Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rapid discharge while parked at airport, how to contact a human for help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to contact service directly??

My Model 3 is losing charge rapidly while parked at the airport and will be dead by the time I return
(170 miles to 63 in one week, two more weeks before I return....yes, climate control is off). I tried to
schedule mobile service, but it wouldn't let me fully describe the problem, specify the actual car
location, or choose a service date prior to my return on the 20th.

I tried the contact us link on Tesla.com and just got referred back to the service app. I googled and
found a number of 1-888-518-3752, but it doesn't connect.

Ideas?

The Tesla number I have on my contact list for the last 2 years is 877-798-3752. I called it just last month and got in touch with a person to fix my problem. You do have to wait a bit to get to a person. I really don't think they would be able to schedule Mobile service at the time of you arrival back at the airport. You are better off just get there first and call roadside assistance to toll your car to a charger or home to charge.

Are you sure you don't have anyone (family? friend?) there to take your car to a charger? Could you mail them your keycard? Losing that many miles in a week you must not have turned off summon standby. Last time I parked at an airport I lost about 3 to 4 miles a day. I turn everything off including mobile access.

Wonder how precise a favorite location is treated by the system.
Yea - I wondered the same thing. Guess I'll find out starting next week! If I need to I can set a new favorite for every parking deck I use at the airport. In general they are all within a quarter mile of each other. But I do know that the various parking garages (daily, hourly, long term 1, long term 2, etc) are all in the map database so I can just use that to set them when I arrive.

Yea - I wondered the same thing. Guess I'll find out starting next week! If I need to I can set a new favorite for every parking deck I use at the airport. In general they are all within a quarter mile of each other. But I do know that the various parking garages (daily, hourly, long term 1, long term 2, etc) are all in the map database so I can just use that to set them when I arrive.
Let us know! Also, do you ever use smart summon that makes "smart summon standby" actually useful? I typically pre-cool/heat the car when I'm on the way to it - so it's always awake anyway.

I can confirm that adding a new favorite while parked at the airport has solved my issue! It's easy. When you park just hold your finger down on top of your current spot on the map and add the favorite.

I parked my car at 8am EST this morning with 246 miles of range. As of 5pm EST I have 245 miles of range. I also noticed that it took much longer for my car to wake up within the app.

I still feel that the ideal solution is for Tesla to give us a toggle for this in the mobile App but this is a relatively easy solution as well. You just have to remember to do it each time your park in a new garage or parking lot.

I can confirm that adding a new favorite while parked at the airport has solved my issue! It's easy. When you park just hold your finger down on top of your current spot on the map and add the favorite.

I parked my car at 8am EST this morning with 246 miles of range. As of 5pm EST I have 245 miles of range. I also noticed that it took much longer for my car to wake up within the app.

I still feel that the ideal solution is for Tesla to give us a toggle for this in the mobile App but this is a relatively easy solution as well. You just have to remember to do it each time your park in a new garage or parking lot.

Do you use Smart Summon?

So you mean that they *do*. Slow greatly, that is.

Not really. Those higher loss rates are rates which would never be experienced by someone leaving at an airport (unless misconfigured of course). So there would be no change typically when transitioning below 20%. Obviously if the car is misconfigured it would be a huge change.

I was just clarifying that there is not apparently any low power mode until much lower SoC (no idea when...maybe a few %?). There are claims out there that the car will enter a low power state at 20% (implying less than 1% per day). That's not the case; it's a much lower % where that low power state kicks in to prevent battery death.

Wonder how things are going for @haliboot? Three more days! He is probably at 7% or so.

It stabilized. Currently at 42 miles and losing a mile or two a day, so I'll at least be able to make it to a charger. I finally heard back from Telsa. They claimed I had enabled "standby mode" and that this is totally expected behavior, and that the drain ends when you reach 20%. They offered to charge me (money) to come to the car and change the setting (but not to add any charge to the battery), which is completely useless since I've already hit the limit. I don't remember ever enabling any such stand-by option, and if I did, it certainly didn't give me a warning appropriate for the consequences.