Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to see 220mi on my SR at 100% charge, they replaced the battery and now new battery shows ~211 on average. They had it for 7 weeks so I am not sure if the software changed during that time. I asked why it wasn't charging to 100% of expected range, they tried to charge it a few times which also charged to ~211 and then said it's fine. I asked to see the battery health report and they declined and actually told me to open an arbitration claim if i am not happy, heh. Not sure what to make of that. Would be relieved if it was fixed in version 10 because getting the battery replaced and the new battery not fully charging to 100% of expected range at least out of the box doesn't seem right...

*For warranty claims specific to Battery capacity, the replacement Battery will be in a condition appropriate to the age and mileage of the vehicle sufficient to achieve or exceed the minimum Battery capacity for the remainder of the warranty period of the original Battery. Note that the vehicle’s range estimates are an imperfect measure of Battery capacity because they are a„ected by additional factors separate from Battery capacity. The measurement method used to determine Battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or re-manufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of Tesla.

*For warranty claims specific to Battery capacity, the replacement Battery will be in a condition appropriate to the age and mileage of the vehicle sufficient to achieve or exceed the minimum Battery capacity for the remainder of the warranty period of the original Battery. Note that the vehicle’s range estimates are an imperfect measure of Battery capacity because they are a„ected by additional factors separate from Battery capacity. The measurement method used to determine Battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or re-manufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of Tesla.

This was goodwill, not warranty replacement. And it was a new battery, not reconditioned. Car had 1K miles on it. One would expect a new battery would charge to the same rate as the original battery... They could have put it to bed if they provided the battery health report requested... but when they say file a claim if unhappy... That seems odd that they would want to pay arb fees of ~4k to take it through the arb process instead if they see there is actually nothing wrong with the battery...

They could have put it to bed if they provided the battery health report requested... but when they say file a claim if unhappy... That seems odd that they would want to pay arb fees of ~4k to take it through the arb process instead if they see there is actually nothing wrong with the battery...

They aren't likely to pay an arb fee as your case will likely be denied. The warranty doesn't cover degradation until it hits 30%, so filing for anything less than that would likely be denied out of hand. (Model S owners have already gotten denials any time they bring up range issues since on the model S there is no degradation warranty.)

yeah sadly my car is not even a year old but i do have 18,302 miles on it as of right now. My home to work round trip is similar to yours at around 65 miles. We are planning a weekend day trip to New York state from CT so the battery will be down in the low teens at our destination so a supercharging session will be in order. Whats interesting for my car is i have never run the car battery below 20% since owning it.

I have a M3 MR, also bought it in November 2018, and it also shows 241 at 100% and 217 at 90%. What a coincidence!

I too realize the other day when I had to charge to 100% that my range {long range dual motor M3} has decreased to 290 since updating to V10. Before all the Tesla groupies start telling me it’s degradation, my damn car is only two months old with less than 2500 miles. I’m so F@#king pissed. How in hell, what Audacity Does Tesla have to make them think they can just take something away from my car without permission and much less an explanation or even admitting they’ve done it. That’s like taking a car in for an oil change and the dealership removes your spare tire and not tell you. Then when you confront them about it, they tell you “no we didn’t, the car didn’t come with it.”
I will be seeking council from an attorney into a class action lawsuit. This is just BS.

47715100-D50F-414A-93A0-382298239EDB.jpeg

I too realize the other day when I had to charge to 100% that my range {long range dual motor M3} has decreased to 290 since updating to V10. Before all the Tesla groupies start telling me it’s degradation, my damn car is only two months old with less than 2500 miles. I’m so F@#king pissed. How in hell, what Audacity Does Tesla have to make them think they can just take something away from my car without permission and much less an explanation or even admitting they’ve done it. That’s like taking a car in for an oil change and the dealership removes your spare tire and not tell you. Then when you confront them about it, they tell you “no we didn’t, the car didn’t come with it.”
I will be seeking council from an attorney into a class action lawsuit. This is just BS.
View attachment 469032
LOL. Your battery is the same after the update. They did not take your tire without permission. The range estimate is different.

LOL. Your battery is the same after the update. They did not take your tire without permission. The range estimate is different.

the only thing that's different is that two moths ago I pick up my car brand new and the range was at exactly 310. Now I updated and at full charge the range is 290. please tell me who has had that kind of change before this battery-gate started.

