Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rapid discharge while parked at airport, how to contact a human for help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something appears to be vastly different than it was just a few weeks ago. I've had Smart Summon for quite a while and have never experienced the battery drain that I'm getting right now.

My car is sitting at the airport again and it's losing about 25 miles per day of range.

I'll have to disable the always-on smart summon thing and see if I get the same results when I travel next week. However - I travel nearly every week and last week was the first time I've experienced this. Something appears to have changed very recently.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is getting ridiculous, put the car to bed last night power button off, all wifi wiped out, air con fans were off before power down no usb, sentry, dashcam.
64 miles in the battery, woke up this morning with 47 miles in the "tank", drove to the golf club with 44 miles left, came back to the car 5 hours later (weather had warmed up during play) and had 34 miles left.

So it seems I am losing more than I am using, there must be a drain somewhere, any ideas as to where I might look next? Or do I have to ask Tesla?

this is unusally high. Sentry mode on?

Smart summon is a factor since I don't have it (no FSD) and I don't have this problem

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
this is unusally high. Sentry mode on?

Smart summon is a factor since I don't have it (no FSD) and I don't have this problem

The OP does not have FSD. The 44 to 34 mile drain over 5 hours was all below 20% charge, so none of the other features should have been enabled, unless there is some sort of bug where they stay on if you start below 20% (which I doubt).

10 rated miles over 5 hours for an SR+ is 209Wh/rmi*10rmi / 5 hours = 418W of power. This is a bit high for just not going to idle. It's actually a bit hard to explain by any known feature.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and vickh
Something appears to be vastly different than it was just a few weeks ago. I've had Smart Summon for quite a while and have never experienced the battery drain that I'm getting right now.

My car is sitting at the airport again and it's losing about 25 miles per day of range.

I'll have to disable the always-on smart summon thing and see if I get the same results when I travel next week. However - I travel nearly every week and last week was the first time I've experienced this. Something appears to have changed very recently.

The problem is the default settings for Smart Summon. By default the car has Standby Mode ON and also has the setting to disable it at home/work also ON. So unless you park the car for long periods in a place OTHER than home/work, you won't notice the extra vampire drain. Until, like the rest of us, you go on a trip and leave the car at the airport. Where is merrily drains the battery. When you can't get to it. And when you first notice there is no on/off toggle in the app. This was not one of the better design choices of Tesla imho.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
The problem is the default settings for Smart Summon. By default the car has Standby Mode ON and also has the setting to disable it at home/work also ON. So unless you park the car for long periods in a place OTHER than home/work, you won't notice the extra vampire drain. Until, like the rest of us, you go on a trip and leave the car at the airport. Where is merrily drains the battery. When you can't get to it. And when you first notice there is no on/off toggle in the app. This was not one of the better design choices of Tesla imho.
Ah! Good explanation. I didn't realize that it knows not to activate at work or home. That probably explains it.

And yes, they need a toggle for this in the app.

That makes perfect sense. Very good theory.

Is that car actually honking and going to sleep when you walk away?
I've had a kid not completely shut one of my doors. Came back hours later and the car was wide awake and had consumed quite a bit of power.

My SR+ is an insomniac and never sleeps it's costing me about 20+ miles a day/night when idle.
The noise is described as a quiet whirring sound from under the front wheel arches.
I have now shut down everything I can find, removed wifi, removed apps from phone key and just used the card key.
That seems to have nailed it, now it's silent. I shall turn on things one by one until it re-occurs.

Left overnight and started with cardkey this morning, still had the same miles as at 8pm last night.

Reactions: Falkirk and KerryOH
My SR+ is an insomniac and never sleeps it's costing me about 20+ miles a day/night when idle.
The noise is described as a quiet whirring sound from under the front wheel arches.
I have now shut down everything I can find, removed wifi, removed apps from phone key and just used the card key.
That seems to have nailed it, now it's silent. I shall turn on things one by one until it re-occurs.

Left overnight and started with cardkey this morning, still had the same miles as at 8pm last night.

Interesting. I believe that's the battery cooling fan(but I may be mistaken).

I used to have the exact same insomniac issue if a door was slightly cracked open. Then I stumbled across the cracked door theory on these message boards. The doors can be open just enough without the car alerting you that they are, but the car knows lol.
When you walk away from the car the mirrors stay open and it doesn't honk itself to sleep? The 40 foot mark is typically pretty reliable. Mine goes to sleep at literally the moment that I reach the 5th step of my staircase going into my house. It's very consistent.

It'll turn off sentry by itself after it gets to 20%. Then the drain will be much less.

Also, stop checking on the car. Every time you do you wake it up and it doesn't go back to deep sleep for like 8 hours.

that is way too long. Going to sleep should only take 15-30min.

This feature is also available natively with the Tesla app widget, which is available to everyone.

This is an example when the car is charging, but when it is asleep the widget ensures it stays asleep, unless you ask for a wake up.

And yes, this issue is caused by Smart Summon Standby Mode - when that's on, it barely matters whether or not you are constantly waking your car up. But it turns off at 20% with a variety of other features and you'll revert to 1% loss per day (unless you've turned off a bunch of features (data sharing, USB devices, WiFi, etc.) which might get you to 0.5% per day).

View attachment 486504

whats that green app you got which shows you time remaining to full etc.
And how come your Tesla thing is so detailed and gives you commands etc?
Mine only shows me if the car is connected or disconnected (within bluetooth range) and I do not have the option of using a widget. I am on android.

that is way too long. Going to sleep should only take 15-30min.

whats that green app you got which shows you time remaining to full etc.
And how come your Tesla thing is so detailed and gives you commands etc?
Mine only shows me if the car is connected or disconnected (within bluetooth range) and I do not have the option of using a widget. I am on android.

Stats app. Only available on iOS.

The car has to be awake to send data. The car has to send data for you to "check on" it. You tell me ;)

As discussed above, it's possible to get the last known status in iOS, though there may be occasional issues with the updating of the widget (also discussed above). Regardless, the widget is a useful option if you are trying to minimize your drain, because it allows you to see the car status (at some point in the past) without waking up the car. I use it all the time, just because it's more convenient for me. But not aware of availability of any such option in Android.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The seat sensor is an interesting one too. Do you have any heavy items in a seat? I've loaded the front seat with enough junk that the seatbelt warning comes on. All cars can think someone is sitting in an empty seat if there's enough weight.

When I'm in public I never walk away from the car for good until I hear it honk and see the mirrors fold in.
Regarding the slightly cracked doors....that comes from my passengers. Despite me telling them to slam the doors shut, they try to be super careful and baby the car. It's a novelty item for them so they don't want to play rough :)

I just went into the Summon Standby settings and noticed that there is an option to disable it while at Work, Home, and Favorites. You can toggle each one of these as desired.

So the easy solution for me is to the add the airport to my favorites. I don't use favorites anyway so this won't be an issue.

Hope this helps anyone else having this same issue.