Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tha average is close to 20C ( 21…) for those 9 months, and the first three should
not be slightly colder so I guess 20C is a decent estimate.
I had 10.X degrees average during the first year but I live very very far north.
It will need some colder than average climate to average much below 20C.

This means that the calc is probably valid/probable as is.
Sweden 🥶

Reactions: AAKEE
45% for a big part of the night is good!
I guess that also means slightly below 70% in the middle of the day.
But perhaps 90% a lot on the weekends?

Surprisingly good but maybe actually it still fits your model. Seems like you could assume 25% of time at 67.5%, 15% at 90% (1 day), 25% of time at 45%, and 35% uncategorized (would just call 70% as an estimate).

My guess is that the BMS is a bit off ?
Not really sure. The vehicle is holding up really well for a daily driver that accumulates 3k miles a month. I figure my general vehicle warranty will end in about 6 months which is 18 months after purchase. The battery and drive motor warranty will be up in another two years after I roll over 120k miles. As long as I can keep home charging and making the 105mi round trip to work, I am happy. Maybe keep it 10yrs and see if I can reach 400k miles.

hello all,

I am wondering what is the most accurate way to check health and degradation of model 3 battery? thanks

This Thread which is stickied at the top of this subforum:

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 10.10.38 AM.png

I've noticed that the full charge range predicted hasn't changed much but my actual range is starting to decrease a lot over the last 3 years. 2019 Model 3 AWD. We make the same drive a few times a year. Today, a drive from Vancouver to Bremerton, 165 miles, started with 95% charge with 275 miles range, mild temps today, finished with only 30 miles of range left. Not driving fast, speed limit is 70. 2 years ago we made the same trip (several times) and we'd have 100 miles+ of range left, more accurate to the prediction. I kind of think the Tesla range calculation is hiding battery degradation. The last year or so have been the same kind of dip in actual vs predicted gradually. Anyone else experience this?

I kind of think the Tesla range calculation is hiding battery degradation.
No, that is definitely not it. Probably just due to changing conditions and capacity loss. (Though the range calculator did hide the first 2% of loss on your vehicle.)

When you say your full range “hasn’t changed much,” that also has to be quantified. You should have started with around 310. Now you are at 290. Did you charge to 100% on prior trips? That would make a 35-mile difference, 310 vs 275.

That plus wet roads, a bit of breeze, a little heating of the cabin, air temp, etc. -many factors can make a big difference.

Reactions: AAKEE
I kind of think the Tesla range calculation is hiding battery degradation. The last year or so have been the same kind of dip in actual vs predicted gradually.

+1 on all things AlanSubie says.

A add on, or two:

The On sceeen range at the battery symbol is not a range prediction. Its a measure of energy content.
This means if you used 200miles on a trip regardless of the range driven, the energy used is ”200 miles of energy”. Using 210 miles the next time means you had 5% higher consumption (due to any reason).

To compare, start using the trips function to see the actual energy used (kWh used last drive or kWh used since last charge if you stop during the trip).
The on screen miles tell the same thing, but I think it might be easier to understand if the energy unit is kWh.

The BMS might have a faulty estimation of the battery capacity. This might offset the percent used during a trip.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes, I just rolled with this loose terminology, but figured the on-screen “range” is what he was referring to, given the context.
:)

Yup, I think one of the most common misconceptions is that that is a range estimating thing. Hard discussions on the swedish Tesla facebook site every week, with a lot of people that fight hard to prove it is a range estimator.

:)

Yup, I think one of the most common misconceptions is that that is a range estimating thing. Hard discussions on the swedish Tesla facebook site every week, with a lot of people that fight hard to prove it is a range estimator.
Yes...it’s strange...we have all the energy graphs which update the estimated range every nanosecond...yet people are fixated on the battery icon..

(moderator note)

I have decided I will no longer be merging new posts on the topic of battery degradation, etc into this thread. I will not lock this thread, but will let the posts on this topic stand alone in this subforum if they are posted in separate threads, and members can, or can not answer them.

This means that the model 3 battery and charging subforum will be more aligned with the other vehicle battery and charging subforums, with multiple separate threads on this topic, and this particular thread will fall or rise as people post in it, just like other threads.
(moderator note)

I am surfacing this back up, because I want to hold myself accountable here. I have fallen back into merging "whats wrong with my battery, I can only go X distance instead of 310"? or "Not getting my RANGE!!!" posts back into this thread, even though I decided previously I wouldnt do that.

