Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
33k miles on my dual motor Oct 2018 build. I've lost about 10%, battery capacity is down to 284 miles.
FusionCharts (6).jpg

Thank you. As far as I know you are the first guy Tesla ever answered so specific.

Also: Was the mid range advertised as 260miles or as 264?.. That might change the % loss compared to new for warranty.

(It only changes the capacity loss on paper though, in practice is the same real loss either way)

thats fine if you drive a 15 year old beater tesla but not acceptable for a new car if all other cars dont have that issue. there must be some sort of consumer protection for this.

I can confirm Tesla says my range loss (which is -13.8%, measures myself because Tesla doesn’t directly answer) which was 10% first month is already normal. Three months later and beyond it’s around -13.8% “stable-ish”.. it slowly declines

In short:

A Long range model only has mid range range in reality, mid range has SR+ range and the SR+ model Model 3 has SR- range after 0.5-1-2years....

Is it really “good/fair” to advertise with full EPA range if first 10% is pretty much gone very quickly? Also add up the “charge to 90%” thing and our 240mi rated SR+ in reality only has 187mi rated range

(208mi at 100% x 0.90 = 187mi at 90% charge)

totally not expected on my part

Thank you. As far as I know you are the first guy Tesla ever answered so specific.

Also: Was the mid range advertised as 260miles or as 264?.. That might change the % loss compared to new for warranty.

(It only changes the capacity loss on paper though, in practice is the same real loss either way)

I can confirm Tesla says my range loss (which is -13.8%, measures myself because Tesla doesn’t directly answer) which was 10% first month is already normal. Three months later and beyond it’s around -13.8% “stable-ish”.. it slowly declines

In short:

A Long range model only has mid range range in reality, mid range has SR+ range and the SR+ model Model 3 has SR- range after 0.5-1-2years....

Is it really “good/fair” to advertise with full EPA range if first 10% is pretty much gone very quickly? Also add up the “charge to 90%” thing and our 240mi rated SR+ in reality only has 187mi rated range

(208mi at 100% x 0.90 = 187mi at 90% charge)

totally not expected on my part

see this is where i say you are wrong because most people have very little degradation amounting to make 1-2% after a year and then going down to 5% after 100k km. Even the HansJoerg Gemmingen Model S (1 million km) only has 12.5% degradation afaik.

So even though teslas 30% 8 year warranty is fine this shouldnt include clear outliers.

That said I wouldn't worry in your case, you will almost certainly get a new battery before the 8 years are over.
-vDvbC3g_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White

At least this shows that Tesla calculates degradation by rated miles, and not kWh, as some people have suggested. But this can certainly be confusing in the case where the charge constant was changed by Tesla via an update.
For example, for the people with cars that were bumped up from 310 rated miles to 325 rated miles, they should have degradation referenced to the 325 number, even though the car was rated at 310 when new.

But then again, maybe that bump to 325 was only temporary, and they reverted back to the 310 value. I don't know if they did that though.

see this is where i say you are wrong because most people have very little degradation amounting to make 1-2% after a year and then going down to 5% after 100k km. Even the HansJoerg Gemmingen Model S (1 million km) only has 12.5% degradation afaik.

So even though teslas 30% 8 year warranty is fine this shouldnt include clear outliers.

That said I wouldn't worry in your case, you will almost certainly get a new battery before the 8 years are over.
-vDvbC3g_400x400.jpg
Yes and... No

Model S degradation is what I expected but that battery seems to do better. Also: it’s not the original battery but replaced 2-3 times. Still impressive third pack though, better then my own SR+ that is actually a SR-

The average Teslafi degradation is 6.7% on my ODO (10mo old car 29k km) So I’d say my examples are pretty on point.
If the average is already ~7% capacity loss, there must be alot of people above 10% loss also.

Mid range when I bought it was advertised as 264 miles, though I believe it was initially marketed as 254 or something along that line.

• Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle
I jumped in to the ABRP degradation thread with this, but this seems like it might be a better place. For a data point, I have a March 2020 build SR with just over 5,000 miles, and ABRP is showing 7.5 percent degradation and 44.4 kW capacity. That seems steep, but is corroborated by a recent 140-mile round trip I took last weekend, starting from 100 percent, that used 89 percent of the battery, putting my actual capacity around 40.5 kW.

I'm doing everything by the book – the SR already has a built-in buffer over the SR+, but I plug it in every time it's parked at home and set the charge limit to 90 percent apart from the rare road trip. Never had this issue with my old 500e or i3. Not inspiring a lot of confidence!

E1B2BC38-A663-4343-9D7A-B83F3B0B4A2F_1_105_c.jpeg
IMG_5713.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and mrgoogle
I jumped in to the ABRP degradation thread with this, but this seems like it might be a better place. For a data point, I have a March 2020 build SR with just over 5,000 miles, and ABRP is showing 7.5 percent degradation and 44.4 kW capacity. That seems steep, but is corroborated by a recent 140-mile round trip I took last weekend, starting from 100 percent, that used 89 percent of the battery, putting my actual capacity around 40.5 kW.

I'm doing everything by the book – the SR already has a built-in buffer over the SR+, but I plug it in every time it's parked at home and set the charge limit to 90 percent apart from the rare road trip. Never had this issue with my old 500e or i3. Not inspiring a lot of confidence!

View attachment 579443 View attachment 579444

Can you link me to that thread?

Curious to know how ABRP calculates degradation...

if it soothes you, Our SR+ has about the same capacity “within specs “ they say..

(it’s 47.1 with buffer, hover around 44.9kWh useable because a 2.1kWh buffer)

• Helpful
Reactions: supraphonic
I don't think ABRP calculates true degradation, they just look at the amount you charge over % ( which is fairly accurate during a high charge)

View attachment 579443 View attachment 579444

I think time will tell. If you get 7.5% degradation but no further drops for the next 50000 miles than you probably have a good pack, your cells just started degrading earlier. Unfortunately at the moment we just dont have the data to know how to tell whether people have an early degrading pack or just bad cells (or just a confused BMS).

Can you link me to that thread?

Curious to know how ABRP calculates degradation...

if it soothes you, Our SR+ has about the same capacity “within specs “ they say..

(it’s 47.1 with buffer, hover around 44.9kWh useable because a 2.1kWh buffer)

Sure – no other SR/SR+ drivers over there at last check, though: ABRP Battery Degradation Comparison Post / Poll

This is helpful info too, thanks! How many miles are on yours now?

• Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle
I don't think ABRP calculates true degradation, they just look at the amount you charge over % ( which is fairly accurate during a high charge)

I think time will tell. If you get 7.5% degradation but no further drops for the next 50000 miles than you probably have a good pack, your cells just started degrading earlier. Unfortunately at the moment we just dont have the data to know how to tell whether people have an early degrading pack or just bad cells (or just a confused BMS).

Fingers crossed this is the case. If not and current trends continue, at least I'll be easily eligible for a new pack within warranty, as much as I've been hoping to avoid that for environmental reasons.

Fingers crossed this is the case. If not and current trends continue, at least I'll be easily eligible for a new pack within warranty, as much as I've been hoping to avoid that for environmental reasons.

indeed, the people who are most screwed are the ones who have like 8-9% degradation and its sort of stable. If you get 15% degradation in a year then we all know its a shoddy pack and it hopefully will get worse over the next 2-3 years and you get a replacement. (Such packs I think will sooner or later throw faults, even when not reaching 30% degradation afaik).