too much rounding error to know whether there is missing kWh somehow. Hence, measure how many km of range (or miles of range) you use. Instead of %.

It’s really important to gather as accurate data as possible to know if there is an issue.

My guess is still that everything is normal.

on the model 3, the miles rated on the battery bar have no relationship to the cars actual Wh/M. It's an optimal estimate. On model s, you have the option to display "Ideal" vs "Rated"... on the model 3, we only have "ideal", which should always show the Tesla Rated Ideal range based on ~240 Wh/M. So when it shows less then 310, it's actual degradation.
Mine has gone down from 310 to 299 after 7,500 miles. Sudden dips after two of the software updates.
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 7.46.16 AM.png

Went to 524 once after the update and now hovering around 500km estimated at 100%. Just under 5% degradation after one year if we go with the latest charge estimate of 501.06 :)

View attachment 430211
What app are you using to get this data? At 90% charge and when i'm driving, i only get about 300KM range. I'm starting to wonder if I have battery issues or degradation that is not normal. thoughts?