Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 LR. When i got the car (16 December 2019), it would have 499km at 100% and 447km at 90%.

now (22,000 km) it only gets 465km at 100% and 419km at 90%. I never use superchargers and follow all other guidelines.

That is a range loss of almost 7% in a short time. is that normal as well?

Don't worry about degradation, it levels out after the first year. My MS75D never showed it's rated mileage but is only down 3% from its starting point or 7% from its rated mileage.
As far as miles, the car will achieve miles claimed but it also takes electricity to run car systems from MCU to power steering, sentry mode to sleep mode and therefore daily trips will not add up to rated miles driven.
Wh at 270 per mile sounds high for your car. My car is rated at 286 and my long term average is about 270.

its one of the big issue with cars showing a lot of degradation early. Noone can really be sure whether its a bad pack or an early degrading pack. You get the odd person whining at 20k miles that they have 6% degradation and then you come back to them at 200k miles and they have 7% degradation. Like clearly they have a good pack and the early degradation probably protected the pack a bit as well.

A good case study will be inital Australian Model 3s which have all been affected by severe early degradation likely as they were all shipped over with <5% battery for a few months. So we will see if long term degradation will be lower on those.

its one of the big issue with cars showing a lot of degradation early. Noone can really be sure whether its a bad pack or an early degrading pack. You get the odd person whining at 20k miles that they have 6% degradation and then you come back to them at 200k miles and they have 7% degradation. Like clearly they have a good pack and the early degradation probably protected the pack a bit as well.

A good case study will be inital Australian Model 3s which have all been affected by severe early degradation likely as they were all shipped over with <5% battery for a few months. So we will see if long term degradation will be lower on those.
I have 6.6% degradation at 4k miles. Do you think it might be a bad pack?

I know this is probably the 5000th post about range, but.... I bought my model 3 at the end of quarter 2 (June 30) but my car was built in March 2020. I charged to 100% today and my rated range was 302. Based on the build date am I supposed to calculate degradation from 310 or 322?

I’ve also never seen range over 308 even when new but I though the car was supposed to come with a range of 322.

54499CFD-E497-44EF-80B0-8AF394BAAD5A.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D5DD708-2F75-4A84-82DA-F269248D605B.jpeg
    2D5DD708-2F75-4A84-82DA-F269248D605B.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 51
I know this is probably the 5000th post about range, but.... I bought my model 3 at the end of quarter 2 (June 30) but my car was built in March 2020. I charged to 100% today and my rated range was 302. Based on the build date am I supposed to calculate degradation from 310 or 322?

I’ve also never seen range over 308 even when new but I though the car was supposed to come with a range of 322.

View attachment 612014

(moderator note: Moved to master thread as discussion on this topic is occuring there.)

Lol.

Looks like the ppl that answered didn’t bother to read my question either. My question was when was the changeover from 310 to 322? Was it before or after my build date?

I dont remember when that change was made, but pretty sure there was no change in the car itself, only the scalars that the car uses to display that number on the screen, and adjustments for tires.

Hello all!
July 2020 Model 3 Long Range
Original rating: 320 miles
Rating after about 12k miles (6 months): 294 miles.

I know I know, so many things play into Rated Range, but I have seen other people’s graphs after nearly twice as many miles as me and now consider mine to be abnormal.

0BA54BF2-F680-4174-BB08-82AB99F09E03.jpeg

At a loss of 9% already, I am starting to get a bit concerned. Should I be? What can I do to make sure this isn’t concerning?

Thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hello all!

I know I know, so many things play into Rated Range, but I have seen other people’s graphs after nearly twice as many miles as me and now consider mine to be abnormal.

0ba54bf2-f680-4174-bb08-82ab99f09e03-jpeg.613139

At a loss of 9% already, I am starting to get a bit concerned. Should I be? What can I do to make sure this isn’t concerning?

Thank you!

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hello all!

View attachment 613139

Thank you!
I’m in the same boat. If you, like me do mostly short trips 10 miles or less, and it’s getting cold out, your range will suffer alot. Ive lost close to 7% according to Teslafi. I’m not going to worry about it anymore. Firstly because it doesn’t impact my day driving in any way. Secondly I don’t really trust Teslafi to give me a reasonable range. I drove one substantial trip, 80 miles each way and my estimated range ticked up a lot.. YMMV.

Hello,

from past few months, i have been observing my battery range has been decreasing. Currently i am at 28,000 miles.
Right now 90% is showing as 262 miles and 100% is showing as 291 miles. initially it was around 310 in my first year ( i never got advertised 325 miles).
Its been 2 years since i purchased the car. When i called Tesla service center they have mentioned there is nothing wrong with the battery.
is there a way to re calibrate the battery to make my range go up or something i should take my car to service center to fix the issue ?
I know there are various threads on this, but i am not satisfied with my range as from Day 1 i never got actual range ( 310 miles or 325 miles)

can anyone help me here

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The short answer is that seems to be within the normal bounds for degradation. Based on when you bought your car, 310 miles was the starting point, so you have less than 10% degradation over nearly 30k miles. Degradation will likely level off from here on out for many years.

For more detailed discussion, check out some of the threads stickied in this sub forum about how much degradation to expect and ways to possibly get some range back. This thread in particular might help you. There could be some BMS drift depending on your charging and usage habits.

Likely the best thing for mental health is to not worry about it too much. Even if you are frequently going on long road trips and supercharging, that 20 mile range loss just means that worst case you'll have to spend a few more minutes charging (2-4 minutes at a 150kW supercharger) to make up for the capacity loss. I'm usually a stats/numbers obsessed geek, but I've trained myself to not worry about battery degradation because that's just part of owning an electric car, and it rarely has any practical effects on the ownership experience.