On a non moderation level, I will admit to being frustrated when I see another 1-2 sentence post complaining about what has basically been discussed in this thread for 3 years now, so I have an urge to put them all in one place. I try very hard to not let my personal feelings impact moderation here, as they are separate things. I will not say I always succeed at that, but I do try very hard to keep them separate.

So, I am re surfacing this up to hold myself accountable for merging posts back into this thread when I said I was not going to do it any longer (and they would stand alone), as I decided back then that it would be the "right thing to do" from a moderation perspective, but I havent been following that the way I want to. Public accountability, as it were.

In any case, I am re pledging myself to not merge "what about the battery!" posts into this thread and let them stand alone in the model 3 battery and charging subforum, where people can reply (or not) as they see fit. That doesnt mean I wont reply to a thread and point someone to this thread, but I want to "not" merge them all in here going forward.

(moderator note)

I am surfacing this back up, because I want to hold myself accountable here. I have fallen back into merging "whats wrong with my battery, I can only go X distance instead of 310"? or "Not getting my RANGE!!!" posts back into this thread, even though I decided previously I wouldnt do that.

On a non moderation level, I will admit to being frustrated when I see another 1-2 sentence post complaining about what has basically been discussed in this thread for 3 years now, so I have an urge to put them all in one place. I try very hard to not let my personal feelings impact moderation here, as they are separate things. I will not say I always succeed at that, but I do try very hard to keep them separate.

So, I am re surfacing this up to hold myself accountable for merging posts back into this thread when I said I was not going to do it any longer (and they would stand alone), as I decided back then that it would be the "right thing to do" from a moderation perspective, but I havent been following that the way I want to. Public accountability, as it were.

In any case, I am re pledging myself to not merge "what about the battery!" posts into this thread and let them stand alone in the model 3 battery and charging subforum, where people can reply (or not) as they see fit. That doesnt mean I wont reply to a thread and point someone to this thread, but I want to "not" merge them all in here going forward.
You shouldn't get into soul searching over this problem, surely it is NEVER going to go away :cool: It seems to be one of the most asked about topics regards any EV as far as I can see. There are always new users. Is it possible to try and write a "sticky post" about this like @AlanSubie4Life 's contribution. I'd be happy to help/contribute write it subject to the advice from the obvious peer reviewers. Note, I won't cry if you want somebody else instead.

Reactions: Dave EV
You shouldn't get into soul searching over this problem, surely it is NEVER going to go away :cool: It seems to be one of the most asked about topics regards any EV as far as I can see. There are always new users. Is it possible to try and write a "sticky post" about this like @AlanSubie4Life 's contribution. I'd be happy to help/contribute write it subject to the advice from the obvious peer reviewers. Note, I won't cry if you want somebody else instead.

Its actually more that I really dislike how almost no one will search or even look at a sticky thread on a topic that would have to be popular on a site like this (my range on my ev is wrong!!!!) and how there are at least 1-2 new posts on this topic a day from people starting new threads on it, so it completely overwhelms the forum its in, with the same 2 sentence question:

"Hi, I just got my tesla (insert date between a couple of days ago and a couple of months ago). I never get (insert max rated range). I always get (insert max rated range minus somewhere between 75-100). I contacted tesla and they tell me its normal. Its not normal, right? Tesla will do nothing, my car is broken isnt it???????"

I hit submit on the above post before I was done, as I needed to go to a meeting. Ill continue my thought here. So, I am totally open to someone(s), working together to make a thread I could sticky, but I dont think it will make a ton of difference other than for people to direct others to it.

People dont want to read this thread because of its size (I get that). This thread is way (way way) too big to be "read" but its not too big to be searched as a thread. There are some great explanations in here on what actually is going on, and a few members have taken the time to really try to explain to new users what actually is happening, with charts and graphs, and some technical explanations about constants, and buffers, etc.

It all boils down to "No, your car isnt broken, and yes, its normal, and yes EPA range is somewhat unrealistic, and No, you are not going to charge your car once every 3 weeks because you drive 15 miles a day."

But even typing that in every thread that pops up, with the inevitable next question which is either "Why?", and / or lashing out in anger over "I was misled!" is asking a lot of regulars who might be inclined to answer the question (and as I mentioned, it tends to overwhelm the forum, with a lot of threads on the same topic that end up having 4-6 responses unless they are crafted as troll posts to get a rise out of people, like " Range on my tesla sucks! (insert 2 sentence rant)".

So, thats a lot of the reason I put everything in this thread on this topic, but as I mentioned I decided I wasnt going to do that anymore, and let those posts do what they are going to do.