Reactions: super20g
I have a Mid Range and getting 90% charge around 215 miles. As far as I can tell, the car is calculating range out of 57 kwh, which is about 90% of the 64kwh in the MR. I did start noticing the drop in the latter V9 builds, so it's not a V10 issue for me. At this point I am more curious than anything, but I do want that missing 26 ish miles for some of the trips I have planned in the near future. Hopefully future software builds return those miles to us.

I have a Mid Range and getting 90% charge around 215 miles. As far as I can tell, the car is calculating range out of 57 kwh, which is about 90% of the 64kwh in the MR. I did start noticing the drop in the latter V9 builds, so it's not a V10 issue for me. At this point I am more curious than anything, but I do want that missing 26 ish miles for some of the trips I have planned in the near future. Hopefully future software builds return those miles to us.
I think the Mid range had about 60-62kWh including the buffer, but you can only know if you get a CAN Bus cable.
Not sure what the typical line on the car is, on AWD LR is around 245 and on SR+ is around 220 so I guess if we take 225Wh/m( more weight) we end up at around 60kWh total. You can see the typical in your straight line under energy, drive close to it to see the actual number, switch between 10-20-30 miles to fine tune the value.

If we assume you now have 57-58, that wouldn't be surprising as the car looses the first 2kWh pretty fast.

On an LR you can expect 2kWh to be dropped within the first 10,000miles. On an LR that is about 2.5% and on MR 3.5% and 4% on SR. And you can expect at least 1-2kWh more within the next 30,000miles and then it should settle down.

Unfortunately nobody tells the SR/+ buyers that when they buy the car - a small battery has its disadvantages. Also - smaller battery, more cycles for the same miles, more drain, less battery life.

I would say you have normal battery degradation of about 57 full and around 55 usable. The difference I explainedin the video

we will see if the they can prove that. keeping 6% in reserve is not usable and was not what I purchased. You can't change a contract after both parties have signed and you can't sell me 100 M&Ms only to take ten out of the bag after I've paid.

I agree... I get annoyed af when service replaced my battery that charged to 220@100% with a new one out of the crate that only charged to 211@100%. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, especially when they refused to show me the battery health report to put me at ease.

I think the Mid range had about 60-62kWh including the buffer, but you can only know if you get a CAN Bus cable.
Not sure what the typical line on the car is, on AWD LR is around 245 and on SR+ is around 220 so I guess if we take 225Wh/m( more weight) we end up at around 60kWh total. You can see the typical in your straight line under energy, drive close to it to see the actual number, switch between 10-20-30 miles to fine tune the value.

If we assume you now have 57-58, that wouldn't be surprising as the car looses the first 2kWh pretty fast.

On an LR you can expect 2kWh to be dropped within the first 10,000miles. On an LR that is about 2.5% and on MR 3.5% and 4% on SR. And you can expect at least 1-2kWh more within the next 30,000miles and then it should settle down.

Unfortunately nobody tells the SR/+ buyers that when they buy the car - a small battery has its disadvantages. Also - smaller battery, more cycles for the same miles, more drain, less battery life.

I would say you have normal battery degradation of about 57 full and around 55 usable. The difference I explainedin the video

Thanks. Not sure that explain why I was getting 237 miles at 90% before one of the V9 updates. It was not a graduate drop, it was basically an overnight drop from 237 to 215.

This may be a bit off-topic, but in the 28 months of i3 ownership before turning it back at lease end, the car never lost a mile in its range, and the car is always charged to 100% (no battery charging level adjustment). I am a bit surprised how much battery management is required in the Model 3 to keep it healthy, even in short term (I have only had the Mid Range Model 3 for 7 months).

The video is nice but when you show Scan My Tesla data, you should show complete data, not just kWh. Showing SOC, rated miles, buffer size, etc., along with the kWh values makes it much easier to evaluate.

The video is nice but when you show Scan My Tesla data, you should show complete data, not just kWh. Showing SOC, rated miles, buffer size, etc., along with the kWh values makes it much easier to evaluate.
Will show more data when I do a trip test in about a week. It doesn't look like the weather will be nice enough to match the typical efficiancy, but still will be a nice test to see what the car does behind the scenes.

is use efficiency a factor? I thought SRs were more efficient?
Not quite sure what you mean by that. SR is more efficient and has a lower typical constant under energy.

Reactions: ran349