Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated (350) vs real (260) miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why use the "non-trip charging cap" when commenting on trip range? Charging to 100% prior to a trip causes no harm. Use it when needed, I do agree with your point that 315 is not realistic!
Honestly? I have heard nothing good about continuously charging to Trip levels. I intend to keep this car for a long time, so I didn't want to "screw the pooch" when it comes to battery life.

Do you charge to 100%? I usually leave mine at my 90% "safe" level unless taking a trip. Is there really that much harm to the batteries, especially if not supercharging to 100% levels?

I'm referring to all the the other EV brands. You charge them to 100% every day. Except if you live on a mountain. Stop at 90% to allow for regen to save your brakes.

I charge my Tesla to 90%. My other cars get 100%.

Not surprisingly my Tesla does not have full regen at 90%. My XXXX has full at regen at 95-98% depending on the weather and precondition setting.

Reactions: PJFW8
Just like an ICE car, no two people will get the same mileage with the same vehicle because no two people drive the same way. The only "long" trip I made (so far) with my SP100D was to visit my daughter in Kentucky last year, a distance of 323.4 miles there and back to my house. My rated range at the time was 315 miles. I completed the entire trip there and back at highway speeds of 5 mph over the posted limit on 100% charge and 45 psi pressure in the tires when I left. I even made three ludicrous runs from 0-60 mph while there, and had 24 "rated" miles left when I got back (according to the gauge). Now granted, the speed limit lowers to 55 mph about 30-35 miles before arriving at her house, so about 60 of those miles down and back were done at 60 mph and less (non-interstate driving), but the vast majority (about 260 miles) of the driving done was at 75. YMMV.

Just like an ICE car, no two people will get the same mileage with the same vehicle because no two people drive the same way. The only "long" trip I made (so far) with my SP100D was to visit my daughter in Kentucky last year, a distance of 323.4 miles there and back to my house. My rated range at the time was 315 miles. I completed the entire trip there and back at highway speeds of 5 mph over the posted limit on 100% charge and 45 psi pressure in the tires when I left. I even made three ludicrous runs from 0-60 mph while there, and had 24 "rated" miles left when I got back (according to the gauge). Now granted, the speed limit lowers to 55 mph about 30-35 miles before arriving at her house, so about 60 of those miles down and back were done at 60 mph and less (non-interstate driving), but the vast majority (about 260 miles) of the driving done was at 75. YMMV.

So you are telling buyers that they will easily exceed EPA ratings in a Tesla by staying 5 mph over the speed limit on the freeways.

Show us today's "Lifetime Average Wh".

Anybody can hypermile an EV to 150% of it's EPA range. Talent will get you over 200%. But I don't think that's the topic.

EDIT - The reason I posted is because one of the magazines took a MS P100 on a 75 mph sustained mileage test. They didn't get even close to the EPA number. I know for a fact the Model X won't do it. Nor the last two Model S's I rented.

Last edited:
I much prefer more rubber and less steel. I'll be getting the 20" rims regardless of whether I choose the Performance or the ER. According to Tesla the larger rims account for a drop of about 30 miles over a full charge. The underlying factor in my question is how much the larger rear motor affects the range. Although I agree with DCGOO that it is my driving style that will ultimately decide my range for the most part, both sport and chill in the P model have acceleration caps that limit my ability to suck the batteries at full speed. Do either of those modes limit my energy draw enough for the Performance to reach the extended range of the ER if conditions are equal? It would also be good information to learn if the 305 rated mile range of the P model was accomplished totally in ludicrous mode. If the P model gets 305 in Ludicrous, if driven the same does the millage in sport and chill go up from there?

Chill limits the acceleration. But it does not reduce the energy required to get to your top speed. It just takes longer to get there.

Also the geometry of the wheels is not the important factor. The tires on the 20 inch wheels are low rolling resistance tires. The 22 inch tires are not, in fact the intent of 22 inch tires are to be more “grippy” to provide higher performance driving, at the expense of increased energy use.

My car came with 20 inch wheels. Tesla gave me a set of 22s (referral wheels) which I drove for 6,000 miles last year. I took them off last fall and sold them. They *looked* fantastic on my X, but not worth it (to me) for the increased energy consumption.

Last edited:
EDIT - The reason I posted is because one of the magazines took a MS P100 on a 75 mph sustained mileage test. They didn't get even close to the EPA number. I know for a fact the Model X won't do it. Nor the last two Model S's I rented.

Absolutely correct and expected. Because the EPA test is nowhere near 75 Mph. TBH, I don’t even know what my tank range is. I chose the energy display, just showing % full. If I need to know what range I have available, I just pop up the energy graph and use that value, since it is based upon MY driving history over the last 5, 15 or 30 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXLRplus
So you are telling buyers that they will easily exceed EPA ratings in a Tesla by staying 5 mph over the speed limit on the freeways.

Show us today's "Lifetime Average Wh".

Anybody can hypermile an EV to 150% of it's EPA range. Talent will get you over 200%. But I don't think that's the topic.

EPA doesn’t test at 75 mph. So no, you won’t get EPA at 75 mph. In fact they don’t go over 56 mph !!! Efficiency does go down rather quickly as you speed up over 60 mph.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bill Price
Absolutely correct and expected. Because the EPA test is nowhere near 75 Mph. TBH, I don’t even know what my tank range is. I chose the energy display, just showing % full. If I need to know what range I have available, I just pop up the energy graph and use that value, since it is based upon MY driving history over the last 5, 15 or 30 miles.
Using the percent remaining on the Nav system is more accurate because it takes into account hills and speed limits. For inclement weather and wind, you're on your own.

Chill limits the acceleration. But it does not reduce the energy required to get to your top speed. It just takes longer to get there.

Also the geometry of the wheels is not the important factor. The tires on the 20 inch wheels are low rolling resistance tires. The 22 inch tires are not, in fact the intent of 22 inch tires are to be more “grippy” to provide higher performance driving, at the expense of increased energy use.

My car came with 20 inch wheels. Tesla gave me a set of 22s (referral wheels) which I drove for 6,000 miles last year. I took them off last fall and sold them. They *looked* fantastic on my X, but not worth it (to me) for the increased energy consumption.
I decided on the ER with 20" two tone wheels. Main reason was my 12 year old son who will likely inherit the X in four years. I don't think he needs help being ludicrous. I'm not sure what I will have to do to compensate for not having the L+ mode. I've read that Tesla will be selling a car pretty soon that could fill the void. Something called a Roadster.

My conclusion with my car: On a long trip requiring 2+ charges, it takes 25% more time to get somewhere than with an ICE car, and then you somehow have to charge it at your destination. My last trip was 2 days charging at my daughter's (she has a gas dryer ha ha).