Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Highland use LG NMC/NMCA.
These packs has been used by 3/Y in EU for a couple of years now.

They are good but not a huge difference to the earlier types. Slightly lower degradation than before, on the other hand the ”before” and 10% after 200K mi was not really true.
The data shows that the best average is ~5.5 % loss after ~ two years.
Thats ~ 4% after two years which point at 12.5% after 10 years. Not 5-6%…

S/X use the same brand and tech/chemistry as before (Panna 18650 NCA), and they follow about the same degradation profile as before or at least quite close.

Where’s the 5-6% after 10 years packs?

The Highland use LG NMC/NMCA.
These packs has been used by 3/Y in EU for a couple of years now.

They are good but not a huge difference to the earlier types. Slightly lower degradation than before, on the other hand the ”before” and 10% after 200K mi was not really true.
The data shows that the best average is ~5.5 % loss after ~ two years.
Thats ~ 4% after two years which point at 12.5% after 10 years. Not 5-6%…

S/X use the same brand and tech/chemistry as before (Panna 18650 NCA), and they follow about the same degradation profile as before or at least quite close.

Where’s the 5-6% after 10 years packs?
They said that virtually the whole car is made in the USA...so, do they have the Panasonic batteries ?

Reactions: AAKEE
They said that virtually the whole car is made in the USA...so, do they have the Panasonic batteries ?
They where about to start producing LG cells in US.

Also, the capacity matches the LG spit on, seen in the EPA test.

I did not watch the youtube vid, was it the Performance or regular?
The Performance would better have the panasonic as the Lg pack can not deliver very much power.
If it is the Panna 82.1 pack, it mostly looses 10% after only a few years.

Anyway, its not very likely that batteries that has had a rather fixed degradation rate from calendar aging for ~ 10 years suddenly reduces this by 2/3 overnight.
I do not believe that it will go that fast on the old chemistries.
We can wait and see when solid state arrives, but in this case we only need to wait 1-2 years until we see 5-6% loss and can call this bullshit. ;)

I am now at 6 years and down 6% after 124,000 miles.
1711884331480.jpeg

Just found this video where the Chief Engineer of Tesla claimed that their latest nickle-based batteries lose only 5%-6% of capacity after 10 years:

Let’s get back to this video.....they said the Highland has newly designed tires....and they make the car go further...so, does anyone know what these tires are called ?....and would they give my older Model 3LR a longer range ?

Let’s get back to this video.....they said the Highland has newly designed tires....and they make the car go further...so, does anyone know what these tires are called ?....and would they give my older Model 3LR a longer range ?
Hankook ion Evo;

IMG_8182.jpeg

The 18” at 6.21 kg/ton is qualified for the A, but just barely below (<6.5kg/ton).
E-primacy is around 5.6 or so.

At 2 ton this difference causes a difference of ~ 5Wh per mile.

No of the low RR tyres perform very well in the broad range of tests, so they are good to give range but handles worse.

Reactions: Bouba
Hankook ion Evo;

View attachment 1033914
The 18” at 6.21 kg/ton is qualified for the A, but just barely below (<6.5kg/ton).
E-primacy is around 5.6 or so.

At 2 ton this difference causes a difference of ~ 5Wh per mile.

No of the low RR tyres perform very well in the broad range of tests, so they are good to give range but handles worse.
That’s an improvement of 2.25%....not bad...but I would not want a tire that handles badly....the video also said the new wheels also help range, but that’s a step too far

Reactions: AAKEE
Hankook ion Evo
What is often not discussed is the treadwear rating (for US DOT requirements)
The higher the treadwear rating the longer the tyre wear duration
Treadwear, Traction and Temperature ratings are printed on the sidewall of most/all tyres and are actual tests compared to a stock tyre.

I look at these rather than any published "marketing" mumbo jumbo

Treadwear rating 600 in an ION, 360 in a Ventus (OEM tyre for MY)
Traction rating AA ION, AA Ventus

Reactions: navguy12 and AAKEE
What is often not discussed is the treadwear rating (for US DOT requirements)
The higher the treadwear rating the longer the tyre wear duration
Treadwear, Traction and Temperature ratings are printed on the sidewall of most/all tyres and are actual tests compared to a stock tyre.

I look at these rather than any published "marketing" mumbo jumbo

Treadwear rating 600 in an ION, 360 in a Ventus (OEM tyre for MY)
Traction rating AA ION, AA Ventus
Yes, we have the same here in EU (only for about the last 8 years or so, so most people that know tires knows the US spec on tje wheels.)
Side note, I did get M&H threaded slicks for my hobby car, and the car inspection where I did a change in the registration (regged as a modificated car) clild not find a max speed rating. M&H supplied a certificate alloving for maximum 500 mph!!! :)

Threadwear and very good grip selldom walks hand by hand.

The e-primacy that have a low rolling resistance also have very good threadwear numbers. Despite coming with ~6 mm instead of the regular 7-8 mm, they hold almost forever.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I have read many suggestions on how to leave your Tesla when going away and have struggled with some of those suggestions, until I watched the Tesla battery guru . Docotr Jeff Dahn explained how the stresses exerted upon battery cells can and do, damage cell structure and therefore it’s power out put and longevity. Anyone who is seriously concerned about enjoying their Tesla for many years, should find that video on YouTube. To his advice, I left my 2018 Tesla Model 3 in my garage …semi-insulated,in the middle of the Winter, unplugged and at a25% SOC ( he did say from 20%-30%) with Sentry Mode, Cabin Protection and Scheduled Conditioning OFF…but that is where my “interference” to Tesla’s smartness, ceased! I enjoyed 30 womderful days in Aruba sunshine, while Ontarians froze and shivered. During that time my Tesla was in a deep sleep state. As Docotr Dahn explained, your Tesla Battery is surprisingly smart and if you treat it right, will power your dream car for many years! I got home to 12% SOC battery. According to the Doctor’s battery cell structure examination over different stress scenarios, 20-30% SOC in cold Winter weather is ideal for “snuggled cells sleep”. Also, if you want to help your battery give maximum power over many years, DO NOT charge frequently to 90-100%…best battery charge practice is shallow frequent (from 10-20% thru’ to 65-75%) AND when going on long FREQUENT trips where you may not have frequent Superchargers, charge to 80-90% SOC. On the odd time charge to 100% SOC if you have to. Regular deep charging 10-20% SOC to 90-100% SOC will over time create so many cell stress cracks, that result in high degradation and cells life. Look for EV Battery Health with Dr Jeff Dahn Dalhousie U
Enjoy your ride,
Roscoe

• Informative
Reactions: KenC